| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 645 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:36 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

@jdfunks: ok, I'll get some white miso. Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry about your cashew allergy :(

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:13 pm 
WELFARIST!

I made the falafel sliders as a Greek plate and it was really yummy and really rich. Next time, I'd cut two of the tablespoons of oil in the humuus and replace them with water and make all the salt measures scant ones as it was very slightly too salty overall. But great flavors and satisfying. I think it would be really good with buns, too, I just wanted all the flavors as a meal for myself and not an appetizer so I made it with white rice and fresh diced tomatoes garnish. I would also pulse the hummus and not blend them so smooth if making them as a plate again to retain a bit more texture but I think the huumus needs to be smooth to spread on the sliders.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I also found the cashew alfredo a bit sweetish, but I still liked it.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:58 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

@bekki, good to know. So maybe it's just a matter of taste preference?

By the way, I made the Panang Curry a few night ago (I got the recipe off of Chloe's blog; I'm not sure if it's in her book) and it was GREAT.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:58 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I made the cashew alfredo tonight and really liked it, but I've made basically the same sauce a dozen times before (minus the onion) so I knew what I was getting.

I think next I'll try the peanut noodles. Thanks to those who made it for the heads up about it needing more vegetables!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:07 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

emanningbx wrote:
@bekki, good to know. So maybe it's just a matter of taste preference?

By the way, I made the Panang Curry a few night ago (I got the recipe off of Chloe's blog; I'm not sure if it's in her book) and it was GREAT.

I also found the alfredo kind of sweetish and off-tasting to me. I wasn't that into it, but then again I was never really too into alfredo as an omnivore. I was hoping to fall in love with this one but either I messed up somewhere or I'm just not an alfredo person after all.

I also made the Panang Curry from Chloe's blog and I loved it! Very rich and flavorful. The peanut butter was a nice addition.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the Mooshu recipe the other night, and it was so good! Super easy, and if I had realized the dough needed to sit for 20 minutes, I probably could have whipped it all out a bit faster. I haven't had Mooshu since I've been vegan, so nearly six years I guess. I forgot how delicious it was! Definitely recommend it, and for sure make the pancakes homemade! They are really easy, and they taste so much better than pre-packaged tortillas. [My omni partner loved it, and his younger brother (omni as well), who HATES mushrooms, ate some without picking the mushrooms out. Unheard of! He said it was "pretty good", so coming from him, that's pretty much the highest accolade attainable.]

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:34 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh, I made the Moo Shu last night! I went with tortillas, just-made from a taqueria, vs. making since I was prepping stuff and assembling in my girlfriend's kitchen, which is pretty bare. So simple and good! I thought the hoisin mixture was on the thin side, so I'd add more hoisin next time. We had them with lots of srichacha, too.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jdfunks wrote:
Oh, I made the Moo Shu last night! I went with tortillas, just-made from a taqueria, vs. making since I was prepping stuff and assembling in my girlfriend's kitchen, which is pretty bare. So simple and good! I thought the hoisin mixture was on the thin side, so I'd add more hoisin next time. We had them with lots of srichacha, too.

Yeah, we made our hoisin dipping sauce a little thicker. I didn't even think of sriracha. Next time!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:11 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

bodhi wrote:
jdfunks wrote:

Yeah, we made our hoisin dipping sauce a little thicker. I didn't even think of sriracha. Next time!

We made ours with more hoisin and lots of sriracha, too. They make an excellent pairing. I really like her version of a meatloaf and caesar salad, too. All of her recipes have been gems so far, we have liked everything we've tried.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:46 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Glad to hear the moo shu was good. I made the chow mein and wasn't very impressed.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:06 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made the poppers, but I baked them instead of frying. With the maple butter, they are amazingly good.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Just made the Best Mac'n'Cheese or whatever it's called - an oven-baked one. I'm not normally fond of baked macaronis, and I didn't have breadcrumbs to put on top (which I don't like anyway). But it was really good! I would add peas next time, or maybe kale. I put in a little bit of broccoli that I needed to use up, and it was delicious. Very easy too, and my omnivore partner liked it. He actually mentioned that he thought it was good without me asking!

ETA: Bonus points for it not requiring any expensive ingredients - ie cashews, etc. Those ones are delicious too, but it's nice to have a cheaper version as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

celyn wrote:
I made the drive-through burgers and they are yum. Mine were mushy in the middle after sauteeing to get a crispy exterior, so I baked them too. The special sauce that goes with them is uh-mazing. And takes two seconds.

How have I not made this recipe yet? Sounds awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kitteh wrote:
celyn wrote:
I made the drive-through burgers and they are yum. Mine were mushy in the middle after sauteeing to get a crispy exterior, so I baked them too. The special sauce that goes with them is uh-mazing. And takes two seconds.

I didn't love it. The burgers were okay, but I could have done without the special sauce. But maybe that's because I make a similar version with Vegenaise as the base, and tofu just can't compete with the V.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the Mongolian BBQ Seitan a while back, but with tofu, since that's what I had. It's really easy and delicious. My omni partner loved it, though he's asked for less ginger in it next time, because he's a hater. Otherwise though, it's a winner for us.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

bekki wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
celyn wrote:

I didn't love it. The burgers were okay, but I could have done without the special sauce. But maybe that's because I make a similar version with Vegenaise as the base, and tofu just can't compete with the V.

Well it sounds like I'll be doing some substituting too as I don't eat tofu, so I'll try it with the vegan rice mayo I have! Thanks for the tip ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:12 am 
Ninja Master

I just downloaded this book onto my kindle but haven't made anything yet.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:54 am 
WELFARIST!

I've made the Cashew/shittake soup the most. I really like the avocado on toast but you know, that's a pretty simple thing. Still, it's really good and nothing I would think up myself. I feel like I picked some quick faves from this book and haven't really delved into it since, but there's definitely some really great stuff in it. Oh, and the Chipotle Chop is one of my favorite recipes. I think I'll make it for next week, now that I mention it! Whenever I'm in a grocery store these days and can't think what to make, I always think of the Chipotle Chopped salad from this book because it's tasty and easy and I remember all the ingredients.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:23 am 
Saggy Butt

I made the garlic knots the other night. Very simple and quite tasty. My husband loved them....he's still talking about them. The recipe makes a ton so I only used half of the dough and put the other half in the freezer for another day. Tonight is the Mongolian Seitan but with tofu instead.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

seitanicverses wrote:
I feel like I picked some quick faves from this book and haven't really delved into it since

Same here! There are still a bunch of things I want to try though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:15 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I have this now from the library and I really want to make the garlic knots.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:01 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I have her Indian Trio on the menu for next week...the naan recipe looks interesting. We have a bunch of cookbooks that we have purchased within the past few months trying to branch out of our normal staples; Sexy Vegan, Happy Herbivore, Forks over Knives and Peas and Thank You (which are all really good and we have enjoyed thus far), but we keep bringing it back to Chloe's Kitchen. They seem to be more consistent for us with taste. The Warm-Spinach Artichoke Dip was a big hit with our family, as was the Southern Skillet Black-Eyed Peas- but I made Happy Herbivore's biscuits to go with it (much healthier) and I make a double batch of her pancakes every week and freeze them so my son can have pancakes every morning without me actually having to make them everyday. We tried the Best Ever Baked Macaroni and Cheese and weren't huge fans, my son was the only one would seemed as though he enjoyed it- only one so far that I will for sure never make again. Oh, and the Stuffed Shells with Arrabbiata Sauce gets requested at least once a week. The tofu ricotta is one of the best I've ever tried.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:29 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

bree wrote:
The tofu ricotta is one of the best I've ever tried.

I agree. I think it's because of the miso!

I've made the Indian Trio (sans naan) and loved it. My favourite was the Biryani, which I made with carrots, peas and green beans. I also really liked the Straw and Hay Pasta and the Chinese Takeout Chow Mein. I think the Mac & Cheese was good as well, but I put some peas in it, as someone on this thread suggested.

seitanicverses wrote:
I really like the avocado on toast but you know, that's a pretty simple thing. Still, it's really good and nothing I would think up myself.

Same here. I also really like the Best Garlic Bread, although I don't follow her directions and just put the ingredients directly onto the toast or bread.

I've also been cooking a lot from this cookbook since I got it. The pictures just make everything so appealing - which is why I'm really excited that Isa's next cookbook is going to have lots of them!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Making the Chipotle Chop Salad tonight, and maybe later this week I'll make the Peanutty Perfection Noodles.

I've been having really good luck with this book so far! My partner is omni, and he'll eat anything I cook, but I am happy to have baked tofu, a load of sautéed kale, and brown rice, and he much prefers the style of cooking in Chloe's book. So it's basically a perfect compromise for us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 645 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 26  Next