| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Body Mod Jewelry Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:41 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Have you seen the limited edition Triceratops plugs from Omerica Organic? Want. So. Bad.

http://www.omericaorganic.com/plug-Triceratops.php

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:09 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

So, I am going to start the process of stretching my ears. I have no idea what size my holes are now since I've had my ears pierced since I was 3 months old. Question - if you were already pierced when you started the process did you go to a piercer to have them do your first stretch or did you just get a kit and do it yourself? I have no idea what gauge I am, so I'm not sure I would know how to start the process. (I can fit two standard earings in one hole but my holes still seem really tiny.)

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:16 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

MomMeTrois wrote:
So, I am going to start the process of stretching my ears. I have no idea what size my holes are now since I've had my ears pierced since I was 3 months old. Question - if you were already pierced when you started the process did you go to a piercer to have them do your first stretch or did you just get a kit and do it yourself? I have no idea what gauge I am, so I'm not sure I would know how to start the process. (I can fit two standard earings in one hole but my holes still seem really tiny.)

standard earings are 20 or 22 gauge. it doesn't sound like you know much about stretching. i would suggest you go to a piercing. they can fill you in on all you need to know. if you need suggestions of respectable shops in the bay area i can name a few.

The above has probably offended you. I have found it impossible to post to these forums without offending someone. I have preemptively said 25 hail seitans in the hope that I may appease the ppk gods and not be smote from these boards.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:06 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Aside from Jojo, who is lovely and competent, in general, having a piercer stretch your ears isn't a good idea. Everyone's ears are different, i've mentioned before that mine are pretty un-stretchy so tapers were almost worthless to me - I started taping as soon as it was possible. They could just jam a taper through your ear that's too big and hurt you, because they can't feel what you're feeling. And stretching should never EVER hurt, a slight discomfort is normal but it shouldn't make you wince or anything. Also maybe it's better now, but being a piercer doesn't mean they're properly trained in the safe, correct ways to stretch.

And funnily enough, that's why I made Brian let me taper his ears, because he is the kind to just jam that shiitake right through. I also taped his plugs for him. His ears stretched very easily and I kind of hate him for it.

Another thing is cost, they're going to charge you for jewelry and the process, and piercing studio jewelry is not cheap. Stretching your ears can be cheap and safe at the same time. If you've been wearing earrings for a long time and can fit two regular ones in there, you can probably get a 14g in there. When I started I bought 16 tapers and that turned out to be a waste of time. You can get this:

http://www.bodyartforms.com/productdeta ... 1&index=17

Which is pretty cheap, I used a few of those before I loved onto taping (where you wrap plumber's tape around your plugs to slowly increase the size, when you're really small it's such a pain to try and wrap a tiny plug that it's not worth it). You could probably just get the plugs in there sans taper, but $7 for the set is pretty cheap, and they have a variety of shipping rates, depending on if you have more money than time you want to wait:

http://www.bodyartforms.com/faqs.asp#howmuchshipping

You can order that set in a few sizes and that will keep you busy for a few months. When you're smaller you can wait less time between stretches, but the bigger the size the more of an increase in size difference there is. Which is another reason taping works out really well, you don't have to wait as long because you're stretching constantly yet gradually so you're doing less tissue damage.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:43 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

shortbus - I was considering Body Manipulations if I went the professional route. I've had piercings done there and been really happy with them, but am open to other suggestions. I don't know much about stretching other than what I've read on the internet, which is why I'm apprehensive about buying something without having some type of firm starting place (though I do feel like I have somewhat of a decent grasp on the process, healing, best types of plugs to use/avoid).

mrsbadmouth - Thank you for the words of encouragement and the link!

My wee blog:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:34 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

MomMeTrois wrote:

Like MBM, I used tapers (tiny ones!) and then moved on to taping, which is a way better way to do things. I bought my first tapers years ago in Thailand, so I don't have a link, but they'll be easy to find at a reputable piercing shop or online.

Your other concern may be lopsidedness of your current piercings- that's pretty common for people who had them done at a young age, especially if they weren't professionally done. Mine were done by a hairdresser with a piercing gun when I was about 6, and while they looked fine as standard piercings, they're more noticeably lopsided now that they're stretched. It's not enough to bother me too much (no one seems to notice except for me), but if that's the case for you and it does bother you then scalpelling is always an option to correct it if/when you reach larger sizes.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:18 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Erinnerung wrote:
Like MBM, I used tapers (tiny ones!) and then moved on to taping, which is a way better way to do things. I bought my first tapers years ago in Thailand, so I don't have a link, but they'll be easy to find at a reputable piercing shop or online.

Your other concern may be lopsidedness of your current piercings- that's pretty common for people who had them done at a young age, especially if they weren't professionally done. Mine were done by a hairdresser with a piercing gun when I was about 6, and while they looked fine as standard piercings, they're more noticeably lopsided now that they're stretched. It's not enough to bother me too much (no one seems to notice except for me), but if that's the case for you and it does bother you then scalpelling is always an option to correct it if/when you reach larger sizes.

Thank you!

My wee blog:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:34 am 
WRETCHED

I thought standard earrings were about 18g? I started with 16g at a piercer and it didn't seem that much different than a standard earring size. If someone has had earrings for a long time then the chances are that their holes are bigger than the original piercing (unless they are super non stretchy?). I bought tapers from body art forms. You could also buy some inexpensive earrings from them. When I went from 16g to 14g, I just put in the 14g earring and it went right in. I then used a 12g taper to test me getting down to 12g. The first time I put it in, it burned about half way so I let it go for a month. After that, I tried to put it in again and there was a slight burn at the end of the taper but otherwise it was smooth sailing.

I'm not sure how far I'm going, I'm guessing I'm stopping at 10g or 8g. I have the tapers for both.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:15 am 

linanil wrote:
I thought standard earrings were about 18g? I started with 16g at a piercer and it didn't seem that much different than a standard earring size. If someone has had earrings for a long time then the chances are that their holes are bigger than the original piercing (unless they are super non stretchy?). I bought tapers from body art forms. You could also buy some inexpensive earrings from them. When I went from 16g to 14g, I just put in the 14g earring and it went right in. I then used a 12g taper to test me getting down to 12g. The first time I put it in, it burned about half way so I let it go for a month. After that, I tried to put it in again and there was a slight burn at the end of the taper but otherwise it was smooth sailing.

I'm not sure how far I'm going, I'm guessing I'm stopping at 10g or 8g. I have the tapers for both.

Most regular earrings are 20-22, Like fishhook earrings are 22. My nose screws are all 18 and they look huge in comparison to dangly earrings.

And I forgot about getting your ears repierced: i'm going to assume your mom didn't take you to a piercer as a baby so you have gunned holes. You can go to a piercer and have them pierce around your original holes at a bigger size (not a dermal punch as that actually removes flesh that you need to stretch with), you can start a little larger (I think we had Brian's pierced at 10g) and you have to wait for the ears to heal before you can stretch, but stretching properly pierced ears is easier than ones that were gunned. Also, if your holes are uneven they can correct the placement. I had my ears gunned twice, and the first time was really crooked so the second time I asked for her to note that and not just repierce through the original hole, so when I stretched I was mildly worried that the first hole would thin out and eventually tear because they were so close. But that never happened

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:22 am 
WRETCHED

Yeah, my gunned holes were closed and the piercer definitely said they were crooked. He created new holes for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:02 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I was three months and don't know if it was with a gun or a needle. I only know my doctor did it and my ears have never closed since then. Ever. I don't want to get them repierced. I've decided just to go to the piercer and see what they say. I'm going tomorrow and I'm excited. I'll come back and let you know what they say about size and ear-hole placement.

My wee blog:

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:10 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

So, I went to the piercing shop and had my ears stretched. My ears were already a 14g (they measured me first), so I got 12g. It's a little stingy, but not painful. It was not expensive - cost of jewelry only and I got very basic hoops with a captive bead since I won't be wearing them for long. I am so happy (and still a little stingy).

My wee blog:

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:51 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Sarah-Jane wrote:
Have you seen the limited edition Triceratops plugs from Omerica Organic? Want. So. Bad.

http://www.omericaorganic.com/plug-Triceratops.php

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!11

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:02 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

MomMeTrois wrote:
So, I went to the piercing shop and had my ears stretched. My ears were already a 14g (they measured me first), so I got 12g. It's a little stingy, but not painful. It was not expensive - cost of jewelry only and I got very basic hoops with a captive bead since I won't be wearing them for long. I am so happy (and still a little stingy).

Yeah, I mostly went to a piercing shop to stretch. I taped until about 10 gauge maybe, but after that, it's always been at a shop. I'm very happy with it, whenever I've gone they've said how glad they were I go to them rather than people who do it themselves that risk... well I forget what they called it but basically what Mrsbadmouth was saying that you rush by not doing it yourself. So it's funny. I think the real answer is you're risking the badness if you have someone (yourself or a bad peircer) doing it wrong if they don't really know what they are doing. Mrsbadmouth seems to know what she's doing, but really I would not trust myself. And yeah. for me, there's pain-ish, but pain in more if a 'that feels al hot and stingy' way, not at all like a 'getting pierced' way.

Also funnily enough, I'm often not charged anything when I get stretched at a piercer's. I bring in my own jewelry and explain how I'm wanting to get stretched from x size to x size, and they (at different multiple shops in different cities even) will often say "well we charge X (usually $5-15) amount for a stretch, but since you have your own jewelry I'll just do it for ya no cost". I tip always though, especially if they do it free. But anyhow. Funny. To me.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:01 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I went from 9/16 to 5/8 last night! I'd ordered new earrings online and they just popped right in. The benefits of waiting like a year between stretches!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:02 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

So since it's body mod thread, I think this is a good place to ask.
I've had my lip pierced for a year and a half. I took the ring out the first time I became unemployed to make it easier to find a job, got to put it back in a couple months later, had to take it out again.
Now I have an empty hole in my lip and my new job doesn't mind if I have a piercing. I want to put it back in again, but I haven't the faintest idea how to get it in. I've only ever managed to put a ring in it once, and I have no idea how I managed that. When I put it back in over the holidays, I had it done by a piercer. I'd rather not waste the money, especially since I already own a perfectly good piece of jewelry.

What's the trick?! Or am I doomed to visit a piercer and pay them ten to fifteen bucks just to put a piece of metal through a hole in my face?

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:12 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

do you have an insertion taper?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:42 pm 

Yes, either a taper, or have a piercer insert it. Was the money you paid a tip or a fee? Because the few times i've had a piercer change my jewelry, they say they'll do it for free (both times I went to the person who had done the piercing so maybe that matters), and I gave them a $5 tip.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:11 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Hmm, that's what I was afraid of. No, it was an actual charge for inserting the jewelry, and of course I tipped, as well. Oh well! It was worth asking.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:08 pm 

Okay, in that case i'd just buy a taper. It's good to have one around just for reasons like these, it'll cost less than the piercer, and obviously you can use it more than once.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:28 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Guys, can you give me more info about aftercare for my industrial? I got it on Saturday and I've asked questions online already, usually getting mixed answers, so from what I got I decided to do just cleanse with saline solution, and soak for a few minutes in a shallow bowl of saline...not sure if that is unnecessary or not. I haven't been twisting it either. It doesn't hurt, maybe a teeny bit of discomfort, barely noticeable, and it's still fairly red and swollen. Sound alright?
By the way this was my first piercing (besides the usual lobes) and I love it so much.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:51 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

teddyplanet wrote:
Guys, can you give me more info about aftercare for my industrial? I got it on Saturday and I've asked questions online already, usually getting mixed answers, so from what I got I decided to do just cleanse with saline solution, and soak for a few minutes in a shallow bowl of saline...not sure if that is unnecessary or not. I haven't been twisting it either. It doesn't hurt, maybe a teeny bit of discomfort, barely noticeable, and it's still fairly red and swollen. Sound alright?
By the way this was my first piercing (besides the usual lobes) and I love it so much.

aftercare

The above has probably offended you. I have found it impossible to post to these forums without offending someone. I have preemptively said 25 hail seitans in the hope that I may appease the ppk gods and not be smote from these boards.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:14 pm 
WELFARIST!

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in another place so if it shouldn't be here, sorry!

Has anyone had any problems with a brand called Metal Mafia before? I bought this barbell by them for my navel and at first, things were fine. Then yesterday I noticed that the area around the bottom of the piercing was red and painful. I looked at the jewelry and it had major discoloration, something I've never had on any of my jewelry before. I immediately took it out and replaced it with one of my old barbells and have been washing it with antiseptic wash since. I don't think I've ever had anything like this happen to me before and I've had this piercing for 7 years! I'm currently looking for replacements on Body Art Forums but now I'm kind of nervous to buy new jewelry for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:33 pm 
WRETCHED

it is less than 2 months since I went to 12g from 14g but my earrings have been feeling loose so after a shower yesterday, I decided to try 10g. My left ear went in fairly well with no pressure or pain. My right ear stung slightly. My stretching journey is nearly over though. I like this size but will probably stop at 8g.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:11 pm 

Everyone says that pretty much! Very few people start out saying 'I want half inch+ ears'. But yeah, at smaller sizes the healing time is a lot faster because the difference between sizes is so small, like .2 mm. The difference between 2g and 0g is almost a full 2mm so that's usually the toughest.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next