| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:22 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Radishes and lettuces started sprouting up today! I love the first sight of teeny green sprouts, so exciting. But a lot of the seeds I planted last week haven't made a peep and I'm getting nervous. No squashes. Sad face. I'm worried because the soil I got was super mulchy so maybe, I dunno, some stuff isn't going to work in it?

I also caught the starlings stripping the marigolds, and that's so weird because they didn't do it last year. Oh and the latest victim was a cucumber plant.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:30 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

IsaChandra wrote:
Radishes and lettuces started sprouting up today! I love the first sight of teeny green sprouts, so exciting. But a lot of the seeds I planted last week haven't made a peep and I'm getting nervous. No squashes. Sad face. I'm worried because the soil I got was super mulchy so maybe, I dunno, some stuff isn't going to work in it?

I also caught the starlings stripping the marigolds, and that's so weird because they didn't do it last year. Oh and the latest victim was a cucumber plant.

A lot of seeds I plant seem to take longer than the package says.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:13 am 
protein lump

yeah, sometimes things just take a while. a week isn't really that long. i have some watermelons that i started several weeks ago and they're just starting to come up.
you can gently move the mulch aside if you know where the seeds are to see if they've sprouted yet.

it's finally warm enough to plant my tomatoes and cucumbers outside, but it won't stop raining! i'm worried the things i already have outside (peas, greens, beans) are going to drown.
it's supposed to be nice tomorrow, so hopefully i can start getting stuff outside this weekend. my tomatoes are all leggy and i'm anxious to get them into the sun full time.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:52 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

A squirrel is pulling up mine and my neighbors flowers. crasshole animals!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:42 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My basil has holes in it. And my dog keeps eating the cucumber plants. But we have lots of little tomatoes already and a jalepeno!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:52 am 

One of my basils has holes too, but the purple ones are fine. My dogs haven't eaten any plants (although Chester ate his share of tomatoes last year, i'd look out the window and see the plant shaking and he'd emerge, munching), but Harley is like god damned Godzilla in Tokyo.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh, Harley. So far, Three's only eating them when we're out there working in the garden. Probably just pissed that we aren't playing with him.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:49 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I harvested my first peppers of the year this week!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:41 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Peppers already, holy whoa.

We just planted our community garden plot today: broccoli, cauliflower, jalapeños, cabbage, eggplant, heirloom, roma, and cherry tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchinis, pickling cucumbers, slicing cucumbers, pole beans, basil, tatsoi, mizuna, microgreens, and kale. Whew. Oh! And we planted some moon and stars watermelons. They will look like this, god willing:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:11 am 
Naked Under Apron

My FIL was here a week ago and built me four really big 'n' sturdy raised beds for the back yard. I'm really excited for them, since the weeds were taking over the beds and it was driving me nuts. I had 4 cubic yards of really nice planting dirt delivered today, and tomorrow tahinitoo and panda are coming over in the morning to help me fill them!! PPK GARDEN PARTY!

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:23 am 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
A squirrel is pulling up mine and my neighbors flowers. crasshole animals!

This is still happening! Mostly the cheap annuals I bought to put in our stone planters, but I still paid $11 for the flat and don't want empty planters. Also a few of my marigolds in the garden, and the forker pulled out one of my ground cover plants. I don't understand because they pull them out and then leave them there, it's not like they're eating them or stealing things to build a nest with.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:16 pm 

abbierae wrote:
Peppers already, holy whoa.

We just planted our community garden plot today: broccoli, cauliflower, jalapeños, cabbage, eggplant, heirloom, roma, and cherry tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchinis, pickling cucumbers, slicing cucumbers, pole beans, basil, tatsoi, mizuna, microgreens, and kale. Whew. Oh! And we planted some moon and stars watermelons. They will look like this, god willing:

Those are so cute! Good luck. Everyone says watermelon is finicky.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:19 pm 

Mars wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:

A lot of seeds I plant seem to take longer than the package says.

Following up!

So my peppers haven't done anything, some I planted 2 weeks ago. The were two different types of seeds so I'm not sure what's up with that.

My delicata squash has sprouted, though! But the turban hasn't. I dug up a few seeds and they look just like the day I planted them. Bummer. What is up with dud seeds?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:31 pm 

That is why I don't futz with seeds, something always goes wrong for me. Like I decided, "Well I can use seeds for my herbs and keep them inside at night for two weeks!" And then the temperatures plummeted and it was a month later and they were half dead because next to the back door really isn't better than outside. Cursed, I am.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:18 am 
protein lump

i put out my cucumbers and tomatoes last night. i hope the tomatoes live. they got super leggy and they're outside looking all spindly and sad.
i think the peppers and eggplant can go out in a week or so. and i have sprouts for watermelon, patty pan squash, zucchini, pumpkins, tomatillos, and artichokes that are going to take a few weeks before they can go outside safely.
still to plant: winter squashes, corn, herbs

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:23 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We harvested a few cucumbers Friday! So yum. I've been cooking with my own basil and scallions and they seem never ending. So exciting! I think I just got addicted to gardening.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:45 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i cant believe people are harvesting stuff already!!!

we finished planting everything this weekend.

we got reg tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, reg peppers, 2 types of hot peppers, cukes, zukes, and acorn squash.

i ripped my weird looking spinach out. i dont think it was going to make it.

our potatoes are doing nicely so far, no flowers just but the sprouts look good.
we also have monster lettuce. it exploded.
actually my husband did harvest some of that but that's all we've gotten so far.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:03 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

LisaPunk wrote:
i cant believe people are harvesting stuff already!!!

It's already 90+ degrees here. We've gotta get our planting in early before it's too hot for stuff to fruit.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

Let there be rain! Gotta love this town for gardening.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

So excited that my seedlings have started spouting. It'll be time transplant them soon! All 66 of them.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:03 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Yeah Kelly, scallions are amazing. If you harvest selectively just the biggest ones, I swear you'll still be harvesting them over a year (years maybe) later. (Mine are still going, they seem to make little babies from the bottom of the stems).

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:18 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Some of my front yard plants are coming up! We just planted the backyard, so those will be a couple weeks still. I'm scared by how many zucchini plants are coming up already. I had 6 plants last year and had zucchini coming out my ears. I planted twice as many this year. Hopefully it'll grow enough that I can take some to the food bank this year.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:45 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We were digging up the soil in the back last night getting ready to plant, and my husband found something interesting in the dirt.
Apparently my garden grows diamond rings? There was a little 10k gold promise ring in the dirt. I thought the fork I found last year was cool....

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:01 am 
Baking In The Flavor

A friend just gave me some advice which I thought I'd pass on in case any of you are having trouble with really dry weather. If you cut the bottom off a plastic bottle and then bury it in the ground upside down (lid off!) so its almost like a funnel, when you water the water will be able to get further down into the soil and encourage the roots to grow downwards rather than outwards.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:10 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hi gardeners!

I'm living in one room apartment right now so I'm growing chili plants in my kitchen window (7 plants!) and baby lettuce on the balcony. It's going well. But! The exiting thing is that I might start renting an allotment. I will look into it tomorrow, but I think there will be one available. It will be loads of work to be done really quickly to get it in shape, but I'll manage. It might seem a bit late but remember, I live in Sweden so the season has just started here. I'm so excited!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 33  Next