| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bed Stuy and East New York vegans?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:18 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Hey to all the BK vegans,

I am calling upon you for a quick survey if you would be so kind to do it. It requires going into a local supermarket, preferably one that is closest to your house despite maybe having fewer options or more expensive prices, and collecting a few pieces of data for me. I am conducting research for my food studies class, and would like to focus on the distribution and access of food variety. All I need from you are five prices of specific items, and a few pieces of other info that give an idea of location, proximity to home, and general quality and range in the store( is it geared toward a health conscious consumer, a particular ethnic group, cost savvy or frugal shoppers, etc and any other notable information you may find helpful. The food items are ;

Milk (half gallon regular cow's) - please note other available options like soy, low fat, flavored milk
Coffee (12 oz Folgers regular Colombian coffee can)
Kix 12 oz
Bread ( Wonder bread normal loaf) - please note other options esp labels denoting health or value added (like fortified with x, or now with extra fiber, or gluten free)
Produce- clean, fresh, good variety, maintained, draws in customers( this one will probably be simplest, considering we are a savvy lot when it comes to fresh produce)

If you could include a general layout of the store, just like what the store's aisles ended with, what was sold at the register, were WIC labels on items ( like the Kix) and was produce actually in a good lot of the store, all these bits would be helpful. Here's the catch; I need this info by Tuesday afternoon but I was hoping anyone going to get groceries by then might already consider these things... Or maybe would be willing to help. I can compensate with a snack of your choice mailed to you to the first five people who help me with this! Just so you don't think I'm going to ask you for your help without returning the favor. Finally, you can PM me here or email me at Jess.sans1@gmail.com (much preferred). Thank you for your help.

Ps, this is due to being sick last week for days with a high fever, not procrastination...just adding that.

Post subject: Re: Bed Stuy and East New York vegans?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:47 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Really? No takers? It's really really easy, will take 5 mins of your time, and will help me avoid having to take an unreasonably long trip to Bk at midnight after work. Plus you get a free bag of white choco chips in the mix...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:51 am 
Level 7 Vegan

i didn't offer because i live much further away from that area than you do.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:26 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Hmm, I can see how that might be a deterrent... no worries!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:23 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Welp, I presented this slideshow to my class but was OVER prepared, so I hope that doesn't detract from all the research I put into this assignment. I would have really enjoyed having an example to show people, but I just did an all-text slideshow, which is good for people who like reading quickly but not really great for most people. I was able to use the info to help a friend give terms to his own research, so that's a plus! Still gonna do this for my own interest later on.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:39 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

GUYS! Marion Nestle, an expert on Urban Food Gaps, is a professor at my school! I'm gonna try reaching out to her to see her findings on the matter, but I am so excited.