| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:49 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

mattomic wrote:
I can't buy Rejuvelac here.. I can't even seem to find Rye berries to work with!

It apparently works with quinoa and other grains too. Might be easier to just sub probiotic powder though.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:13 am 
Naked Under Apron

I have probiotic powder (which I used for one of Judita Wignall's cashew cheeses) but I found it didn't mature enough for me (not very sharp). So I am making Rejuvelac from Kamut berries this time to try it properly and then compare to a version made with probiotic. If they're the same, then it's fine. If not, then I guess I need to get on the case and make Rejuvelac.

I have never seen it for sale in the UK.

Mat.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:17 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was just going to try it with quinoa. The directions for making it all seem kind of unclear to me though, so I'm sure I'll mess it up. Might as well do it with something that's already in the pantry!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:57 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I like this recipe: http://sproutpeople.org/recipes/drinks/rejuvelac.html

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:11 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

woooah, how did I not see this before? This book looks AMAZING. I looooved fancy cheeses in my pregan days, so I'm gonna be all over this.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:45 pm 
Nailed to the V

celyn wrote:

Oho doesn't look too hard to do at all!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I keep checking this thread convinced there's going to be some magic announcement that I don't have to wait until August. It's like a constant state of disappointment.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:46 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Miyoko chiming in here about why I use rejuvelac and not probiotic powders. The primary reason is that I don't want to tell my readers to go spend $20 on a little bottle of probiotics, or to buy a particular brand. Many probiotics aren't even vegan - they are grown in dairy. I also have had mixed results with them, which may have to do with how they are stored. Rejuvelac, on the other hand, can be made using almost any grain in any part of the world. All you need is some grain, some water, and a few days. I wanted my cheese book to be as universal as possible.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:22 pm 
Nailed to the V

and we thank you for that! :)
do you havea Rejuvelac recipe in the book, Miyoko?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:01 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Yes, there is a recipe for rejuvelac in the book, as well as on the internet.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:41 pm 
Inflexitarian

I can't tell you how excited I am about this! Can't wait to get this book!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:09 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Can't wait! I wouldn't mind trying it on lazy days.

Amy wrote:
Ohhkay, not trying to offend anyone who makes and sells vegan cheese. I was just wishing there were a widely available vegan cheese that is an alternative to like, Cracker Barrel. Which is not high-quality, I suppose, but it has a sharpness that Daiya and FYH lack. That's all! I was not saying Dr. Cow should be cheaper, just that I wish there could be something with that sharpness that any omni I know would buy. Because they are not going to order Dr. Cow off the internet, especially for that price.

If I had a food genie that could create anything I wanted to eat, one of my wishes would be for vegan Cheese Whiz.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:45 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Shy Mox wrote:
If I had a food genie that could create anything I wanted to eat, one of my wishes would be for vegan Cheese Whiz.

I like Jo Stepaniak's Gee Whiz Spread. The recipe can be found in The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook (and the original Uncheese Cookbook, now out of print). You could also try googling and see what comes up.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:58 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I don't have a recipe for Cheese Whiz, but there is a Sharp Cheddar that derives its sharpness from culturing, usually just a few days. But then it gets better as it ages -- it's best at around 4 months when the texture becomes firmer, too. Yes, you'll have to wait, but omnivores have told me they prefer it to regular cheddar. You can always make a big batch and just have it in your fridge ready to eat whenever. It's the real thing.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:52 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

miyokoschinner wrote:
I don't have a recipe for Cheese Whiz, but there is a Sharp Cheddar that derives its sharpness from culturing, usually just a few days. But then it gets better as it ages -- it's best at around 4 months when the texture becomes firmer, too. Yes, you'll have to wait, but omnivores have told me they prefer it to regular cheddar. You can always make a big batch and just have it in your fridge ready to eat whenever. It's the real thing.

i am SO excited for this book! I feel like all my cheese dreams are going to be answered.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

miyokoschinner wrote:

Can I just say it's not fair to have all of this info and then have to wait until August...It will be forever before we get awesome aged cheeses made. I'm still pretending I"m going to buy a Vita-mix (I'm not) so will my regular cheapo blender work for this book? If not I must figure something else out.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:18 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Yes, your regular cheapo blender will work but you have to soak the nuts longer, then just use less rejuvelac. Also, for the recipes that don't contain nuts, it'll be just fine (the cheeses that melt generally contain no nuts, or very few).

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

the more i think about this the more excited i get for this book!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Ahhhh! So excited! I'd preorder it, but I'll be moving in July and I'm not sure of my exact address even though I've put down an apartment deposit, since the building is still, well, a construction site... Haha.

To self: Don't have a brain fart and forget to order this ASAP.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:38 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I made the cashew mozzarella and I love it. Really nice light fermented taste. I think I'll use it to top a lasagna tonight.

I made my own rejuvelac by soaking and fermenting a 1/4 cup of quinoa in 2 cups of water.

I was a bit stubborn and used locust bean gum instead of xanthan because I didn't want to put in a special online order just to get it. I guess that's why the texture turned out a bit softer than I would have liked, but it's still really good.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:14 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Used some of my mozzarella in a lasagna. It did not really melt, but OMG, the flavor! We LOVED it.

This is the first time in the history of my vegan cooking that my partner said the 'cheeze' actually tastes like cheese. He is a true cheese maniac, and although he likes nooch as much as the next person, it just doesn't satisfy his craving for cheese. Maybe this will finally help him to let the dairy mozzarella go.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

wow. that makes me feel very very happy, Cornelie :)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:45 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Cornelie, indeed, the Buffalo Mozzarella posted on my blog (and Vegansaurus) does not really melt. HOWEVER, I do have a whole chapter on cheeses that DO melt, and of course, that includes another mozzarella! (There are other meltable cheeses as well, including cheddar, monterey jack, muenster, etc.) AND...I have a big cheese article coming up in the Sept/Oct issue of VegNews that has another mozzarella to boot (actually, I think this one that I recently developed is even an improvement to the one you just made). So the book has many options for different kind of cheese - my only criteria is that they be relatively credible.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:42 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

That's great Miyoko! We're already really happy with the way this one turned out, so an even better version must be truly awesome. I'm going to buy the book as soon as it becomes available here. I am really looking forward to veganizing some of our cheesy favorites.

Thank you for helping us to be vegan and eat great food!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:28 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I want this so much. I hope when I get it that I actually make some of the recipes, though. I'm a little scared of the time involved, but I do miss Dr. Cow and can't afford it. So.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 63  Next