| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Need a deodorant/antiperspirant recommendation
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

creep wrote:
All the natural deodorant brands make me smell worse than not wearing any deodorant at all, I swear.

Yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Quote:
I've been using a crystal for a couple years now, and it works ... And they last a really long time. I only replaced my first one because I dropped it on a tile floor and it shattered.

Seriously, they're hella economical. My last one lasted for at least a year with daily use.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:16 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

I use the crystal and then layer Avalon Organics spray on top of it. I need to use both, and the combo does work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:10 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

karichelle wrote:
My dad makes his own with cornstarch and baking soda (I think) and says it works great. Might have to give that a try too.

This is what I do, but I'm currently out. Coconut oil+baking soda+cornstarch. Probably my favorite deodorant ever, and so moisturizing for my armpits (they sometimes get dry from shaving). It works great for normal daily use, but after a run I definitely smell a bit. I don't mind though. I'm currently using Mitchum (was out of the homemade stuff and it was the only vegan one I could find) and it totally freaks me out not smelling like sweat after running hard. So looking forward to using my homemade stuff again.

I used crystal deodorant for about two years, and then it just stopped working for me. I was so sad! It was awesome and so freaking cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:17 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

hoveringdog™ wrote:
creep wrote:
All the natural deodorant brands make me smell worse than not wearing any deodorant at all, I swear.

Yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Quote:
I've been using a crystal for a couple years now, and it works ... And they last a really long time. I only replaced my first one because I dropped it on a tile floor and it shattered.

Seriously, they're hella economical. My last one lasted for at least a year with daily use.

crystal 4 life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:45 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I used Tom's for a while but it stopped working for me. Now I use Kiss My Face Active Life stick. I try to stock up when I'm in North America because the only vegan deo I've found here that works (Dr. Haushka) is forking expensive.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:01 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

When I was picking up other stuff at Sephora, I noticed they had a smaller size of the Lavanila deodorant, so I decided to try it ($10 is still expensive, but better than spending $20 on something and not liking it). So far though, it's completely amazing. It makes my pits feel so good. I will report back once I've had an intense workout whilst wearing it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:31 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

The crystal rock shockingly works for me very well, but I find it takes a period of (smelly) adjustment if I'm switching from something like Tom's.

I tried Weleda's sage deodorant for a while, and while it worked great as an antiperspirant, I don't like using scented products on my pits. It was expensive but it lasted forever!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

oh yeah I also like Weleda's rose deodorant. It smells nice and works amazingly well, but I still think homemade works better.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:51 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm a big fan of the crystal stone. I used to only use it during the winter, but now it's enough during hot months as well. It feels healthy to still be able to sweat some (I guess I don't sweat that much) and it's miraculously odorless.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:18 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I've used this stuff before, and it's worked really well: http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Essence-D ... 33&sr=8-17
I would usually have to reapply halfway through the day, but it kept me very nice smelling (and I sweat a lot). I know it's unnatural, but I just wish all these natural products could actually keep you dry.
I stopped using it once long-sleeve weather came back around. It took forever for this stuff to dry, and I'm used to putting deodorant on, throwing clothes on, and running out the door. If I didn't wait for it to dry, I'd get all sticky and my clothes would get wet. Once summer rolls around again though, and I'll be rocking the short sleeves and sleeveless, I'll go back to it. Smells great too!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:15 pm 
WELFARIST!

Herban Cowboy is the only thing that has ever worked for me and I really like their scents. You can find it at Whole Foods and some natural/health food stores. It's pretty expensive but I think it's worth it.

Now that I know some accidentally vegan brands, though, I'm going to try those out now! I had no idea.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:16 pm 
WELFARIST!

creep wrote:

Same here! I thought it was just me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:57 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I was all excited to try this antiperspirant from Tom's, thinking they had come up with some new way of making one without aluminum, but this one has aluminum too. Bummer. I still tried it (I use Ban anyway, so what the hell), and if you just want another grocery store antiperspirant option, this has worked really well for me this past week.

I think next I'll try the homemade version (or order a similar one online, if I'm feeling lazy).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:09 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I started using Lafes unscented roll-on deodorant, and it's working well so far. The real test will be during the summer. Nothing I have tried before has been able to stand up to 100+ degree temps, and I end up switching to Mitchum anti-perspirant.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:20 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I miss using crystal deodorant. It used to work great for me, but now I sweat big ugly pools under my arms if I don't use something super strength. It's so weird, because I can be freezing, but my arm pits will still sweat away. Now I use Mitchum Clinical Performance Stick and worry that I am killing myself with it. But it does work.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:16 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I make my own too, with coconut oil, arrowroot, baking soda, and whatever essential oil I have on hand (usually lavender or vanilla). I don't mind rubbing it on with my fingers because it smells so nice and works better than anything else I have used in the past. It took about a week for my body to adapt to it, but now it's not a problem. The recipe I use is here: http://www.edibleperspective.com/home/2 ... -life.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:20 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

my friend got me a container of lush deodorant powder that has rosemary and other herbs, plus talc, tea trea oil, and i think baking soda in it. i really like it for my less sweaty days. when its super hot in the summer, especially if its super hot and i'm outside building something or biking or whatever, it doesn't work that well, but if i'm not especially active i like it. sometimes i use nothing and enjoy my natural smell. sometimes i use a standard deodorant when i'm doing more intense stuff and in a particular situation where i dont feel comfortable smelling like a human.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:54 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I've been using the crystal with a layer of Hugo Naturals Mexican Lime deo over top and it's working great. Even when I work out at the gym, I'm a big sweater but I don't stink using this combo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:22 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

The big thing that causes the smell is bacteria. If you use ACV diluted with water and use it on your pits before you put your deoderant on, it really helps. I'm VERY sweaty, and I've been doing this and noticed that I'm much drier and even when I do sweat, I have like no smell -- nada, zip, zilch. It helps your body keep the right Ph and keeps bacteria from growing. If you Google it, you'll see that it's actually listed as a sweat cure. If you try a more natural brand (Toms, Lush, etc.) and they don't work well, consider trying this with your natural deo for more of a bang.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So I recently switched from Mitchum to Kiss My Face's Liquid Rock Peaceful Patchouli and its the first aluminum free deodorant that works for me. Its awesome!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Does anyone have suggestions for a vegan deodorant that doesn't leave white marks on black clothes? I've tried the clear Mitchum gel and the roll on which are both supposed to not leave marks but they still do. I have to wear all black for school and maybe it's just me but I'm incapable of putting on a shirt without getting deodorant on it. I used to use the crystal and I liked it, it just took forever to dry when I put it on, but if it doesn't leave marks I'll switch back.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:15 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Amy wrote:
I was all excited to try this antiperspirant from Tom's, thinking they had come up with some new way of making one without aluminum, but this one has aluminum too. Bummer. I still tried it (I use Ban anyway, so what the hell), and if you just want another grocery store antiperspirant option, this has worked really well for me this past week.

I think next I'll try the homemade version (or order a similar one online, if I'm feeling lazy).

The jury is still out on whether aluminum and antiperspirants are actually harmful. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/fact ... isk/AP-Deo

Also, Toms of Main is owned by Colgate which does test on animals. I know some folks are fine with still buying their products, but the more you know!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:28 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Nebraskalaska wrote:
The jury is still out on whether aluminum and antiperspirants are actually harmful. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/fact ... isk/AP-Deo

Also, Toms of Main is owned by Colgate which does test on animals. I know some folks are fine with still buying their products, but the more you know!

Oh I know (both of those things). Like I said I currently use Ban, which also has aluminum, but I'm always looking for one that works for me and isn't potentially carcinogenic. The only one (deodorant, not anti-perspirant) I've liked so far is LaVanila, and that shiitake is $18 and runs out in a month!

And I don't regularly buy anything from Tom's, I just got really excited about the idea of a widely available and affordable natural anti-perspirant. Not that I never buy from companies with evil parent companies, but I haven't felt like I needed Tom's for anything. I know some people do though, so I figured I'd at least mention that it worked (for me).

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:31 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Yeah, I'm excited that a natural anti-perspirant can exist. Now other companies need to start making it!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:53 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jessilikewhoa wrote:
Does anyone have suggestions for a vegan deodorant that doesn't leave white marks on black clothes? I've tried the clear Mitchum gel and the roll on which are both supposed to not leave marks but they still do. I have to wear all black for school and maybe it's just me but I'm incapable of putting on a shirt without getting deodorant on it. I used to use the crystal and I liked it, it just took forever to dry when I put it on, but if it doesn't leave marks I'll switch back.

So far so good with the liquid rock for me, but I also don't shave my pits, not sure if that makes a difference.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next