| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Twin Cities
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:28 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Garrick wrote:
dandykins wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Evergreen but maybe I'm just not getting the right dish - what did you guys have?

I've had a couple different things, but keep going back to the sesame chicken. Highly recommended!

Ohhh, I haven't tried that - thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:47 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Hello TC peeps.

I will be staying DT Minneapolis in April. My wife , 3 1/2 year old daughter and I are going to the Twins home opener on the 9th. We're staying downtown. We live in South Dakota and NEVER get to go to any all vegan or vegetarian places. I'm looking for recs for places downtown. We'll be hitting up Pizza Luce for sure but I'm looking for other places downtown as well.

Also any kid friendly activities downtown?

I used to frequent the cities a lot but nothing I did while I was there was remotely kid friendly...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I don't really know about downtown, but the Seward neighborhood has a lot of good vegan or veg-friendly places to eat.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:20 pm 

Not sure about kid-friendly places per se but Grumpy's downtown is good for comfort food - it's a bar, but that said, I don't think kids would be out of place until around 8pm or so. They have a great bbq mock duck sandwich that you can get with tots and a decent craft beer selection. There are LOTS of great places a little ways from downtown, depending on what your tastes are. Lots of folks recommend Evergreen (on Nicollet Av, aka "eat street"); my favorite Nicollet Av restaurant is this hole-in-a-wall Vietnamese place called Jasmine Deli. Tiny but really good mock duck (choose from curried, which is spiced but not hot, or regular) bahn mi sandwiches and tasty broth soup. Many enjoy Ecopolitan (good but expensive and I'm really not into the whole slow food/slow service thing myself but I know others really like it.) Seward Cafe on Franklin Av is great for breakfast and will give you the complete urban-old-school-hippie experience, and is very kid-friendly. And you can't go wrong with Triple Rock (on Cedar at I-94) for brunch on the weekend. Try anything with the vegan nacho cheese - it's really good. Their mac and cheese, which is a nooch-based sauce, is my all-time favorite.

Not exactly what you're looking for, I know, but hopefully a start.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:37 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Guys, get over to the Donut Cooperative now. Good stuff right there.

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:58 am 
Smuggling Raisins

sarahnorine wrote:
Guys, get over to the Donut Cooperative now. Good stuff right there.

On my to-do list! I drive by there when I'm on my way to go run each week and I can't believe I've never stopped

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:34 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

dandykins wrote:
I love that softserve at the Wedge. It's to die for.

I'm not a huge fan of Evergreen but maybe I'm just not getting the right dish - what did you guys have?

Here's what we've ordered and liked: veggie & tofu chow fun, veggie & tofu lo mein, three cup tofu, buddha's delight, mock duck & broccoli, veggie spring rolls

My kids love the chow fun and lo mein, my husband and I love (!!) the three cup tofu. We've tried to order less food because we always bring stuff home, but our kids like the variety. Our son loves bok choy so we always get the Buddha's delight, and we have one daughter who loves the mock duck. We all love the spring rolls.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:18 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Get the pepper fried mock pork from Evergreen! Effing awesome.

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:29 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Hey Twin Cities folks! I'm really appreciating all the recommendations in this thread, thanks!!

Is this place a vegan desert (aside from Subway, etc)? Can anyone recommend a decent place to eat in the mall?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:57 am 

Vegan desert? No. In the mall? Maybe. I haven't been in the mall in a really long time so I can't recommend anything there. But if you end up in Uptown in Mpls, there are TONS of options. Check out www.vegguide.org/region/13 - you can sort restaurants by proximity to your location, especially if you look the link up on a smart phone, and there are lots of reviews.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Whoops, sorry about that! I edited my post so much that I left out pertinent info! I meant the Mall of America. I can figure out vegan stuff at all the normal chains in the mall but I meant to ask if there were any special vegan things to eat at the Mall of America. From my very brief googling, the answer is no, it's like any other mall, but I figured I'd check with you guys too.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:26 pm 

couroupita wrote:
Whoops, sorry about that! I edited my post so much that I left out pertinent info! I meant the Mall of America. I can figure out vegan stuff at all the normal chains in the mall but I meant to ask if there were any special vegan things to eat at the Mall of America. From my very brief googling, the answer is no, it's like any other mall, but I figured I'd check with you guys too.

Got it! Shoot, I can't help you there : ( I know Rainforest Cafe has a veggie burger but I don't know if it's vegan.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:42 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thank you for all the amazing ideas and info Minnie-ites and Paulie-ites! I will be vacationing in Minneapolis/St.Paul May 20- May 27, 2012. Any updates (new or recently closed restaurants/co-ops/etc) or special events for our trip? Also, we are attending a Twins game one evening - I have the list of vegetarian options the stadium provides, but any recommendations for food in or near Target Stadium would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:18 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

There's a Pizza Luce downtown, but I'm not sure how close it is to the stadium.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:29 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Hey Twin Cities folks!

I'll be visiting a friend June 1-3. We're both homebodies but we are trying to go out more so we're looking for nighttime stuff to do - music, shows, comedy, anything really, but not too rowdy. Do you guys have any insider info of cool stuff going on? Or can anyone give a recommendation for a nice bar or a place to listen to music?

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:56 pm 

couroupita wrote:
Hey Twin Cities folks!

I'll be visiting a friend June 1-3. We're both homebodies but we are trying to go out more so we're looking for nighttime stuff to do - music, shows, comedy, anything really, but not too rowdy. Do you guys have any insider info of cool stuff going on? Or can anyone give a recommendation for a nice bar or a place to listen to music?

Thanks!!

You might try checking out the City Pages (www.citypages.com) - they keep a calendar of all kinds of stuff. Not sure what your tastes are but you'll probably find something there! (I'm not cool enough to really provide insider info outside of that, but maybe someone else on the TC thread is.)

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:30 pm 
Tofu Pup

couroupita wrote:
We're both homebodies but we are trying to go out more so we're looking for nighttime stuff to do - music, shows, comedy, anything really, but not too rowdy. Do you guys have any insider info of cool stuff going on? Or can anyone give a recommendation for a nice bar or a place to listen to music?

Common Roots (Uptown) is really chill in the later evenings. No music or anything, but keep that in your back pocket in case you want something quiet. Their patio is great - very relaxing, and they always have a small but mighty local beer list and a few wines.

Acadia sometimes has good live music and never gets rowdy. Let me rephrase: Acadia almost always has live music. Sometimes I think it's good. your mileage may vary.

Look to see who's playing at the Cedar that weekend. Their set-up is way more mellow (aka, sit down with your beer) than most concert venues and they usually have some interesting world music or international musicians.

I'm not all that big into the live music scene (similarly disinterested in rowdy), so that's all I've got. Enjoy your visit!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:28 pm 
Tofu Pup

Anyone know a place in Minneapolis that sells Lizano Sauce, preferably close to the Whittier/Uptown area? Apparently, Cosecha Imports at the Midtown Global Market used to sell it, but when I went to check it out it appears to have closed and El Burrito Mercado is moving in their spot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:03 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I just returned from spending an amazing week in the Twin Cities - I can now firmly state that the vegan food options are to die for! Also, I am now obsessed with mock duck - apparently Iowa (my home state) is sadly lacking in this delicacy. I already smuggled a can of mock duck across state lines and made Tortilla Soup with Mock Duck (from the BIG VEGAN cookbook).

Anyhoo, I reviewed all the restaurants we ate at on my vegan foodie blog (http://feedsack.blogspot.com/) and I thought it might be helpful for visitors or newbies to the area. I cannot WAIT to visit again in November - birthday trip! Thank you to all the forum posters here and to the vegweb guide for helping us eat so well! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:08 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Hey all - moving to St. Paul from Milwaukee at the end of July for an Americorps position! Aside from all these great food recommendations, is there anything else I should know? I especially need help with getting to know neighborhoods, as I don't have an apartment or a roommate as of yet...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:46 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I recently had a whirlwind visit to Minneapolis and I was impressed! I got to try two dreamy pizzas made with Rinotta at Pizza Luce, a decadent coconut milk soft-serve-based milkshake at the Wedge, a raspberry-rosewater-pistachio doughnut at the donut cooperative, and several hearty breakfasts at Seward Cafe. Everything there was good...the biscuits and gravy, hashbrowns, and pancakes especially. I'm kind of jealous of your food options, actually! I hope I get to go back one day.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:54 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'll be coming for a visit due to a wedding in September. The trip will be quick (arrive Fri afternoon and leave 48 hours later). The reception is at the Science Museum, and our hotel will be in the same area. Anything close by that we absolutely need to eat/see? I'm hoping to not have to rent a car. Is public transportation easy enough that I could figure things out/find some really neat neighborhoods and vintage shops? I'll have Fri afternoon/evening and Sat and Sun mornings to explore with the boyfriend, so recommendations would be awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:46 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

There's not a lot of places in downtown St. Paul, but Senor Wong (more dinner/bar/loungey type restaurant) has a mock duck taco that is delicious (make sure to order without cheese). Also, here's the mass transit website: http://www.metrotransit.org/ There should be a fair amount of buses going in and out of DT St. Paul. Summit and Grand Avenue are fun areas with a lot of shops. Pizza Luce (tons of vegan options for brunch, lunch and dinner) is on Selby a little bit west of downtown. There should be a bus from DT St. Paul to DT Minneapolis too if you wanted to explore the other side of the river.

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:45 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Just looked at a menu for Pizza Luce. SOOOO excited. The bf was practically drooling. I am totally staking this thread for more ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Pizza Luce is my absolute favorite place to eat. Get the mock muffeletta.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next