| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What does it mean?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:25 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
Oh god, we have one of those trucks. It plays "It's a small world" and "do your ears hang low" interspersed with farm animal sounds, the creepy "hello", and the maniacal kiddie laughter. Whatever happened to ice cream trucks just ringing a bell?

Instead of an ice cream truck, we have an eggs and poultry van doing its tour once a week in our neighbourhood! It's ringing and has "kickerikiii" (cockadoodledoo?) coming from it's speakers! Luckily, I only hear it when I'm sick at home, because it's stopping by during the day.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:34 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

veganna wrote:
Redirected here from Mars's post in Lavawitch's thread..

Did we ever get closure on this phenomenon?

Nope. The light went out for about a month and I thought maybe it was out for good. But it came back on a few months ago, and it is right back to the whole "sometimes red, sometimes white" thing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:17 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

veganna wrote:
I don't know anything about photography, but my roommate has red light bulbs for developing film. I've never seen this process, so I don't know if it is a viable option. I thought I'd just throw that out there.

nope. all white light will mess everything up. (therefore with the shades open, the light from the street lamp light will enter the room.)

if it was a darkroom, the room will appear dark from raspberrycomplaint's perspective

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:19 pm 

it's probably a brothel. and she's married to a sailor (or trucker). therefore white when he's home.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:29 pm 
Hip Goiter

primesaut wrote:
This thread reminded me of the mystery of the weird red light I started seeing from my new apartment's kitchen window last November. It just went on and off for hours at a time...

I finally realized it was a traffic light that had previously been hidden by tree leaves. D'oh!

Ahh so funny!!!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:58 pm 
Tofu Pup

This is seriously the most hilarious thread ever!
Will we ever find out the answers to the mysterious lamp?!
:)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:51 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I had to find this thread to let you all know that THE LIGHT IS PURPLE TONIGHT. This has never happened before. It has always been either red or white. I don't know what to think.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:55 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

The aliens have finally arrived.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:37 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Holy shiitake? Purple?! Did it stay purple for a few nights or was it just that one night?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:09 am 
Seagull of the PPK

When I lived on my friend's upstairs porch in RI many moons ago the guy next door had a lamp that changed colors-- and was angled to shine directly in my forking eyes at night (i was pregnant, working long hours, and very grumpy at the time). it also was sometimes on during the day, which i thought was even odder. i went over there to ask them to at least put a cover on it at night or something- the people were very weird, unpleasant, and i think they just replaced the bulb with higher wattage after i asked. we put up blinds instead.

I moved out, and fast forward some years later i read about the same family in the paper- the cops got 2 generations for drug distribution. My friend told me that the light was always there, different colors. They ran a "dial a drug" thing and even though the house was not in a super central location, it was easy enough to drive by and see if they had whatever the blue or red or whatever light was.

Good ol' Rhode Island.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:32 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

It has to be something innocuous. Like... they were just shopping at the store and found the colored lights and though it would be fun. But they soon realized they couldn't see well enough to read with the lights all red. So they put them in the closet. And then,every couple of months or so, they find them again, and think what a great time it was sitting under the red light.

That or aliens.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:22 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

joyfulgirl wrote:
Holy shiitake? Purple?! Did it stay purple for a few nights or was it just that one night?

I haven't been outside the last few nights, so I don't know. I'll have to remember to check tonight! It looked like it could have been a black light bulb, since those shine kinda purple-y. I can see sitting in a room with a black light, if you're into that (my cousin had one when he was a teenager), but I just cannot see sitting in a room with the red light. It is so bright (obviously no lampshade or cover of any kind), and who wants the entire room to look red?

Sometimes I feel like Mrs. Kravitz, peering out my windows at the neighbours, but they all do weird shiitake that I can't help noticing!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

torque wrote:
When I lived on my friend's upstairs porch in RI many moons ago the guy next door had a lamp that changed colors-- and was angled to shine directly in my forking eyes at night (i was pregnant, working long hours, and very grumpy at the time). it also was sometimes on during the day, which i thought was even odder. i went over there to ask them to at least put a cover on it at night or something- the people were very weird, unpleasant, and i think they just replaced the bulb with higher wattage after i asked. we put up blinds instead.

I moved out, and fast forward some years later i read about the same family in the paper- the cops got 2 generations for drug distribution. My friend told me that the light was always there, different colors. They ran a "dial a drug" thing and even though the house was not in a super central location, it was easy enough to drive by and see if they had whatever the blue or red or whatever light was.

Good ol' Rhode Island.

Wow, this sounds just like the light! The lamp is right in the window, no lampshade, no shade on the window, like it's supposed to be seen from outside. And it's really forking bright. Maybe I should befriend some of the sketchtastic people that congregate on that street and see if I can learn anything. Or maybe not!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:26 pm 

maybe you should alert the authorities?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:56 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

It's white tonight. I just checked.

supercarrot wrote:
maybe you should alert the authorities?

My dad's a cop. He says I'm just crazy.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:58 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i think befriending the sketcheroos sounds like a great idea. you never know when it might come in handy.

in that same house (what is with friggin new england?? god i miss that kind of character)
-- back up and let me say SMALL TOWN. Smallest town in the smallest county in the smallest state was our claim to fame. My best friend (whose house it was) grew up there, and she knew EVERYBODY. She told me if I got pulled over by a cop and the cop was white, make sure to mention that even though I was born in NJ, I knew that he peed his pants in 4th grade (i would never do that.). The other cop, who was apparently non-white, was more continent and i should avoid?

anyway i digress. I lived there for almost 8 years and worked a public library job and got to know the real characters of the town.
One of them obviously had some addiction issues and drifted in and out of shelter situations, always on the move, seemed nice enough but always on the edge of some yawning abyss.
One night I am visiting my friend and we're in her living room and hear a strange banging noise outside in the yard, we both go out ready to find raccoons in the trash cans or something, the usual.
We walk around the house and the noise is coming from The Basement. Of course. It's locked. Someone's banging against the door.
My friend calls out and it's a guy inside who is desperate to get out. We figure, how bad could he be, if he had a gun he would have shot his way out, and she opens the door and he seriously comes flying out and falls down and it's this guy in really, really bad shape. He looks like he's seeing ghosts. My friend is understandably upset and asks how the hell he got down there. Usually the basement was locked, there was valuable stuff down there.
The guy says, i swear, "i didn't know the tunnel came out here".
We both nearly shiitake our pants.

The guy is a bit calmer, since I sort of know who he is and that he's local and probably lives within a few blocks we ask if he's OK, does he know where he's headed, yes yes, we see him out of the yard and off he goes.
We both go to inspect the basement (this is a what, 1700 house? dirt and stone basement. sea captain's house with ceilings made of old sails. anything's possible in this house). I was sure we were going to die, but no tunnels, no holes, no nothing. To this day we have no idea how that guy got in the basement.
The sad PS is that the next morning he was found dead on the steps of the library. The cops were not interested (he died from knife wounds, we thought they might have been interested in his whereabouts, but whatthehelldoweknow).

There is no moral to this story except I miss New England in all its crunchy eccentric glory and feel like writing. And make sure your basement is locked.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:23 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

OMGs, torque, you always have the BEST stories.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:58 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

torque, that was scary. Especially him turning up dead the next day!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:50 am 

well, he was obviously a time traveler.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:52 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

OMG torque, that's so creepy!!! Now I am going to be constantly checking my basement door to make sure it's locked.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:43 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Holy crepe, torque! That's unbelievable!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

UPDATE:

A while back, the family that lived on the second floor of this house (home of the mysterious light) moved out. One day, a white van parked in front of the house and people loaded furniture in it. The next day, the upstairs residents were gone. The upstairs windows have been dark ever since. It's been several months and no one has moved in. I thought that was weird, because as far as I know, the house is a section 8 (low income housing) building, and there is always a super long wait list for low income housing.

Then in October, I noticed a red light in a window on the FIRST floor. It was there for 2 nights. I thought it was a fluke, but tonight it's back again! I took a picture (the red light is in the window next to the door):

It actually looks like they have a shade down behind the light.

So I guess there are two options here. One is that it was the downstairs people that moved out, and the upstairs people moved themselves and their light downstairs. The other is that the upstairs family did move out, and the downstairs people have taken up the weird light business in their stead. Or maybe something else? What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:13 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Weird! I have no clue, but I'm so curious...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:02 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

still fascinated.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:21 am 
Smuggling Raisins

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
So I guess there are two options here. One is that it was the downstairs people that moved out, and the upstairs people moved themselves and their light downstairs. The other is that the upstairs family did move out, and the downstairs people have taken up the weird light business in their stead. Or maybe something else? What do you guys think?

I'd guess the ones selling drugs are making enough money to rent the whole place themselves. Safer that way anyway. Ground floor is better access too. You should hang out outside one day and tell a stranger you meet "good news, it's red tonight" to see what they say.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next