| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: A banana soft serve "ice cream" announcement
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:08 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

designedtobekind wrote:
I think the deal is that people claim that you "can't tell the difference" between food processed frozen bananas and soft serve, which is just not true. I like the banana goo when I want something healthy and frozen, but soft serve, it is most definitely not.

Exactly. I was disappointed when I first tried it, because I love soft serve like crazy, and this is not it. But seeing as I can't quit my job to follow the Like No Udder truck around Rhode Island every day, I still make it sometimes.

My favorite smoothie though (ok, I'm from MA and have no idea what you frappe/cabinet/milkshake people are talking about) is soymilk, frozen banana, cocoa, pinch of salt, little bit of vanilla, and agave if it needs it. And sometimes peanut butter. So that's kinda the same as what Adam's saying, but I drink it.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:17 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

ok, i was reading through this thread earlier, then, when i was eating dinner i was flipping through a Joel Furman book, and the recipes. It reminded me of all the other "supposedly tastes like" recipes in this thread. This one takes the cake for grossness. I seriously thought it was a misprint, like 2 recipes got mixed up in the printing. but nope, the directions prove that its not. so.gross.

Nutrient Rich Chocolate pudding
ingredients: lentils, kale, butternut squash, beetroot, broccoli, zucchini, dr furmans vegizest or other no salt seasoning, raisins, dates, cashews, more dates, cocoa powder, vanilla, soy milk, baby spinach, optional maple syrup

he tells you to cook the veg, raisins and dates for 45 minutes, separate out the beets, blend the stuff, then add the beets 1/4 at a time and blend until the mistuer reaches desired "chocolate" color. pour into custard cups and chill. WHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAA?????????????? oh and also that "this is great topped with a dollop of macadamia cream and a strawberry"

SO GROSS. you add beet to make it chocolate colored and call it chocolate???/ and why on earth would you add savory vegizest seasoning to a chocolate pudding. doesnt that probly have like onions and stuff in it? GROSS

Dr Furman flicks the weasel

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:17 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

kaybee wrote:
you add beet to make it chocolate colored and call it chocolate???

to be fair, that recipe does contain cocoa powder.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

red and green make a brownish color. without the beet, it was probably too green to be appetizing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:51 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I suspect that if you gave that "pudding" to any kid and told them it was delicious chocolate, you would get your nads punched so hard you'd never walk again.

"But it's nutrient-rich! AHGAHD THE PAIN!"

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:09 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Or, cut the ingredients in half, make a salad and then make brownies with the rest.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:29 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
maybe just realize a brownie is not ment to be a healthy food, just like no one wants soup for dessert

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:40 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Personally, I like to add a little Mrs. Dash to my chocolate pudding. The garlic gives it that extra little zing missing from most desserts.

supercarrot wrote:
designedtobekind wrote:
I think the deal is that people claim that you "can't tell the difference" between food processed frozen bananas and soft serve, which is just not true. I like the banana goo when I want something healthy and frozen, but soft serve, it is most definitely not.

but those of us who are saying the texture is spot on are talking about the ones that are made with the champion juicer. not in a food processor.

I know, that's why I said the food processed version. I wasn't arguing, just speaking from my experience in reading about how you stick some bananas in a food processor and POOF ice cream!, and making that same version and POOF! not ice cream.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have a non-vegan friend who makes frozen banana "ice cream" all the time. She swears its good. I have yet to do it. And I'm sure if I did, I would add cinnamon, vanilla, maple syrup, peanut butter, and some soy milk to it. So call mine a freaking smoothie and I'll make it in the blender. I'm sure mine would taste a million times better than hers.

I love bananas but somehow I don't think eating a pureed frozen one would do it for me. Go big or go home when it comes to ice cream!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:56 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Adam Crisis wrote:
just like no one wants soup for dessert

i had a strawberry and champagne soup for dessert once. it was delightful.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

designedtobekind wrote:
I know, that's why I said the food processed version. I wasn't arguing, just speaking from my experience in reading about how you stick some bananas in a food processor and POOF ice cream!, and making that same version and POOF! not ice cream.

This was my experience.

GraciaKai wrote:
I love bananas but somehow I don't think eating a pureed frozen one would do it for me. Go big or go home when it comes to ice cream!

See, I agree with "go big or go home" (I have cake batter ice cream in my freezer right now. Amazing stuff) and that's where my issue with the banana "ice cream" is a problem. Call it something else and I think it's okay. Get half the blogging and recipe sharing world calling some processed bananas "ice cream" and you have a serious case of false advertising. If I wanted something frozen and light, this may have hit the spot had it been called something else, but it is forever engrained in my mind as cold banana goo.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:18 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I just pureed a frozen banana with some peanut butter and mixed in oreos. it was delicious. at that particular moment that I was eating it, it was fantastic, delicious banana/PB-flavored ice cream with oreos mixed in. If I would have waited a little and it started to melt, it would have been unappeeling (can't resist a good pun) slimy banana mush. timing is everything.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:17 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I really think a little milk is key here. Maybe that makes it a smoothie by definition, but it adds creaminess that plain bananas lack.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:11 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

WP_000452 by Ms Nomer, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:49 am 

^^^^

WANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANT!!!!!

Although does anyone else think 'yonana' totally sounds like another name for vagina?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:21 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

VanillaDoe wrote:
Although does anyone else think 'yonana' totally sounds like another name for vagina?

Exactly! You made me laugh so hard :-)

I got a vitamix for my birthday a week ago and it makes some awesome frozen banana ice cream. The bananas get pulverized so fast they have no time to melt or get gooey and the texture is spot on. I'll admit that the stuff does have a slight banana taste, but I don't mind that at all. I need to get more bananas!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

the yonanas maker looks very much like a champion juicer. is it a one-purpose tool? i'd be frustrated at a tool that big that only did one thing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:58 am 

supercarrot wrote:
the yonanas maker looks very much like a champion juicer. is it a one-purpose tool? i'd be frustrated at a tool that big that only did one thing.

I think it is. I was curious so I checked the reviews on Amazon; people seem to like it, but it doesn't look like you can do nearly as much with it as you can with a Champion. I think I'll save my pennies for something that makes juice, nut butters, et cetera.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

SassyOh wrote:
supercarrot wrote:

I think it is. I was curious so I checked the reviews on Amazon; people seem to like it, but it doesn't look like you can do nearly as much with it as you can with a Champion. I think I'll save my pennies for something that makes juice, nut butters, et cetera.

Yeah, I have seen the Yonanas thing in stores around here, and it seems ridiculous. I would only consider buying it if I had endless money and counter space.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:27 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

'Yomamas'

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:47 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

solipsistnation wrote:
'Yomamas'

'Grandma style

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:30 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I'd try it. It would only be $40 with a Bed Bath & Beyond coupon. I'm such a sucker though, because even though I know better, I still read those reviews saying it tastes JUST LIKE soft serve, and I'm excited about it all over again. Omg soft serve! Ha.

I did try frozen mango the other night, and even though I thought it was going to kill my food processor, it was delicious! Like sorbet, but creamier and without sugar.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:52 pm 
Tofu Pup

I couldn't pull the "banana soft serve" over on my kids. So I think it isn't a substitution. That is the litmus test. At least with the earth balance and a few other subs, they haven't noticed. Neither one would eat pulverized frozen bananas.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:34 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I do think it's misleading to say it is just like soft serve, but it really is delicious. Creamier than most sorbet, and a nice base for toppings that is healthier than most vegan ice cream. I am all about sundae toppings. I would not serve it to a banana hater, though.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:44 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

THERE'S ALWAYS MONEY IN THE BANANA STAND

Panda With Cookie

Last edited by pandacookie on Wed May 30, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next