| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:30 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

You rock, Desdemona!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:37 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Invictus wrote:
You rock, Desdemona!
Aaawww, thanks - it's definitely an adventure!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:01 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just finished my masters degrees in global history. Am I crazy to want to start another masters program for museum studies? It sounds great, it seems compatible with my first degree, I can afford it...and I wanna!

Hmmm. Maybe I'll apply this summer for the fall. It's the Univerity of Oklahoma on line, FYI.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:06 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I should be a grad student in September. I got accepted, but I have to get my study permit to move to Canada. I'm a bit terrified of the work load.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:26 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I just registered for classes, and I am freaking out about my course load (four forking classes) and the amount of student loans I am racking up! I am having a "what the fork am I doing moment," especially since my coworker mentioned, offhandedly, that all this work I am doing may be essentially useless for the job I want. She often says stupid shiitake that is totally wrong, but this one has me thoroughly shaken.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:11 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

AutumnLeaves, don't worry too much about it. Unless it's in a totally different field from what you want to do I'm convinced that almost any kind of graduate credentials kind of related to your field help. I know all those newspaper articles have poo-pooed the value of grad degrees, but in my own experiences as a job applicant and helping to review applications at my old job, an MA of some sort of a huge advantage.

I just had my first full committee meeting last Friday. Stress-o-rama! I thought it went kind of poorly, but my advisor said it went really well. So I guess I'll take her word for it. Aim is to get paper 1 and methods done before the end of summer. So, so, so much to do....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:17 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Thanks, Thessaly. I think I was having an existential crisis.

In other news, I should be teaching a lot more classes this year. I need two more years of teaching experience before I can apply for the PhD fellowship I want.

God willing, I will start my PhD in the Fall of 2014. I'll be 31 years old. It should take me four years (they will only fund 4 years), and I'll have a PhD when I am 35. I hope I can find a job in my field, because I'll be overqualified for everything (another existential crisis in three...two...one...).

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:23 pm 
Inflexitarian

In a couple of months I'll have finished my first year of a 5 year direct entry PhD program in Astronomy. It's a lot of fun. Also a lot of work, and I very rarely actually know what I'm doing. But, to be fair, that tends to be how most of my various pursuits go.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:36 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Tea wrote:
In a couple of months I'll have finished my first year of a 5 year direct entry PhD program in Astronomy. It's a lot of fun. Also a lot of work, and I very rarely actually know what I'm doing. But, to be fair, that tends to be how most of my various pursuits go.

Is it possible to have a life outside of your PhD program. I hear that it is not.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:49 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I'm starting my Masters of Science in Nursing this fall - which will allow me to be a Family Nurse Practitioner. It will be my 3rd masters, so yeah, I love school - it will be a part time program that will take until Dec 2014...I'm getting really excited to be in "school" mode :) Good luck to everyone!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:00 am 
Inflexitarian

AutumnLeaves wrote:
Tea wrote:

Is it possible to have a life outside of your PhD program. I hear that it is not.

Yes, though it might depend on your program. I'd say I have a life. Most other people I know seem to have lives as well, though there are a few people who are far more driven than me who don't get out much.

I could work all of the time, but in the long run not-going-crazy is better for my studies than working harder, so I make sure I get out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:30 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I need to have an idea for my thesis soon. Class registration is soon. I'm excited.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:05 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

If your definition of having a life is crying a lot while eating chocolate and watching Netflix while you're trying to write papers. Then, yes. Year 1 I was too busy with coursework to even think about a life. Year 2 and 3 were full of angst. And year 4 is feeling like I have an ulcer on account of needing to get everything done by early spring.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:27 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Wow. My experience has been totally different. (But I'm writing a ph.d. diss. on gesture, in a communications dept. which doesn't really do it, so I get a lot of freedom to roam all over the place and collaborate with whomever I want in order to Get Diss Stuff Done.) (Granted, the first 6 months were hell because Advisor #1 had a complete mental breakdown and turned me into her therapist. It took a few months to get the faculty to step in and put a stop to that particular situation -- but since my new advisor came around, ph.d. life's been great!)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:20 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Yeah I should note that my school is notorious for being full of Type A personalities and year 1 had a four quarter series of biostatistics classes that kept you on a really strict schedule. I imagine that the humanities experience might be quite different.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:17 am 

Yes. The US vs. EU experience is also different - but not quite to the same extent as science-science vs. the rest of us (I do cognitive science, not humanities proper, and although it can be pretty intense, I've never had to do work like you just described).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:22 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I am applying for three PhD programs. Two of them (English and Education) are fellowships that require me to teach and do research for my department for 4-6 years while I work on my dissertation and take the required classes. With that, I don't see myself having a life. I will be funded by the university, though.

The third one (Philosophy) is not a fellowship, so I will be funding myself. But, I won't be required to teach or do any research for the school. It will be less stress, and I'll have a life...

I rank them as follows:
First Choice: English Fellowship (Most competitive, but most rewarding. Guaranteed position at the university when I finish my studies)
Second Choice: Education Fellowship (Very competitive. Coincides with my current field of work. Shouldn't be too hard to find a position when I graduate)
Third Choice: Doctorate of Philosophy (Not too competitive. Lots of work. Costs a great deal of money, but they offer a lot of scholarships. Unlike the other two, I can still work at my current job when I am studying. Extremely interested in the subject, but no guarantee that I'll find a job in that field when I graduate)

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:43 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Doing RA work keeps you busy, but it also helps you get out publications. So it's not all bad! Just whatever you, don't take out any loans for your PhD! Maybe some small ones to help meet living expenses but nothing beyond that. I was checking my school financial statements online and if I had paid out of pocket these three years would have cost me $160,000 or so (not including room and board)!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I am so over grad school. I'm so tired of busting my butt and it not feeling worth it. I guess it doesn't help that my one classmate somehow managed to get ahead and has his certification, AND a job in the field. I won't be able to get my certification until next spring. Theoretically speaking, I'll be graduating in less than a year, but all of that just feels so far.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:43 am 

Can someone remind me why there are so many different citation style? It's bullshiitake - and such a waste of time! - to reformat everything all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:41 am 
Inflexitarian

Ever tried Latex + bibtex? You can make it do the formatting for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:04 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm 39 & starting my Masters in Counseling program in August. I'm a late bloomer!

For formatting in APA style I use Perrla, I'm sure there are similar programs for other styles. The first time I went to college in 1991 I didn't even have a computer, just a word processor & we had to use microfische at the library. I love living in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:54 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I'm using Papers for all my paper management and citations. They don't have as many citation style templates as refworks though, but the interface is so much more convenient.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:40 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

OMG OMG. I'm applying for a position in another country. What am I thinking? We're moving house in early August, we've got everything planned. But this is a real chance! I could actually end up getting paid for what I love doing most! And if they say yes, well, I guess they might even help me figure out everything else.
Editing my CV, copying everything together in a big pdf tomorrow. Ohh, have I gone totally bonkers now?!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:24 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Phoenix wrote:
OMG OMG. I'm applying for a position in another country. What am I thinking? We're moving house in early August, we've got everything planned. But this is a real chance! I could actually end up getting paid for what I love doing most! And if they say yes, well, I guess they might even help me figure out everything else.
Editing my CV, copying everything together in a big pdf tomorrow. Ohh, have I gone totally bonkers now?!
This is totally exciting! I will be keeping a good thought for you!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 62  Next