| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Liquid foundation
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:52 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

So has anyone else tried Everyday Minerals? I'm getting some samples to see what shade is right for me. Do most minerals give you a break out, Amy? I'm not sure what activates my breakouts. Sometimes it seems like any bronzer or blush will. Bah.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:56 pm 
Naked Under Apron

ndpittman wrote:
Do most minerals give you a break out, Amy?

Ugh, yeah. Though lately everything seems to! My skin is a brat. There are so many variables (is it my brushes? coincidental high sugar intakes?), but I know it's worse when I'm using mineral makeup. I've heard various things about the tiny particles involved, so maybe they're clogging my pores (totally unscientific speculation).

It's a shame, because I think Bare Minerals makes my skin look great. You know, temporarily.

Still looking for a good foundation! I actually really liked the Josie Maran matchmaker serum stuff, but amazingly, even the fair shade was a smidge too dark. Maybe I can swing it now that summer's coming. And I know people have recommended FACE atelier, but I really hate having to order makeup online.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:58 pm 

Were you able to buy Bare Minerals in a real store?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:01 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Bare Minerals- yes (Ulta). Everyday Minerals- no, but a friend gave me a bunch of samples that were too light for her, and I went through them all so they lasted a while.

There is a Revlon liquid foundation (PhotoReady) that is apparently accidentally vegan. I found it a bit drying but again, it might be better in the summer. Otherwise it was not bad, and they have really fair shades. (Also, just as a disclaimer- I heard about the veganness secondhand).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:21 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I have some Bare Minerals stuff, I like it okay. It's neither here nor there for me, I haven't used a lot of mineral makeup (my sister-in-law sells BM in her salon so when I get my hair done I use the samples) so I don't have anything to really compare it to. I also have a mineral foundation from Pumpkin and Poppy - she's a vegan indie makeup artist who has cystic acne, so her stuff is formulated for that type of skin.

Trying to figure out what's bothering your acne is a rough process. In the end, I broke down and bought the acne.org treatment gel because I was using so many products that weren't working. What really sent me over the edge is when I went from just getting cystic acne on my chin to my cheek. I was like, "OH HELL NO. YOU ARE NOT SPREADING." I got two next to eachother so it looked like i'd been bitten by a snake. And they take so long to fade! So much concealer and thick foundation.

Anyway, my current base is Zuzu Luxe oil-free foundation paired with a light mineral foundation, now i'm getting like one zit a month (sometimes I forget to rub the gel on my face) so I barely need concealer. I like combining two kinds of foundation, and Zuzu Luxe is thin enough that the two together don't look cakey and gross.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:06 pm 
Naked Under Apron

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Trying to figure out what's bothering your acne is a rough process. In the end, I broke down and bought the acne.org treatment gel because I was using so many products that weren't working. What really sent me over the edge is when I went from just getting cystic acne on my chin to my cheek. I was like, "OH HELL NO. YOU ARE NOT SPREADING." I got two next to eachother so it looked like i'd been bitten by a snake. And they take so long to fade! So much concealer and thick foundation.

Yes! What the fork. It used to be contained to my chin area, but lately it has shown up a bit on my cheeks or forehead. I have convinced myself over the years that fewer, milder products = better, and that if I eat perfectly (low/no sugar, caffeine, or bagels) that my skin will be fine. And it sometimes is, but come on, other times I just want a brownie and some nights I will pass out on the couch without washing my face. So I should probably re-embrace acne fighting products. The taking so long to fade part is the worst! They're there, months later, making my skin look worse than it is.

How is the acne.org stuff working for you?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:10 pm 

It works great, I have gotten about one zit a month since using it, and they are always on my chin where the phone touches, and it's always when I get lax about putting it on because i'm in a hurry or too tired.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:19 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Great! I was happy to see that it's really not expensive either. I think the Boscia cleanser I use is like $28, so $38 for three things is not bad. Maybe I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:29 pm 

I only use the BP treatment gel, to be clear. If you've never used BP before, you might want to get a travel size because some people react really badly to it. Not me, I have skin of steel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:09 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I've been using Everyday Minerals for several years, and it doesn't irritate my skin. Bare Minerals made me really itchy, I assume from the bismuth oxychloride. The EM eyeshadows and blushes are great, too, and it's all pretty reasonably priced.

I haven't used liquid foundation in years, but I'm curious about Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics' liquid foundation. It's made to be used with an airbrush, but I've heard you can use it with a brush or damp sponge, too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:41 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

AndyDufresne wrote:
Has anyone with olive-toned skin found a foundation that works for them? I think I'll order samples from FACE atelier, but I'm pessimistic that I'll actually find something that works for me!

I've lighter olive skin, and the Gabriel foundation in natural beige works really well. I'd say it's medium coverage, not oil-free, but the Zuzu Luxe foundation is (and they're made by the same company). I haven't tried any foundation colors from ZuZu, but I use their pressed powder (C-7, I think?) and it doesn't have any pink or peach undertones to it. Maybe that's useful? I ordered samples from White Rabbit, and the woman who runs the business is really sweet. She actually sent me an additional color I didn't request, just because it was in between the colors I thought I should try. Also, there are about five or six applications in a sample, so you can try it out for a few days in a row before deciding whether you really like it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:05 am 

I've been using the Boscia BB cream and I kind of love it. It's a tad dark, but I'm in denial. It blends in pretty well, and I don't think I have an orange line or anything? Maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:23 pm 
Tofu Pup

Urban Decay tinted moisturizer with SPF contains oxybenzone. Vegan but I don't want that on my skin. I'm trying to find a vegan tinted moisturizer with sunscreen that uses zinc oxide instead!

Also, the Smashbox Sheer Focus tinted moisturizer has honey in it.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:22 pm 

I'm almost out of Zuzu Luxe, I was going to buy more and then I remembered the price (I bought the last tube with a gift card, it's always easier to splurge on someone else's dime), we're kind of in an awkward place with money right now but things should be better soon so I just really need a cheaper foundation to tide me over for a month, or one that maybe isn't cheap per ounce but comes in a small tube so it's not $25 plus up front. I tried a WnW liquid foundation and it just filled up my pores and made me cry. Anyone? I have an Ulta and our JC Penny has a Sephora counter that i've never been to.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I have a Chanel foundation that is amazing. It feels like nothing, doesn't irritate my skin, wears well, looks completely natural, and a tiny bit goes a long way. I've had it since September, using it every other day or so. I think it's water based, but I forget which formulation I have.

I'm pretty sure most, if not all, of the options are vegan, but I can't swear to that without rechecking since there are a few. I've never tried foundation before this because my skin can't handle much.

MBM, go scam samples! Chanel and Dior will both happily load you up. Not sure on Dior foundation veganness, so check. I just know they are sample friendly if you find a counter.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

MBM, I actually really like the Almay nearly naked liquid foundation, and nothing in the ingredients jumped out at me as obviously non-vegan, but the bottle sucks( glass without a pump). I use it over a primer though, (NYX pore filler, it's decent, and was on sale) as it does tend to pool in my pores if I don't. I've read a few places that the Hard Candy sheer envy primer is vegan, but I've never checked myself. You could get the HC primer and an Almay foundation for under $25 easy.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i remember reading somewhere (perhaps earlier in this thread?) that you can use OCC airbrush foundation even if you don't have an airbrush. well i mean, i know no one's going to arrest me if i try it, i guess i am just saying i remember reading that it works just fine with your fingers.

because i have suddenly gotten interested in the OCC primer as a possible replacement for UDPP (due to non-vegan-ness and also the fact that i can no longer squeeze it out of the tube, what the fizzle?!), i'm thinking about buying a foundation as well... and what the heck, maybe their new concealer while i'm at it?

my biggest worry is the color selection, because it doesn't seem that they offer samples. i am tempted to guess that i'm Y1 because i'm usually not the "porcelain" or "transparent" or whatever option, but the next step up... but i also worry about getting burned. sigh.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:07 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Has anyone ever tried the Arbonne liquid foundation? I know it's pricey ($50) but honestly I have been wearing foundation for over 10 years and I STILL have not found my holy grail.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:47 am 
Ninja Master

My favourite is still makeup forevers HD foundation. So awesome.

Do you get Bourjois on the US? Their healthy mix foundation is vegan and pretty great.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:57 am 

Here's a thing on Everyday Minerals about how to figure out your undertone and shade:

http://www.everydayminerals.com/compone ... muntiy/912

Another thing you can do, if you feel okay with it, is going to a counter and asking them to color match you, then comparing their foundation to the one you want to buy. I don't think i'd be able to wriggle away afterwards.

I never knew about undertones because I had always bought drugstore foundation in Pale asparagus bisque, until I tried the UD foundation and was like, "Why is my face yellow?!" That was my expensive lesson. As long as you know which undertone you have, and approximately which shade, even if it's a little off you can correct it with powder a little. I use a mix of liquid and mineral foundation, and since it's summer i'm mixing the mineral powder with little loose bronzing powder so it's not so white and pale. The Lush foundation was too dark to use in the winter but for awhile that's all I had, so I used a pale mineral powder to lighten my face.

If Arbonne is that pricey, they might have a money back guarantee, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:54 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Face Atelier. Hands down, the best I've used. No question about whether it's vegan or cruelty-free; it is, and it's makeup artist quality.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:26 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

paprikapapaya wrote:
Face Atelier. Hands down, the best I've used. No question about whether it's vegan or cruelty-free; it is, and it's makeup artist quality.

Ooh, I just googled and there is a salon pretty close to me that sells this stuff! It's pretty comparable in price to Arbonne. Now I'm torn about which to get. An acquaintance in another city is an Arbonne sales rep so she's sending me some samples in the mail. I guess I'll wait and see how those work out. I just really want something that doesn't look all cakey and helps suppress my mid-day shinies.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:36 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

paprikapapaya wrote:

I agree. I got samples from White Rabbit before shelling out for a full sized bottle. It has really good coverage, but you can also thin it out with moisturizer. It works with a foundation brush or a beauty blender sponge.

However! I also bought the Face Atelier Ultra Matte spray and maybe I'm using it wrong, but it doesn't seem to work at all. Ruins the texture of the makeup on my face and doesn't seem to really reduce the shine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:55 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I haven't tried Arbonne but this thread got me to order samples of Face Atelier and I love it. Then I use Everyday Minerals powder to absorb the oil and give a non-shiny non-cakey finish. It's the best my makeup has ever looked, even if it's a bit pricey.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:16 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i've been using face atelier for the past year, and i really like it. before that, i'd been using mineral foundation for years and years, so it was my re-introduction to liquid foundation and i went for it based on all the raves in this thread. the coverage is really, really good.

i'm not *as* crazy about their loose powder, but it's okay.

i used to get a little shiny with the foundation, BUT i've discovered an awesome moisturizer from LUSH (enzymion) and it really seriously cuts down on my shiny factor, even in this crazy 100-degree heat wave we've been having.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next