| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:17 pm 
Saggy Butt

I just got a strapless bra from The Little Bra Company (yes, that's its name). It is the first strapless bra I've ever had that stays up without being ridiculously uncomfortable. I've come to the conclusion that, even though I have a small chest, I need to spend more on bras and actually buy ones sized for petites (the cups are closer together).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Dr. Apricot wrote:
My recommendation is to get a fitting somewhere. Nordstrom does them, as do specialty places like Intimacy. (Do NOT go to Victoria's Secret for a fitting, even if you like their stuff--they once told me that a 34D is the same as a 36C. It's not.) Most women wear the wrong size. Once you know your size you can search out cheaper options.

Years ago I worked in bra manufacturing, and you're right a 34D is not the same as a 36C, however that is how manufacturers size them to save money. Only really high end manufacturers would size each individual size.
I hate buying bras too. Even if you get measured properly, you can't count on manufacturers to be consistent, nor even within the same company. I remember one place I worked had 34B's for full figures, and 34B's for skinny people.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:04 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

von m wrote:
I remember one place I worked had 34B's for full figures, and 34B's for skinny people.

How on earth does that even work? I'm so confused.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:16 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

Sarah wrote:
von m wrote:
I remember one place I worked had 34B's for full figures, and 34B's for skinny people.

It's like vanity sizing for bras.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:40 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Adah wrote:
Sarah wrote:
von m wrote:

It's like vanity sizing for bras.

Plus sized women are shaped differently everywhere. Before I lost weight, Lane Bryant was pretty much the only place I could find B cup bras that fit. At other stores, the straps were too short and the bras pinched in weird places. The sizes were technically the same as far as cup size and band width, but one fit and one only sort of fit. I assume it is similar to how size 14 jeans and size 14W jeans are simulate waist size, but the W are more generously cut through the hips and seat, so fits much better than a 16 would.

At VS, the Pink line sizing is a bit smaller; before zi found the few styles that fit me best, the Pink bras were the easier to fit, although I don't want hearts and puppies all over all of my underwear.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:28 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Sarah wrote:
Okay, so I decided to measure myself to see what happened.

Band measurement: I measured 30", which supposedly if you are under 33" you add 5" - therefore, 35", but then you round to the next even number, so 36". Band size = 36. I wear a 34 right now on the loosest clasp, so this makes sense.

Cup size: My bust measured 34 1/2" loosely, so I'm kind of at a loss. If the difference were 5" I'd be a DD, which I've looked at and let me tell you, my tits are not big enough to go in there. If it's 4" I'd be a D, which is what I am wearing now.

This was all according to the CKU.com fitting chart.

But then, I put my numbers in on the calculator here: http://www.85b.org/bra_calc.php and it tells me I'm a 34B! This cannot be true! Oh bra fitting, why do you suck so much?

I am a 34 DD-and I don't feel like I am that big. I do wear a 36 D in some bras too, depending on the padding. If a bra come in both 34 DD and 36 D they are not the same.
I get most of my bras at Nordstroms or Saks. I like Chantalle. They last forever (They should! They cost $70+ ish!) and they fit me the best. Betsey Johnson are the only cute bras that ever fit me.
Just from experience-I had fitting last year at JC Pennys, VS, Nordstroms, and only Nordstroms was right.
The trick to a good bra fitting is having an expert who isn't "shy", and expect to be 'handled'. It is a lot more than just measuring. Look for the oldest lady in the place.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:16 pm 

I like the bras from Lane Bryant. I am all about their plunge but the full coverage are good too. I like that they have colorful and pretty bras, since most bras for fuller chicas are beige or black. I think they start at a B cup and go to a multi-F or even G.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:33 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I have the hardest time finding bras ever. I think I need to get one custom made or something. I am a DD (or bigger, possibly, but I always buy DD), but I have an hourglass and have a small waist BUT I am plus sized. There is a place close by (http://www.lineaintima.com/) that does bra fittings and I think I may go one day.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:16 pm 

I've needed new bras for at least a year, but I haven't been able to bring myself to go bra shopping. Well, I went once, to Lane Bryant and they had nothing in the store that fit me. They tried to get me to special order something, but I'll be damned if I'm going to buy a bra without trying it on. Nothing makes me feel like more of a gigantic freak than trying to find a bra that fits. It sucks because, even if I go get fitted, even places like Nordstrom will have just one or two bras that fit. Then the saleslady will spend a bunch of time pulling stuff that might work, but doesn't and I end up feeling like shiitake. Oh, and the ones that do fit cost $90.

My last fully functional bra snapped a wire this week, so I have to buy new ones this weekend. I had an anxiety dream about it last night.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:36 pm 

In a generalized bra rant I just want to stab everyone involved in the industry for their stupid-ass sizing. You can go get fitted but, in my experience, it doesn't mean a damn thing. The size that fits you varies from brand to brand and even from style to style within brands. Also, when you get into larger sizes you have D, DD, DDD, DDDD but you also have D, E, F, G and sometimes D, DD, DDD, F, G. There is no consistency! There is a forking magical formula for figuring out what size you're supposed to wear! That formula doesn't work when you get above a D cup! RAWR! HULK SMASH! *pant pant*

The lingerie business needs a collective kick in the face.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:15 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

With all the weight changes I've had over the years my boobs have had three different (European?) sizes. No wait, four. I buy the cheapest bras there are at one of the cheapest stores we have... and they're just fine. I have no problem shopping for them. I think I... maybe... don't belong in this thread. But I like talking about boobs. :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:26 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm scared to go to a sizing. I have one b-cup boob and one c-cup. What are my options? Either I have a gap between one boob and the bra, or I have one boob hanging out of the bra. My only guess is that they will sell me a bra with padding that can be removed, and I'll just take one of the paddings out.

But I really don't want bras with padding or underwires. I want comfort, thin bras that are kind of like sports bras, but sexy.

I don't know what to do. Maybe I do need to go somewhere fancy and get them to advise me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:33 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

graffitipassion wrote:
I'm scared to go to a sizing. I have one b-cup boob and one c-cup. What are my options? Either I have a gap between one boob and the bra, or I have one boob hanging out of the bra. My only guess is that they will sell me a bra with padding that can be removed, and I'll just take one of the paddings out.

But I really don't want bras with padding or underwires. I want comfort, thin bras that are kind of like sports bras, but sexy.

I don't know what to do. Maybe I do need to go somewhere fancy and get them to advise me.

I have 2 friends with this problem-very noticable difference. On had a piece made professionaly-she really had almost nothing on the one side. The other buys the bigger size and puts in a 'cutlet'.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:01 pm 

graffitipassion wrote:

Fit to the bigger boob then use one of those silicone inserts to fill out the cup on the smaller side.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:09 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I absolutely hate bra shopping.

I was cursed with giant boobs at an early age and so i spent the majority of my youth trying to mash them down in every way possible.

now that I am in my 20's and have figured out boobs ain't so bad, i get ALL my bras at Cacique but it specializes in bigger cup sizes. Thank god for the sales ladies there!! They are always super helpful and understanding.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:45 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

HATE bra shopping and mine are all looking super ratty. So annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:10 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I also hate bra shopping. Does anyone with a small chest have any suggestions about which companies to buy from? I can never get bras to fit my tiny chest properly!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:20 am 
Kale Wreath

VeganMeredith wrote:
I also hate bra shopping. Does anyone with a small chest have any suggestions about which companies to buy from? I can never get bras to fit my tiny chest properly!

No suggestions really except that we should trade cities/countries. I've given up trying to go bra-shopping here because I can't find anything with enough support for me. But there are lots of really pretty ones for smaller-chested women!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:36 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

my favorite is this one i've found at target - simple, comfy, just under $20, looks good under t-shirts. actually, i better go buy some more or i'll have to riot like amanda.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:50 am 

pistachiorose wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:

No suggestions really except that we should trade cities/countries. I've given up trying to go bra-shopping here because I can't find anything with enough support for me. But there are lots of really pretty ones for smaller-chested women!

Oh no, that's unfortunate :(. I think I really need to go get properly fitted.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:42 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

VeganMeredith wrote:

Lula Lu specializes in small sizes and I've had good luck with them before. Their fitting section is pretty handy too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:02 pm 

Hapax Legomenon wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:

Lula Lu specializes in small sizes and I've had good luck with them before. Their fitting section is pretty handy too.

That website looks great, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:44 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I love that this is the bra shopping support thread. Anyway, all my bras are exactly the same. Smooth, black, lightly lined. Apparently being a 32B should mean I have a complex about my chest, so all the bras I can find in my size are pushup style and stuffed out to here. ::sigh::

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:40 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I was thinking about getting some bras from Rawganique. Anyone order from them before?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:23 pm 
Dildo Queen

thisheregiraffe wrote:
semiautomatic wrote:
also: don't buy cheap bras at places like la senza or victoria's secret (they're the same company, essentially). get some NICE ones, it will be worth it. cheap bras are no good.

What stores do you recommend? I'm always looking for an alternative to Victoria's Secret, but it's hard to find my size anywhere else.

i go to a store called the Bay but i think it's only available in canada. but the brands i buy and love are DKNY and Calvin Klein. they're durable, high-quality. i paid about $40 for them (each) but it's worth it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next