| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Emaciated Dog Situation at Work
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:49 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

So today at work there was a Dalmatian tied outside (in the rain even though there are plenty of dog ties in a covered spot) and this dog was severely emaciated. You could see his organs and his hind legs were just skin and bones. When I saw him I was extremely upset and spent some time with him petting him etc as he seemed distraught being alone tied up outside. Eventually however I felt I had to get back to work. But I could hear him crying outside... it was hard. Then I went on lunch thinking I could ask some coworkers in the break room (where you could see him out the window) what they thought. When I went in they were talking about him actually, they knew the owner casually apparently. I asked if there was any chance they knew if the dog was just recently rescued or something? I tried to think positive... But they said no, this person (whom they did not speak of fondly) has had this dog for a long while. They said they told the owner the dog is too thin and needs to eat more.

Well that's the end of the story really. I didn't do anything about it because I had no idea what I could do. If I saw this dog in someone's yard, I would call the humane society and have them rescue him. But... he was just tied up in front of a store, I have no idea where he lives and had no way of getting that information without asking the owner.

What would you have done, and do you think I should do anything if I see this dog again in a similar situation?

Post subject: Re: Emaciated Dog Situation at Work
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:50 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I would have reported an abandoned dog to the humane society. Chances are they would pick him up, see his condition, and could handle it from there. Check the laws in your town too, because in mine it is illegal to tie a dog up in a public place for longer than 30 mins.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:46 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

You can definitely still call the humane society or police even if the dog is in front of a store. You would have better luck if there are animal cops in your area. If it is a fairly clear case of neglect, there is a basis for an investigation.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:42 pm 

The dog wasn't there super long. 30-45 minutes at the most.

I assumed calling in that situation wouldn't work because by the time they would get there there would be no dog...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:48 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Yeah, they won't take a dog that belongs to someone and if people there are saying it belongs to someone, everyone's hands are really tied at that point.

The only thing I can think of is if you ever get to speak to the owner, suggest that they surrender the dog to a shelter - but that's kind of a lot to ask of some people when they don't see a problem. You could also offer to pay for some food for it or bring some if you know where to find them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:37 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

I would offer the crasshole a lot of money for his dog, but that's because I'm relentless.

How often do you see the dog?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:30 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I know animal control differs in effectiveness from town to town, which sucks, but you never know how your local department is until you try. If we get in a call during operating hours, the aco goes right out. We can seize dogs if cruelty or neglect is suspected, and the investigation goes from there. We have seized starving dogs before. Every state has animal cruelty laws, and you can look them up on your state's website. Failure to provide sufficient food and water and is usually in there.

Definitely always call authorities when you see an animal in trouble. Call local animal control/police, and any humane societies or spcas you can find if ac is shitty in your area. You might have to keep calling and putting on pressure, as unfortunately many police departments don't see animal cases as high priority.

Perhaps if the dog is left tied outside again, a good samaritan might think the dog is abandoned and take him to a vet or rescue, where he could get the care he needs...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:57 am 
Bought a crop of bad girls

raspberrycomplaint wrote:

Perhaps if the dog is left tied outside again, a good samaritan might think the dog is abandoned and take him to a vet or rescue, where he could get the care he needs...

This

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:06 am 

thisheregiraffe wrote:
I would offer the crasshole a lot of money for his dog

Oh my if I didn't already have two dogs in a place too small for a Dalmatian I really would... I love Dalmatians so much...
thisheregiraffe wrote:
How often do you see the dog?

Initially, when I saw this dog (and made this thread) I had no idea I would ever see this dog again. However, I actually found out today that I will probably be seeing the owner of this dog often (however, probably won't be seeing the dog often). I'm trying to work up the courage to talk to the person about it. However I'm really nervous because I'm immensely in love with this job, and I worry that it will put me in an awkward position that way. I know that's no excuse, I will do it, just have to think of the best way to do it. I guess it seems like from this thread the best thing I could do is to call my local shelter and ask their suggestion.
raspberrycomplaint wrote:

Yes indeed perhaps. Unfortunately I doubt many people with a car will think of this, and I really doubt it would be possible to walk this dog onto a bus and do it all in the 30 minutes I have for lunch.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:31 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I was thisclose to taking a dog someone tied up outside a thrift store last month. They announced on the overhead PA system that there was a dog outside (also in the rain) and that the owner needed to pick it up immediately. Like 40 minutes went by as I shopped, and from what I had heard the owner had not claimed it, despite several announcements. I was going to go outside and put the dog in my car and leave, but when I got outside the man who owned it was JUST untying it. I gave him a piece of my mind. I don't understand people sometimes. I'm not sure if just taking the dog would have been a good thing to do. At that point, I just assumed the owner abandoned it (based on not going and taking the dog off the pole immediately), and I felt like that would have been the best option.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:33 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Mars wrote:
I actually found out today that I will probably be seeing the owner of this dog often (however, probably won't be seeing the dog often)..

in the meantime you could gather info- if he comes on a regular schedule then you might be able to call the humane society or AC folks and say you know a bit about when and where the owner can be found.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:37 am 
Saggy Butt

i would first call animal control. you never know until you try, and id call every time i saw the dog.
if that didnt work, i would be tempted to find a way to dognap it and either care for it myself or find it a better home, or contact a dalmation rescue.