| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your first vegan cookbook?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:34 am 
Tofu Pup

My first was The Asian Vegan Kitchen by Hema Parekh. My mom got it for me before I was vegan.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:13 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Mine was VWAV. Lost my tofu virginity to the tofu scramble.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:43 pm 
Saggy Butt

I bought VCON and VWAV at the same time. My son had just announced he was becoming vegan, and I didn't even know what it meant, but figured I'd better learn so I could feed him! I became vegan pretty quickly, and he eventually gave it up (sadly).

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:51 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Mine was The Voluptuous Vegan by Myra Kornfield - I remember thinking how incredibly complicated all the recipes were! So many steps! I was also a very, very inexperienced cook (I "made food" but I didn't really cook). I remember prepping some kind of eggplant tofu dish, saying "Press tofu? What the heck does that mean?" and wound up with a watery mess - I can't actually find the recipe in the book now, so your guess is as good as mine as to what the heck I was doing.

I know how to press tofu now.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:26 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Mine was either How It All Vegan or Vegan Cooking for One by Leah Leneman. The title of that book kind of makes me sad, haha.
I haven't used either for years but I do have fond memories of the dessert chapter from How It All Vegan, especially the chocolate pudding cake!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:10 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

When I decided to "try" veganism for two weeks, I ordered Veganomicon. Two weeks later I bought Appetite for Reduction. 18 months later, I'm still "trying" veganism and I have at least half a dozen other vegan(ish) cookbooks!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:34 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

ComradeSquirrel wrote:
Mine was either How It All Vegan or Vegan Cooking for One by Leah Leneman. The title of that book kind of makes me sad, haha.
I haven't used either for years but I do have fond memories of the dessert chapter from How It All Vegan, especially the chocolate pudding cake!

Oh yes, the chocolate pudding cake is great!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:54 am 
Ninja Master

I am pretty sure that it was VWAV, but it may have been Hot Damn & Hell Yeah, if that counts? I love the lentil burgers from that little book, I must dig it out.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:28 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

VWAV - and the Sparkled Ginger Cookies were the first recipe that made me realize that you didn't need eggs and butter to make really forking delicious baked treats. They are still my all time favorite cookie!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:37 pm 
Crazy bat lady

How it all vegan! I haven't pulled that out in awhile.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:04 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

La Dolce Vegan!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:02 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I had early copies of Diet for a Small Planet and Laurel's Kitchen as a teen, probably not long after they were published. I was never fully vegetarian until a few years ago but ate many vegetarian meals.

The first vegan cookbook I ever bought was in 1996 - The Eldamar Cookbook by a Newfoundland author. I am not sure if I ever made anything from it but it was interesting reading. I still have it - should dig it out and have another look. http://www.marianfranceswhite.com/index ... 7&Itemid=2

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:22 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My first was Robin Robertson's 1000 Vegan Recipes. I have her to thank for getting me started on vegan cooking. As others have pointed, some times her recipes are a bit bland, but overall they are good, solid recipes that you can turn to. I also have her Vegan Planet and Quick-Fix Vegan.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:08 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

molasses jane wrote:
Mine was a tiny little orange book from the early 90s called "Burgers, Fries, and Cinnamon Buns". Does anyone else remember that one? My first vegan pancakes came from that book. It wasn't that great, but it helped me greatly as I became vegan and realized I could still eat food that was recognizable to my raised-on-meat-and-potatoes high school self.

!!!!!!

This was the first cookbook I ever checked out from my elementary school library when I was probably in 1st or 2nd grade! I remembered this book a year or two ago when I really started to get into buying vegan cookbooks, but couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called! When you mentioned the title and that it was from the early 90s, I googled it and sure enough, that's it. Totally buying a used copy of it for nostalgic reasons, but yeah, I don't remember the recipes being too terribly awesome, although I still have fond memories of my mom and I making a few recipes from the book together to try.

In short, thank you for helping me re-discover that book since not remembering what it was called would occasionally greatly bother me... kind of like when you know the melody of a song but not any words, so you can't look it up to figure out what it is!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:16 am 
Saggy Butt

Mine was How it All Vegan. I still love the "Brainless Banana Pancakes" and the shredded potato remedy for dark undereye circles.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:34 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Several books in Croatian I didn't like ("Soya dishes"; macrobiotic ones "Tofu", "Seitan"). So, VWAV was the first one worth mentioning. I have British edition, the postage was cheaper for it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:05 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I unintentionally bought 2 vegan books a few years ago. I was looking for baking books without dairy and gluten so I got Babycakes and The flying apron. My first intentional vegan cookbook purchases was VWV (british version) and AFR. Out of all the cookbooks I have AFR is getting the most use.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

1st VwAV
2nd Party Vegan by Robin Robertson

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:56 pm 
Tofu Pup

Think it was either VWAV or Little Vegan Monsters (think that was the name). I really had no idea how to cook, so I learned my way around the kitchen through VWAV. Loved the chickpea-hijiki sandwich recipe so much.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:40 am 
Nailed to the V

Veganomicon, in January 2008. I had a couple of vegetarian cookbooks before that, I was a mostly vegetarian kind of omnivore.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:04 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Mine was vegan with a vengeance, but I was also reading The ultimate Vegan guide that's when I went vegan, but before those I had vegan cookies invade your cookie jar and vegan cupcakes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:54 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I saw it get one mention earlier, surprised there aren't more. There's some honey in it I think but otherwise vegan:

The American Vegetarian Cookbook. Kinda fatphobic. Kinda cray-cray. Requires doubling or tripling the amount of salt called for. But those mock meat ("stedda") marinades? I still use them lots and am surprised not to see anything like them in other cookbooks!

ETA: when I look at that sweater she's wearing it makes me realize how long I've been vegetarian (didn't go vegan until almost a decade later) and feel proud of myself.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:14 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Veganomicon while I was still an omni. It sounded like a great culinary cookbook (it is) so I bought it and read it. Even marked a few recipes. But I put it away for a couple of years until I swtiched to being a vegetarian and I brought it back out. I'm only made a handful of things so far, but I love it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

Mine was actually Chloe's Kitchen. I'd seen her on Cupcake Wars and then thumbed through the book in a store, and then got it a few months later. It seemed like a great entry point into veganism, because she makes things so accessible and it didn't seem like she was using too many ingredients that were foreign to me at that point. Because of that book I became brave enough to try seitan and tempeh for the first time, and her fauxstess cupcakes were the hit of my son's birthday party!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:16 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

VWAV and HIAV, both UK editions, both ordered at the same time. I used HIAV alot when I was learning to cook, but now that I'm more experienced I use VWAV alot more. Both books are covered in notes and food stains and have ripped binding!

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next