| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 699 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:19 pm 
ugh

I bought a basil plant and a cherry tomato plant! They are staying in their pots so it's not exactly a garden, but I'm excited. I have a bad history with plants - the last potted herbs I tried died pretty quickly, as do most flowers and stuff I've attempted to keep around - but I finally have an office plant that has lasted me more than a couple months so my hopes are up. Wish me luck!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:24 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

By "Staying in their pots" do you mean, you are not transferring them out of the plastic pots they come in? Because that will not work, potted is fine, but you need really big pots, they need a tonne of soil.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I started a bunch of basil inside because it hadn't warmed up enough here to keep it out overnight. So I know I have to transplant them in the near future... but each of the little tiny pots they're in has multiple sprouts (because I didn't think they'd sprout so well!), so should I pull out the extras so each has one sprout? Or can I leave it until later?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:03 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My radishes came up in their pot yesterday!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:15 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Awesome! I've been eating radish sprouts as I thin. So yum.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:57 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I've got a packet of bell pepper seeds which say to sow indoors in Feb-April. Is there any hope I might get peppers if I sow them outdoors now? I'm far too impatient to wait til next year!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:35 am 
Saggy Butt

My balcony is so windy! My poor plants. I thought the limited amount of sunlight was going to be my biggest problem there, but now I'm worried the wind might break their stems. I just hope it'll be OK.

On a happier note, my courgette/zucchini plants are starting to grow flowers, and they're beautiful! I didn't know they would be so big and pretty and yellow, so that was a nice surprise. I think it's just male flowers so far though.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:04 am 
ugh

Mars wrote:
By "Staying in their pots" do you mean, you are not transferring them out of the plastic pots they come in? Because that will not work, potted is fine, but you need really big pots, they need a tonne of soil.

There's a tag on the tomato plant that says it doesn't need to be replanted. The pot looks sort of like this but the trellis or whatever that thing is called is connected to the pot in one big plastic thing.

The basil pot looks fairly large (?) but I do have a bigger pot available if I need to transplant it. How do you determine the right size pot for a plant?

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:30 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

You don't have to repot anything, but the more room the roots have, the bigger your plant can grow. And then you get to eat more of it!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:49 am 

I started renting my allotment today! Right now it's just a square with grass on it, and it hasn't been worked for a long time. I'm heading over there now to plan what to do and might just try to dig a little bit to feel the dirt. Yay! Pictures to come.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:38 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

We bought our house last year- right in the middle of a crazy hot summer- so this is my first year getting to do anything with the yard. So far, I have ripped out a brick planter in the front and created a semicircular flower bed with lots of beautiful plants and flowers, hung ferns on the porch and added potted impatients and petunias to the porch. In the back I've potted citronella plants on the deck, created some nice little petunia patches here and there, and created a veggie and melon patch against the back fence and an herb and fruit/veg patch along the deck-line in the yard.

Today alone, I planted three more tomato plants, more purple basil, eight cauliflower plants, nine sweet potato plants, and two sugar snap pea plants. These join the three massive mint plants, various types, two basil plants, one cilantro plant, one german thyme plant, one sage, two types of lavendar, one rosemary plant, ten strawberry plants, one zucchini plant, and an existing tomato plant (in the patch along the deck). Along the back fence I now have, two eggplants, three summer squash plants, one jalapeno, one sweet bell pepper plant, eight watermelon plants, two pumpkin plants, three cantaloupe plants, four okra plants, and one golden watermelon plant.

I'm seriously considering renting a tiller so I can cut another patch for onions, garlic, spinach, lettuce, and potaotes. I really want to plant them but the thought of breaking ground for another patch by hand makes me want to throw up. I'm also contemplating some blueberries and raspberries.

So, that's my little backyard farm adventure :)

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Started my first garden today! So worried, I am a total noobie. I have a small above ground vegetable garden and then a smaller above ground herb garden. I have: eggplant, cucumber, lettuce, kale, swiss chard, tomatoes, red peppers, dill, cilantro, rosemary, oregano, and basil. I'm a bit nervous about the closeness of the spacing, and really didn't plant them strategically. My mom helped and she has had veggie gardens, never doing any kind of strategic placement and doing totally fine.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:38 pm 

I'm so so so sore right now after yesterday's 3 hours of digging and todays 5,5 h. It seems like I've got myself a gym.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:54 pm 

veggiepalooza wrote:
Started my first garden today! So worried, I am a total noobie. I have a small above ground vegetable garden and then a smaller above ground herb garden. I have: eggplant, cucumber, lettuce, kale, swiss chard, tomatoes, red peppers, dill, cilantro, rosemary, oregano, and basil. I'm a bit nervous about the closeness of the spacing, and really didn't plant them strategically. My mom helped and she has had veggie gardens, never doing any kind of strategic placement and doing totally fine.

So much stuff! I'm new at it, too, and I think you shouldn't be nervous. Every year your garden will get better and you'll keep learning. It's so awesome in that way!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:18 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

IsaChandra wrote:
veggiepalooza wrote:

So much stuff! I'm new at it, too, and I think you shouldn't be nervous. Every year your garden will get better and you'll keep learning. It's so awesome in that way!

Aw thank you that is so nice! Good luck with yours too! It is a lovely new delicious hobby so I am excited!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:05 am 
protein lump

we were away for 3 days and i put my sprouts in a closed room so the cats wouldn't get into them. it must have created a greenhouse with all the heat because we can back and all of my squash and corn sprouts are, like, a foot high. they need to get outside NOW.

but it's too hot to continue today so for now, watermelon, patty pan squash, artichokes, and tomatillos are outside.

and my spinach already started bolting :/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:11 am 

I ordered an electric tiller/cultivator online. I'm excited. It seemed the cheapest option for my backyard, I was really going to try the sheet composting, but getting ahold of that much compost and straw and stuff was too complicated for me. Anyways, $120 for 8 1/2 inch depth, and no gas needed... seemed pretty good to me. I can't wait for it to come!

Also, Isa, you planted a Lemon Verbeena last year right? Did it grow into, like, a tree/shrub and came back amazingly this year? Mine is blowing my mind. The branches are so woody, and over the winter I really thought it was dead, but it's really really not!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:10 pm 

I don't think I planted Lemon Verbeena. Did I? If I did, it didn't come back this year. What a jerk!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:29 pm 

IsaChandra wrote:
I don't think I planted Lemon Verbeena. Did I? If I did, it didn't come back this year. What a jerk!

I thought you said you planted a 'cookie herb' section or something, with lemon verbena and... Maybe lavender? I forget the other one. But there was something about cookies.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:12 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Mars wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:

I thought you said you planted a 'cookie herb' section or something, with lemon verbena and... Maybe lavender? I forget the other one. But there was something about cookies.

Lemon verbena is a tender perennial and won't overwinter outside in much of the U.S., including Portland in many winters.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:56 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Emperor and I have started a little garden! We have maybe 14x3 ft of soil in our back yard, but half of it is in shade most of the day so not so handy. We have Swiss chard in the dirt in the shady part and it's doing pretty well. We got our first trimmings worth on Saturday and it tasted so deliciously chardy.

In the sunny part, we are trying to grow some cilantro from seed. We tried transplanted basil and it was eaten pretty much instantly and entirely by snails.

We have some other stuff in the sun on the concrete part of our yard: a cherry tomato plant, a big tomato plant, dill, lemon thyme, and marigolds. I am kind of astounded by how fast the tomatoes are growing. I didn't install the tomato cage on thr big tomato plant when I transplanted it because the lowest ring broke off, and now I am worried I'm not going to get that sucker on there soon enough and the whole thing is going to topple over.

So far it has been a really fun experiment. Also: really cheap.

I took my inspiration from my landlords who are crazy good gardeners who let us eat their stuff when they have too much... Right now they have some amazing looking kale growing and I want to steal it so bad/hop in my time machine and plant some like last month.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:12 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Guys, the cats are at it again.
As much as I looooooove shovelling at least two piles of cat crepe out my garden everyday... (I don't have any cats).
I bought a grocery bag full of cayenne pepper and put it all in the garden so the whole garden was red/orange. They didn't care. shiitake on it anyways.
So once my zucchini/cucumbers/squash/melon plants were tall enough, I mulched (cats don't seem to like pooping on mulch). So they went in the back yard and started crapping in my big garden. And digging to bury their shiitake. And dug out a bunch of seeds.
Do you think if I start flinging the poop up on the neighbours deck they'll get the hint? Pretty well everyday I'm out there being really loud saying "GEE I SURE HATE SHOVELLING CAT shiitake SINCE I DON'T HAVE ANY CATS!!!!"
Or maybe I'll borrow my parents dog again and let him shiitake on their doorstep everyday?

On the bright side, these people are moving soon. Knowing my luck, the next people moving in will have 15 cats.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:26 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I can't remember who on here suggested it, but putting sticks in the garden keeps cats out. We ended up putting in chopsticks and haven't had to dig out any more cat poop since.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:12 am 

Mars wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:

Yes yes you're right! It didn't come back. Now I'm angry.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:04 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

IsaChandra wrote:
Mars wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:

Yes yes you're right! It didn't come back. Now I'm angry.

Verbeena rage... the worst kind of rage. It's so citrusy and pissy!

Last edited by DancesWithTofu on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reply to topic  [ 699 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 28  Next