| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mary-Mary, why you buggin'? BUGS BUGS BUGS
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:15 pm 
Tofu Pup

Sure looks like vole damage on those radishs! Voles are heck to deal with. They have girdled trees, eatten the roots of veggies, roses, hostas (seem to be a particular favorite) and anything else that they can get to! Have done alot of research on these guys. They look like little mice but have a short tail...and no mickey mouse ears...more flat back like a gopher. They start breeding at 3wks of age and have litters of 5-10 every three weeks! So you can become over run quickly! I have cats but they could not keep up! So, I had to resort to something stronger. I found Kaput Rat, Mouse and Vole bait. It comes in a little packet, just a little bigger than a package of Kool-Aid. It is a grain bait made with warfarin which is the blood thinner Coumadin. I went with this since it has a short liver retention time, which means it does NOT stay in the body and make it dangerous to other animals. This is the only thing I have found to keep them from wiping out our garden each year AND I don't have to worry should my cat catch one. I tried every other option but since they are burrowers, they go under everything! I wish you luck with the voles!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:12 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Y'all, why do I always have the weirdest bug problems? There are caterpillars on my potato plants. But I couldn't pick them off because they're liquefied! Seriously, if I touch them in the slightest, they just squish! all over the place.

I assume there is something wrong with these caterpillars. And I must be a vegan because I feel a bit bad for the sickly caterpillars.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:21 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

parasitic wasp predation?

where was this thread a few weeks ago when i found this:
http://toronto-wildlife.com/Insects/Mot ... 40x480.jpg

mine had no hair, but it was seriously maybe 7" long depending on how he was moving. We brought him inside just to show Mr T and then released him back, and I had to put him back on the tree and it was seriously the most weenie-ish non-weenie i have ever touched.

it gets better: we found him BECAUSE OF ITS POOP. There was a huge pile of what looked like deer or rabbit turds on the ground, and no deer or rabbits here, so we started doing research and realized it was a frigging monster caterpillar that has poops like rabbit pellets. Holy macaroni.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:14 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I believe we have Japanese beetles and they are killing or roses....:( What to do?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:14 am 
ol' garly cooch

You have a several options:

Bt-It is a gram positive, soil dwelling bacteria that kills all larvae. Caterpillars cannot digest the bacteria and they die. This applies to in the ground grubs, which is part of the JB life cycle.

DE- Diatamaceous earth. A dust made of crushed diatoms that literally cut any crawling insect. Cheap, but you need to reapply because any time it gets wet, it becomes ineffective.

Beetle Bags- Uses pheromones to attract live beetles.

Beneficial nematodes- water them into your soil and any insect with a soil stage is gone. That means beetles, fleas, ticks, flea beetles, et al.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:35 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

So I spent many hours over the past few weeks ripping up all of the vines (and the huge root convergence they were growing from), and I found a lot of snails. A LOT. If the vines are gone, and as long as I keep them gone, they shouldn't come back because they don't really have any shade, right?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:04 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

missmuffcake wrote:
I believe we have Japanese beetles and they are killing or roses....:( What to do?

We had them horribly last year, literally thousands of them all over my roses, green beans, and raspberries. I ended up pretty much just picking them off by hand. What I did was fill a one gallon plastic bucket with soapy water, then walked up to whatever they were crawling on, held the bucket directly below them, and gently knocked the stem or leaf they were on and they pretty much just jumped or fell into the bucket of water. It was the only organic way to save my raspberries and not harm bees and other helpful creatures. After the first couple of days I only had to do it every other day to keep them from completely defoliating my plants.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:18 am 

Thanks for the info. I was reading up on neem oil as well...I am going to the garden store this week.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:23 am 

missmuffcake wrote:
Thanks for the info. I was reading up on neem oil as well...I am going to the garden store this week.

I tried neem oil and I didn't have any luck with it. I'm guessing they'll be back again this summer so if you have any luck with something I'd love to hear about it. In all honesty though, it only took me about 20 minutes each day to flick them into the bucket and I was doing a 24 ft row of raspberries, 9 ft of pole beans, and 4 waist high rose bushes.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:25 pm 

I do not like bugs! I do not want to have to touch them!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:53 pm 

missmuffcake wrote:
I do not like bugs! I do not want to have to touch them!

I never had to touch them. I just bumped the branch or leaf that they were on while holding the bucket beneath them. They jumped and/or fell into the bucket all by themselves.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:42 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I have aphids on the zucchini on my indoor balcony. How did they get there?!? They have already infested our kalanchoe too :-(

I sprayed them with some diluted dish washing liquid. Hope that will be enough to get rid of them. I don't want them to get into all of our (numerous) house plants.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:38 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

this isn't about the garden persay, but I have a gnat problem outside our house. We have a ton of american boxwood bushes that range from a few feet tall to 15-20 feet tall and just as wide and I think they attract them. There are always gnats all over the place, is there anything I can do to convince them to leave?

I installed a purple martin house and am planning on putting up a couple bat houses but both of those take time to attract tenants (and I'm not positive if they will do anything about the gnats once they do show) and I'm looking for a solution for this spring/summer. I'd really like to be able to sit outside without these things flying in my face/ears etc every 10 seconds.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:04 pm 
ol' garly cooch

Alden, I think you might have fungus gnats. If you do, they do have a soil stage. Google a fungus gnat and see if that's what it is. If so, refer to my earlier post about alternatives tx for pests with a soil stage.

xo Jewy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:17 pm 

jewbacca wrote:
Alden, I think you might have fungus gnats. If you do, they do have a soil stage. Google a fungus gnat and see if that's what it is. If so, refer to my earlier post about alternatives tx for pests with a soil stage.

xo Jewy

Thanks I missed that! That does sound right after looking at some pictures, I guess now I need to figure out what and where I need to treat since they are pretty prevalent over at least an acre around our house.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:43 pm 

Japanese beetles gone now we have earwigs/pincher bugs in & out of the house! Crazy amounts. :/

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:21 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

What about ants? How the fork do you keep them away? They are creating holes everywhere.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:41 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I have baby praying mantises (mantii?) living in my garden, i've spotted three so far. They're so cute! I hope they stick around and eat lots of bugs and snails.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:59 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

IsaChandra wrote:
What about ants? How the fork do you keep them away? They are creating holes everywhere.

They're driving me nuts to the point that I want to have a pet anteater.
Other than that, I got nothing.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:42 am 
ol' garly cooch

I love mantids! Any sight of those in your garden is a great sign.

Isa, ants can have some beneficial qualities. They eat scale.

Do you know for sure the ants are eating your veggies and it isn't anything else? Ants are too busy finding other kinds of food. They like the sweet stuff. So it's not so much the leaves they like but the honeydew-(aka bug pee) that other insects leave behind.

Take care of other bugs, and you'll take care of the ants.

How toad/frog friendly is your garden? Toads love to eat bugs n' slugs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:58 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I noticed tons of ants crawling up my apple trees, and they're gathered underneath a few leaves around very small gray bugs. I don't know what the gray bugs are, but I don't like the bug party happening on my trees. They look about a third the size of an ant. What do I do?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:16 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

AmandaMelanie wrote:
I noticed tons of ants crawling up my apple trees, and they're gathered underneath a few leaves around very small gray bugs. I don't know what the gray bugs are, but I don't like the bug party happening on my trees. They look about a third the size of an ant. What do I do?

Ants farm other insects, including aphids and scale, and eat the "honeydew" they secrete. It might be some sort of gray aphid (they come in all colors!) or other sucking insect. Ants move them around much like humans do sheep or cattle. To discourage the ants, there are products you can buy that provide a sticky barrier around the trunks of trees. It won't get rid of the farmed insects, but it may cut down on their spread.

There are organic insecticides and soap solutions that might cut down on aphids in trees, but they're hard to apply, and most commercial soap sprays (like Safers) aren't vegan. On small plants you can dislodge aphids with a hard spray of water, or even rub them off with your fingers, both of which seem to work better than sprays for me. than Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:59 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:31 pm 

what about stink bugs? I've got them all over our small garden (which consists almost entirely of tomatoes). The cherry tomatoes are usually fine, but the full sized tomatoes rarely make it anywhere near ripe before they've got spots all over them from the stink bugs and holes bored in them. Is there anything I can do to keep them away?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

These little buggers are eating up all my dill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next