| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:53 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Well, to counter that: the removal of my first and the insertion of the second in the same setting did not hurt at all. I expected the worst pain ever but it did not hurt at all. (Unlike my first time, which was painful in a way that was pretty close to what I imagine giving birth feels like. Also, I nearly fainted that time.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vijita wrote:
esme wrote:
why do you tell me these things?

YES, WHY?!

Signed,
Expired IUD still in my body.

I'm sorry, guys! And I took an Atavin! I'm really, really squeamish, though. Eh.

Next up, what craft to make with my used up IUD? Hmmmm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:36 am 

jdfunks wrote:
vijita wrote:
esme wrote:
why do you tell me these things?

YES, WHY?!

Signed,
Expired IUD still in my body.

I'm sorry, guys! And I took an Atavin! I'm really, really squeamish, though. Eh.

Next up, what craft to make with my used up IUD? Hmmmm

They let you take it home? That's so cool! I sort of wanted to ask for mine but didn't dare to. :(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:53 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I just got a Mirena! I am psyched. I would prefer not to use hormones, but I scared of the heavy bleeding and cramps that may come with the paraguard. After reading this thread I expected insertion to hurt but it was barely anything. I did not need a tylenol or local anethestic or anything. Maybe it's because a human has already passed through my cervix? This was my first visit to a new obgyn and I really liked her. Yay! No babies!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:27 am 
Married to the wolfman

Awesome! Congrats!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Paloma wrote:

They let you take it home? That's so cool! I sort of wanted to ask for mine but didn't dare to. :(

Errr, I may have stolen it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:35 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Yay mitten! So glad it went well.

I kept my Paraguard too. I don't know what I want to do with it... I just think it's kinda neat, and if I ever have a female child, I can show her what birth control looked like "back in the day."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:40 am 

jdfunks wrote:
Paloma wrote:

Errr, I may have stolen it.

I'm imagining you in that hospital room, going all like: "LOOK A THREEHEADED MONKEY OVER THERE!" and shoving it in your sock.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:25 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I have been having a lot of trouble with my Paraguard. My cramps are terrible. I am bleeding a lot. I started my period the 3rd of April and have continued to spot since then. Today, I was driving to my Grandma's which is two hours away and I had to stop to buy pain relievers. I drink butt loads of moon cycle tea every month which is expensive, but effective.

My boyfriend thinks I should get it removed. I agree, but don't know what else to go on. I have migraines so I don't do hormones. We were using condoms, but my boyfriend is enormous and uncircumcised. The big condoms we were getting (Trojan Magnums) give me terrible yeast infections and giving him no pleasure.

I have had my IUD for about ten months. I go back and forth about it. I want it removed because it hurts, but it was expensive (I should have told Planned Parenthood how poor I am instead of practically cleaning out my savings for it). I also don't want to take a pill every day, gain weight, or insert anything before having sex. Anyone have some suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:36 am 
Chip Strong

I'm sorry, BrownieFiend. Are your cycles predictable? One suggestion is to start taking a NSAID like ibuprofen, 600 mg every 6-8 hours, around the clock starting a day or two before you expect your period. It's been shown to not only prevent painful cramps, but actually reduce the amount you bleed. Keep taking it until your period is winding down. Maybe it's worth a try for a few more cycles before you consider getting it removed?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:53 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

mooo wrote:
Maybe it's worth a try for a few more cycles before you consider getting it removed?

Yes, if you think you can bear it for a little while longer, I would do that! I was in pain for a full year, now it's really nothing. My boyfriend also urged me to just get it removed because I was in so much pain and bleeding so much, but I wanted to see if I could wait it out.

Have you had a checkup to make sure it's in place properly?

If you are utterly miserable (and hugs! I understand!), have you considered switching to the Mirena? People seem to have way less issues with cramping and blood with that one, and it doesn't seem like many people experience weight gain. If getting PP to handle some of the cost is an option, do it!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:06 am 

I agree with vijita: See if you can get it checked out, just to be sure that it's properly 'installed' as it is or whether that might be an explanation for your pain and bleeding.

Also, when my Mirena made me hurt sometimes in the past, taking Aleve Feminax (= special women cramps related painkillers) relieved me tons. Is there anything similar available where you live ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:38 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

BrownieFiend wrote:
I also don't want to take a pill every day, gain weight, or insert anything before quietly playing chess. Anyone have some suggestions?

Have you thought about the nuva ring?

It requires some inserting before chess-time but I used to be a fan of female condoms, which I always got for free first from my old nurse practitioner then from the clinic I get STD tested at. Not very sexy looking, but I felt like it felt better and if size is an issue with regular ones, it shouldnt be with these.

Also I dont think every location does this, but my friend got her paraguard for free from PP when she was unemployed, so definitely check out what low-income options they have.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:11 am 
Married to the wolfman

I think my period is coming for the first time since I got my paragard. It feels like something is trying to claw its way out of my abdomen. Taking a shiitake ton of ibuprofen and battening down the hatches. Wish me luck y'all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:31 am 
Level 7 Vegan

coldandsleepy wrote:
I think my period is coming for the first time since I got my paragard. It feels like something is trying to claw its way out of my abdomen. Taking a shiitake ton of ibuprofen and battening down the hatches. Wish me luck y'all.

Good luck! I hope all goes well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:03 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

electric_claire wrote:
BrownieFiend wrote:
I also don't want to take a pill every day, gain weight, or insert anything before quietly playing chess. Anyone have some suggestions?

Probably not the ideal choice for someone with migraines because of the oestrogen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:58 pm 

Chipmunk wrote:
electric_claire wrote:
BrownieFiend wrote:

Probably not the ideal choice for someone with migraines because of the oestrogen.

oops, missed the no hormones, just saw that she didn't want to take a pill every day.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:52 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Could my iud (mirena) be causing my lower-left abdominal cramps? These aren't like period cramps (haven't had a period or those cramps since getting it 2.5 yrs ago). I've had the cramps off and on for nearly 2 years. And sex often hurts in different positions, in that specific spot where I'm getting the cramps. I probably need to call my doc (like, today) because this is the 4th consistent day that spot has been a little sore. It's never terribly painful, but sore/uncomfortable enough to notice and keep me concerned.

Some additional background about my crazy effed up insides: I used to get uti's every time I had sex, no mater what I did to try to prevent it. I was convinced something was wrong and there was a better solution than the same medication every time so I went to mutiple doctors, but they all told me I'm simply more susceptible to uti's. This started before I got the iud, which didn't seem to have any affect on the uti's. So now (and for the last year or more) every time I have sex I take a pill (nitrofurantoin). I'm in a long-term relationship and I've been taking these pills (aka, having sex w/ the bf) 3 or 4 times a week for a couple of years. I hate taking this many pills for many reasons but if I miss one I'll get a uti. I'm also afraid the pills are just masking a bigger problem, like whatever is causing these cramps. I've expressed my concerns to 3 different doctors, but they've all brushed me off and almost convinced me I'm fine. What the heck is wrong with me?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:12 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm a little confused. I was wondering if any of you know about oral contraceptives vs ones "inserted" (i.e. nuva ring, Mirena). I'm wondering mostly about the side effect of both (if they differ) and if coming off of them differs. I remember feeling super shitty emotionally. Any body know if there's a difference?

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:00 pm 
Saggy Butt

I finally just got my Paragard reinserted (well, a new one, hah) 3 months after giving birth! Yay! I can't believe how much easier insertion is after having a kid. It barely hurt and only briefly, and I didn't have any cramping at all. The first time I was laid up on the couch with a heating pad the rest of the day.

I'm so excited to not be able to get pregnant again.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:22 am 

KrissyJo wrote:
What the heck is wrong with me?

I have no knowledge that would be of any use with regards to your problems, but I know for sure that the medical system knows fork all about these sort of lady problems. Literally, they have no bloody clue what's going on with us down there, especially if it's something vague and/or something that occurs occasionally. Don't blaim yourself, it's these people that probably try their best but the knowledge and/or research about woman's health is just backwards as fork, in my opinion.

Hugs.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:27 am 

sarahnorine wrote:
I'm a little confused. I was wondering if any of you know about oral contraceptives vs ones "inserted" (i.e. nuva ring, Mirena). I'm wondering mostly about the side effect of both (if they differ) and if coming off of them differs. I remember feeling super shitty emotionally. Any body know if there's a difference?

In my personal experience, Microgynon 30 and the Nuva Ring drove me up the wall emotionally, whereas my Mirena doesn't affect my mental stability at all, despite the fact that there's hormones in there as well. Could it perhaps be that it's such a low dose, which is already present in the physical location where it needs to be active, instead of travelling through your entire gastro-intestinal system? Anyway, it releases the hormones in the most minimal doses 24/7 rather than taking a pill with a way higher dose at one pinpoint in time, so there's less opportunity for an artificial hormonal peak. That might make the difference as well.

This might be different for someone else, but in my experience, the Mirena is so much better for my emotional balance than the pill/Nuva Ring.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:21 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Paloma wrote:
sarahnorine wrote:

In my personal experience, Microgynon 30 and the Nuva Ring drove me up the wall emotionally, whereas my Mirena doesn't affect my mental stability at all, despite the fact that there's hormones in there as well. Could it perhaps be that it's such a low dose, which is already present in the physical location where it needs to be active, instead of travelling through your entire gastro-intestinal system? Anyway, it releases the hormones in the most minimal doses 24/7 rather than taking a pill with a way higher dose at one pinpoint in time, so there's less opportunity for an artificial hormonal peak. That might make the difference as well.

This might be different for someone else, but in my experience, the Mirena is so much better for my emotional balance than the pill/Nuva Ring.

My doctor told me the same exact thing. Since the IUD is inserted into your uterus, the hormones are a lower dose and are "localized." Personally, my body reacts a lot better to the IUD than the pill. I took Yasmin for two years, and now I have had the IUD (Mirena) for 2 years. But like everything in this world, people react differently to different things. The IUD might be great for some people, while it might be complete havoc for others. I had a lot of breakthrough spotting for the first 3 months. After that initial period, I have only had one "period" that lasted for three days. For me, the breakthrough spotting was completely worth it. I do not have mood swings like I did on the pill. I never cry, and while I was on the pill, I cried at everything. It was awful.

Sarahnorine, I would discuss everything in detail with your doctor. I loved how my doctor took me into her office and discussed all the options and which one would be best for me based on my history. I know some people say those more prone to depression may have some problems with the IUD. This has not been the case for me, thankfully. Stay away from "googling" IUD reviews..I still regret looking at what some people had to say.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:32 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I had my placement check today... I've been a little worried about the thing because I've only ever successfully felt the strings once and my partner has NEVER been able to feel them.

It's right where it should be though, lookin' all cool on the ultrasound. I'm relieved and pleased, but sad that I forgot to ask for a print out of the ultrasound.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:57 pm 

I had the Paraguard since early 2008 and got awful cramps and long , heavy periods on it. I recently got it removed because my husband got a vasectomy, and Lard am I glad I took it out. My periods are no longer crampy nor heavy. I do think it was an amazing form of contraception, and I would have liked to have kept it, but it was really uncomfortable and my hubs was sweet enough to get neutered.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 29  Next