| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gluten Free Vegan in Philly?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:52 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Is it possible? Does anyone know if all of our beloved vegan eateries offer any gluten free options? I feel like I have no place to go anymore. HipCityVeg did tell me that they are working on a gluten free menu, which is really exciting. But I'm kind of sad that I can't have Blackbird anymore or the Tempeh Club at the Royal Tavern or all of the fabulous Vegan Treats grub at Grindcore or the Vegan Chicken Cheesesteak at Govindas!

Super sad face :o(

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Gluten Free Vegan in Philly?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:56 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I know this is out of the city, but I highly recommend Sprig & Vine for all your special-occasion dining. They always have several gluten-free options and they're marked as such on the menu. Very helpful. Vedge may be ridiculously expensive, but most of their menu actually appears to be gluten-free or easily made gluten-free. I'm really excited to hear that HipCity is working on a gluten-free menu! I have a lot of gluten-free friends who will be thrilled about that.

Have you been to Sweet Freedom? I recently discovered their Samoa cupcake and holy crepe it was good. I've heard that the gluten-free bakery in the italian market called Toté might have *a few* vegan things. I'm pretty sure the chickpea salad at blackbird is GF, but I know that's not very exciting. Grindcore does get one gluten-free cake a week from vegan treats, as well as regular deliveries of chocolate chip cookies and banana bread from Gluten-free Warrior. You might want to call ahead to make sure there is a treat for you, though. HUGS.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks! I have been to Spring & Vine and Vedge previous to being gluten free. I dont get to New Hope very often and Vedge is crazy expensive, but its nice to know they are an option.

I still havent been to Sweet Freedom but now they are a def must!

Im not that sad about missing out on sweets. But Ive been craving sandwiches. And now I realize not only can I not eat the bread but I cant have seitan and vegan veg burgers either! That is frustrating. I am dying to eat everything on the HipCityVeg menu.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

GraciaKai wrote:
I still havent been to Sweet Freedom but now they are a def must!

i'll give you my expired groupon. i don't really have much of a desire to go back there again.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:56 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

No, was it not good?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

maybe i just had bad things, but i also have extra-sensitive taste buds. my review is in the sweet freedom thread. (basically everything tasted like chemicals)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm sure I will check them out at some point. I've heard good things about them and actually just saw them on a food network tv show. (Don't ask me to remember which one)

I also just contact Amaranth Gulten Free bakery in Lancaster, because they make bread and rolls. And they sell at the Collingswood farmers market. Right now none of their breads are vegan so I asked if they had any plans to start making vegan gluten free bread. But they said no, they feel that the eggs and honey are important for their bread. But they do make vegan gluten free brownies, granola, and flour mixes.

I think I might buy their savory flour mix and try to make some pizza. Cause I am seriously missing pizza right now! For the most part my carb cravings have gone away. But I would really kill for some homemade pizza right now.

http://spiceoflifelancaster.com/pre_ord ... quare.html

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

is your new GF diet a temporary thing, or were you diagnosed with something super yucky and permanent? :-(

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Well, with the advise of my chiropractor I stopped eating gluten and now my SI joint pain is pretty much gone. At the beginning of the year I was having horrible sciatica pain that came out of nowhere. I saw two primary docs, an orthopedic spine doc and a pain management doc that refused to test me for a gluten intolerance because I wasn't having stomach pains. But after much research and pretty much a leap of faith I stopped eating gluten and now I feel almost 100% better than I did in Jan, Feb, and March. So I have no proof that I am gluten intolerant and I don't know if I will have to do this forever. But it seems to be helping for now, so I am sticking with it.

I also found out that I have three herniated discs in my lower back and my SI joint on my left side is inflamed and the combination of the two is what caused the sciatica.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

darn. that sucks. i hope some day you'l be able to at least introduce a little bit of gluten back in.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:28 pm 
Saggy Butt

pure fare in rittenhouse has gluten free bread

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:39 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ill have to check that out. I can walk there from work. Thanks!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:52 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm in the same boat with ya. Do you happen to know if Amaranth Gluten Free bakery sell their mixes at Collingswood's farmers market?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i don't remember seeing amaranth at the collingswood market just this past saturday. they did have wild flour from northeast philly, but i don't know what the breads are made of or if they're even vegan let alone GF.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

jaine-pie wrote:
I'm in the same boat with ya. Do you happen to know if Amaranth Gluten Free bakery sell their mixes at Collingswood's farmers market?

No I don't, I haven't been to Collingswood yet this year. But I think on their site it says where they are planning to be. Or you could email them and ask them when they will be in Collingswood again and request the flours. I'm sure if they are scheduled to come then they will bring the flours if you ask them to. They emailed me back right away when I asked them about doing vegan bread.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:16 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks! :) I'll be at almost every c-wood farmers market this year so I'll just keep an eye out.

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]