| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:58 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Anyone have this? My mother just bought a copy for herself and a copy for me, and I'm sitting on her couch deciding what to make for dinner.

Currently considering roasted parsnips and sweet potatoes with caper vinaigrette, baked tofu of some sort, and and green couscous salad (the parsnips/sweet potatoes and couscous are both from the book), but will take other suggestions. The only thing I've made from this book was the black pepper tofu, which was almost the best thing I've ever eaten.

Post subject: Re: Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:27 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I have it. Of anyone doesnt have it, by the way, heaps of his recipes appear here http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... vegetarian.

My favourite thing is his ribollita. I just use a vegan pesto and it usually less broth than he calls for and it is delicious. I think he may call it something like chickpea and tomato soup, then says it is a sort of ribollita.

I have definitely made and liked other things but I don't have the book to hand, so I'll have another look when I do, but I could use it more, so I'll be watching the thread with interest.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:44 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Thanks for that link, Liz! I bought my mum this book for Christmas but haven't been able to justify the purchase for myself quite yet.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:20 pm 

We ended up making tricolor eggplant (without the cheese) and the two dishes I mentioned above. Everything was super, super delicious: fresh, simple, and flavorful. I'm looking forward to cooking more from this book!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:33 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I haven't made anything but I absolutely love flipping through it. Possibly the most beautiful cookbook ever?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:00 pm 

Certainly more books should have bouncy covers.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:23 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Yeah, it's so pleasing.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:47 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Efcliz wrote:
Certainly more books should have bouncy covers.

Yes!
And I'm with Isa... I still haven't made anything from it, but I love looking through it. So damned beautiful!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:26 am 

I made the lettuce salad and the mushroom parcels for dinner earlier this week and they were both very good. I left out the pernod because that stuff's gross and served the mushrooms over brown basmanti rice.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:06 pm 

I made the asparagus with lentils and watercress this evening. I served it with some boiled new potatoes, and instead of the cheese I used a a bit of chopped avocado and sprinkled a bit of home made parm on. It was really good, fresh, zingy and the flavours were unlike what I normally cook.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:40 pm 
Inflexitarian

I bought this book for a couple of (vegetarian) friends for Christmas & they use it regularly - at least once a week - & say it's their favourite cookbook ever. It truly is a beautiful book.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:44 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I really like this cookbook, although Ottolenghi tends to use lots of different kinds of veggies and lots of other isoteric ingredients! The flavours usually really pop!

I have made:
- Mixed Beans with Many Spices and Lovage (very good green bean curry)
- Pomegranate, Snap Pea and Barley Salad with Dill and Allspice (different flavour combo, but not my favourite)
- Roasted Celeriac and Lentils with Hazelnuts and Mint (simple but nice - I love celeriac!)
- Soba Noodles with Wakame and Radish Sprouts (super, super good!)
- Grilled Eggplant and Mango Noodle Salad with a Sweet Chili Dressing (again, very good, although decrease the dressing)
- Cabbage and Kohlrabi Salad (got mixed reviews, but I really liked it with the dried cherries)
- Ultimate Winter Couscous (nice but I felt like it could be more flavourful)
- Socca Pissaladière (my first intro to socca, very good)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:00 pm 

I made the grilled sourdough salad for dinner tonight and it was pretty good. I had to add more vinegar, but I like a lot of vinegar on my salads so that's not super surprising.

I should cook more from this book.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:25 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I met Yotam the other day and he told me to make the Soba Noodles and the Black Pepper Tofu. Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:49 pm 

I've made the black pepper tofu and it is to die for. Damn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:59 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I don't have Plenty, yet, but I have to chime in and say the black pepper tofu is the best thing I've ever eaten. Unequivocally. Actually, I'd give my left pinky finger for the recipe ;)

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:42 am 

Left pinky please

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... epper-tofu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:20 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

IsaChandra wrote:
I haven't made anything but I absolutely love flipping through it. Possibly the most beautiful cookbook ever?
It's a toss-up between this and [url]=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maggies-Harvest-Maggie-Beer/dp/1920989544Maggie's Harvest[/url], which has a woven and embroidered cover. Sigh.

My mother-in-almost-law bought it for me last Christmas and I haven't made anything from it either, but it sure is purty... she has made things from it that I have eaten and they were all pretty damn good. I couldn't tell you what though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:48 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Gulliver wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:
It's a toss-up between this and [url]=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maggies-Harvest-Maggie-Beer/dp/1920989544Maggie's Harvest[/url], which has a woven and embroidered cover. Sigh.

Holy crepe, that book cover is so amazing!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:14 pm 

I made the tamarind, chickpea, and chard stew last night and it was easy and great. I love strong sour flavors, so it was right up my alley. Yum.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just got this earlier this week, after debating it for way too long. I'm so glad I finally got it! I've only made the black pepper tofu so far, but it was awesome. I didn't realise that the recipe said to use 'mild chillies' so I went and bought spicy Thai ones, then ended up only using half the amount when I realised. But next time I would throw them all in there, since it could have been a smidge hotter for our tastes. Super delicious though, Boyfriend has already asked if I can make it again next week!

I'm planning on the mee goreng tonight, and the potato vindaloo during the week sometime. There's also a heap of stuff that I've marked for Christmas dinner.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:57 pm 
Semen Strong

Thank you for posting the links! I have been craving Malaysian and there are some great recipes in there!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:36 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Hmm. It's good to read some positive recipe reviews here. I've had mixed success and some downright disasters (caramelized fennel, looking at you) due to the directions being unclear to me (sizes of veg instead of weights; confusion about cooking techniques or size of cut ingredients, etc.). I've wondered if I'd like the UK version better.

The shakshuka subbed with silken tofu is super good. The ratatouille, too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:21 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I love this book, it is gorgeous to look at and the recipes I've tried have all turned out good or delicious. I like the use of spice and how he does things a little differently and this way adds a little twist to the recipes.

Two-potato vindaloo - Loved this! and like most stews like this it is even better reheated!
Aubergine tricolore - I used basil and not cilantro; simple dish that turned out even better than I had hoped for and is a perfect dish for summer (serve with crusty Italian bread!).
Lentils with grilled aubergine - Despite the longish instructions a pretty simple dish with great flavour. Loved this as well.
Cucumber salad with smashed garlic and ginger - extremely flavourful southeast-Asian style salad. Actually, the flavours were even a little too intense for me, so this is best eaten in smaller amounts
Mixed beans with many spices and lovage - Crazy mix of spices that somehow do work out in harmonizing in the end. I liked this but would prefer fresh ginger instead of the dried because it tastes much better and more complex to me
Fried butterbeans with feta, sorrel and sumac - I had some sorrel from my parents' garden and this dish was great for using it up. Doesn't need the feta either but I bet a feta sup from tofu would fit very well
Chickpea, tomato and bread soup - This is the book's version of ribollita which I served with storebought pesto. Very thick, stick-to-your-ribs type of soup; another one I liked a great lot and perfect for winter!
Castellusio lentil with tomatoes and gorgonzola - Does not need the cheese, because it gets all the flavour it needs from the oven-dried tomatoes. I liked it well enough but I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the chervil used.
Farro and roasted pepper salad - I only used the dressing for a different grain salad and I really liked the combination of flavours in this one!

There are tons of recipes I can't wait to try out! I think the socca will be next.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:34 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I made the Sweet Winter Slaw for a Christmas meal and it was a hit. Caramelized macadamia nuts, yeah! I will say that the quantity was very large -- it served 8 adults plus several second helpings