| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Did your body change post partum?
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:55 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

So, I find it really interesting how much my body has changed since having Grey and now breastfeeding for ten months. I used to be the definition of a pear shape, not a Bartlett, but a Bosc, super, super pear shaped and now my hips and butt are much less curvy and I have more of a stomach and my boobs are huge. It is weird because I really can't wear a lot of my old clothes and I am having to relearn how to dress for my body.

Post subject: Re: Did your body change post partum?
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:47 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I am still trying to make peace with my postpartum body 15 months later. Wearing clothes is so different now. I hold weight more in my mid section, which makes jeans fit terrible. And the boobs! Oh, my poor, poor boobs.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:12 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My body didn't change much, appearance-wise, though my stick-straight hair is now VERY wavy. And when all was said and done, my breasts were quite a bit smaller. Like, I wore a bra size I could find in a non-specialty store for the first time in EVER.

But most of my postpartum body changes were things like new food sensitivities and chronic pain in places that have never hurt before.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:16 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

i think i'm one of the only people i know whose body literally got smaller after giving birth. i swear my hips actually tightened up, because clothing fits way way differently. i definitely lost a lot of weight from breastfeeding too. i slowly started to gain back after weaning tzipi but even though i'm back to my higher pre baby weight, i'm still in a smaller size. so weird.

it's not all good though... i like being a bit slimmer, but my boobs are very seriously a wreck. i mean, they weren't that impressive before, but they are flat and saggy now, and the nipples are all wonky. sigh. i'm three months pregnant, so they're starting to fill in a bit again. i'm sure it's temporary though. i wonder what gonna happen this time around.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:26 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I think that my body has changed with every child. With my first, had more hips/curves after he was born even though I went back to my normal pre-pregnancy weight. With my second, I got super thin (below a healthy weight for my height) and it took forever to get back on and my waist seemed smaller.

With the most recent one (she was born last December), I have even more hips/curves and everyone keeps commenting on how super flat my stomach looks. It's weird because weight-wise I'm a few pounds less than pre-pregnancy, but I can't fit into some of my old clothes or they just don't look the same. And I swear that my feet are bigger now.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My boobs were definitely smaller postpartum/post-weaning, which was kind of annoying since they're so small to start with. It makes bra-shopping a little difficult. Other than that, pretty much the same. Now I'm pregnant again, so we'll see if anything else changes this time around.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mine changed and I'm still not used to it five and a half years later. For one, my feet grew about a full size. I still don't know what size shoe I wear because it varies so much from brand to brand (that didn't happen before!). And I actually have to do "foot maintenance" now, such as hardcore exfoliation.

Also, all of my old shirts are short. It makes sense now that I'm chubbier, but there was a point that I was within 5 lbs of my pre-pregnancy weight and they were still too short. I know there are other things I just can't think of anything right now.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Change? Yes. Still trying to understand it. Baby is five months old and I feel like my tummy is still huge and poochy like I'm pregnant. I haven't lost any weight (except 20 pounds baby/fluid right at birth) so I guess I'm 15-20 pounds over prepregnancy weight? Maybe more. I haven't weighed recently. All I know is I don't fit in my old clothes and nursing is NOT melting anything off. I was counting calories but i have had borderline supply issues and I felt like restricting was causing an issue.

Best thing about this? I don't really care that much. Yes, I want to get back to "normal" but I'm pretty fit despite my weight gain and the stress of dieting is not worth it to me right now. I exercise and eat healthy foods. That is my priority right now although I am amazed by this new tummy! I never had one before, even though I have always been a big girl. Amazed. AND THE BOOBS. No comment on that!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:57 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I'm with littlebear; 13 months after giving birth, my hips are smaller than they've ever been. Very unexpected. I'm 15 pounds lighter than I was when I got pregnant, and basically in the best shape of my life (a baby who naps best in the jogging stroller has helped that along), but yeah, the boobs are just.....just......doing their job! right? :/

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:36 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Mine changed after both babies.

Pre Emperor, I always had a tiny waist and huge thighs. My butt was nothing spectacular one way or another. I never carried any weight on my stomach no matter how heavy I was.

Post Emperor, at the same weight as before I was pregnant with him, I was shaped totally differently. Smaller fairly normal thighs, much less discernible waist, and the most curious combo of belly flab and ab definition (from constant babywearing).

Post Magician, i'm much the same except bizarrely, my asparagus is smaller. I biked a lot while pregnant but have no other explanation for it.

My breasts are pretty much unchanged. They were pretty floppy pre children, and that is the sad truth. They never really got to be young and pretty.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:45 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

This thread scares me. I have no children yet, and I appreciate your honesty.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:49 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

coldandsleepy wrote:
My butt was nothing spectacular one way or another.
(...)
(boobs) They never really got to be young and pretty.

Pshaw.

Pshaw on all counts.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My body shape is pretty similar 3 months after. My weight is the same, but I can tell my tummy isn't as fit, my bum seems a bit squishy and some of my dress pants are a bit snug. I'm hoping once I get back into a running routine, things will fall back into place.

My boobs were tiny before (we're talking barely 32A) and now my nursing bras are 36C.. this is crazy new territory for me. I know it won't last, but I can't wear many of my blouses because the buttons look ridiculously tight.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:08 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I was pretty thin before I got pregnant. As of the winter I was 10 lbs above my pre pregnancy weight but my clothes still don't fit me. And for all I know I can weight more now. My hips definitely widened and my extra weight is mostly in my stomach (along with all the flab) so I look pregnant. I have been putting off doing a lot of clothing shopping because I have no idea what size I should be. At least I was able to hide it all winter. Bleh. My boobs are unchanged except for the fact that they are bigger so that's at least a plus.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:27 pm 
Semen Strong

I am kind of amazed that I lost muscle in my hips and thighs. Its part of the reason why I am now in therapy for my knees. A friend of mine who is a physical therapist said it took her a lot of work to get her hip strength back.

I like my PP body generally, though I could do without the pannus. I had read in the Girlfriend's Guide, that weight starts coming off naturally after 7 months, and that seems to be happening a bit. I am down to just 7lbs above my pre-preg weight, which was still borderline obese, but at least its going in the right direction again. And I only care about losing weight for my joints and general health.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:48 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

My boobs are now empty flaps of skin. Bra shopping makes me cry, so I tend to just not wear a bra anymore. Problem solved!
Because motherhood makes me more active than I was before I had him, I am probably 4 sizes smaller. So I had to buy all new clothes, which stinks because it's expensive, and I don't like clothes shoppping.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:08 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My butt is shrinking more and more each day, I want to cry. It's weird that I have such an attachment to my old body. I did live my small boobs and waist but I didn't realize that I also loved my butt so much. I am sure once my body stops changing I will learn to love it again.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:20 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

rohai wrote:
This thread scares me. I have no children yet, and I appreciate your honesty.

I think the body changing thing is interesting and not necessarily bad. Before I had grey I could have complained about things I didn't like about my body and now I have different things and things I like. Mostly, I find it fascinating that my body is changing so much. The boy is literally sucking the fat out of me! Also, having grey is amazing and even if my body is gross or something after all this, it will be worth it, I might not love it, but it will be worth it.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:14 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Mine has actually changed for the better, but I'm guessing it's due to not having hormonal birth control in my body anymore (I was on Norplant or Depo for 14 years until 6 months before pregnancy). I was a lanky, scrawny kid and teenager until my senior year in high school when I started to gain weight and I couldn't figure out why (fairly active, vegetarian, no changes in lifestyle) and have been overweight since then. BabyEnchilada just turned 7 months and I'm 15 lbs. under my PP weight... the Wii Fit even says that my BMI is normal! It's totally weird because I feel like I'm just sitting around with the baby all day and cooking and eating a lot, but I guess babywearing, long walks, and eating more nutritious foods (and having time to eat breakfast for the first time ever!) might be helping?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:41 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

It didn't change that drastically, mainly softer in the middle with wider hips. I'm nervous for my boobs when I'm done breastfeeding, I feel like they'll just deflate. For the time being they're bigger, which accentuates the fact that the left one is noticeably larger than the right.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:52 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yes, for the much, much worse. We'll talk again in sixty pounds.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:01 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I suppose I should explain the boobs thing- I went from a b, to a c while pregnant to pretty well a Z in a couple hours when my milk came in. I only breastfed for 10 days, then stopped immediately, so I don't think I did my skin any favors.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:42 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Ariann wrote:
Yes, for the much, much worse. We'll talk again in sixty pounds.

HA! that's pretty much how it went for me.

I think there was so much going on at the same time- post partum, back to HBC, then off HBC, then the bad stuff that stress does to the body, then getting a bit older, then finally getting into shape.... i am FINALLY, 12 years later, at the same weight i was pre-p. my body is definitely different, but what it's due to? who knows.

PS I BF for a year and a half or so and i did not lose one single ounce that whole time. i was constantly starving and ate like a champ without thinking this might counteract the "your baby weight will melt away" stuff I kept hearing.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:21 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Pretty much the same everywhere except for my stomach. Dispite being overweight my stomach has always been pretty flat but now it is all flabby and looks like I am still pregnant. I am still over my prepregnancy weight. I thought I'd lose weight breastfeeding but I am not at all. I also thought I'd lose weight from not drinking beer anymore, nope. My boobs are roughly the same size only one is significantly larger than the other. People who don't normally check out boobs notice.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:37 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm currently well below my pre-pregnancy weight (my daughter is 5). My belly button is a wreck (stretched out with little stretch marks all around it), my hips are a bit wider, my lower abdomen will always be a little loose no matter what, and my boobs are smaller and look deflated. That being said, I'm much happier with my body in most ways which is a nice change from the way I felt about my body before having my daughter.