| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fino's Pizza, Mt. Airy
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:16 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I think I posted on here a while ago about Fino's Pizza in Mt. Airy having vegan pizza. There was even a story in City Paper about it a few years ago (http://www.citypaper.net/blogs/mealticket/finos_pizza_delivers_serious_vegan_cred_to_mount_airy.html).

Well, I got a pizza from there the other day and noticed that they've significantly expanded their vegetarian/vegan menu! I don't know if the mayo and cheese mentioned are vegan. The pizzas don't have cheese so it seems weird that they'd have vegan cheese for sandwiches but not pizzas. But still, there's some good sounding stuff on here. Hawaiian pizza!

Post subject: Re: Fino's Pizza, Mt. Airy
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh shiitake, they have gluten free crust. This is awesome!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:30 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

A couple friends and I went to Fino's for dinner tonight. I got the eggplant parmigiana sandwich with vegan cheese. I would not recommend this. First of all, it was obviously frozen eggplant because it was brr-cold inside. It was so breaded, that it felt like a bread sandwich. Also, the cheese freaked me out. It was very melty and stretchy and I've never seen that in a vegan cheese. I think that weird thing happened where, once you convince yourself something isn't vegan, nothing can fix it. The roll was nice and fresh, though.

One of my friends got the chicken parmigiana sandwich and said he really liked it. Another friend got the Mango&Pineapple Salad. They were out of mango and it was not served with garlic bread. Also, just a warning that the pineapple is canned. I guess this is to be expected at a pizza place, but yeah.

We also got a #4 vegan pizza. Ten minutes after ordering, we were asked if we wanted mozzarella or vegan cheese. First of all, cheese is mentioned nowhere on the menu. This question weirded me out a little because we had specified vegan while ordering every item, inquired about the vegan-ness of things, and they have a vegan menu!!! We were obviously a bunch of vegans. The pizza looked nice, the cheese melted beautifully and was greasy and even browned. I've never seen greasy, brown, stretchy vegan cheese. My friend thinks it was Teese. I haven't had Teese in a while. I took one bite and couldn't take another. The cheese was just so stretchy, it was freaking me out. At this point, I'm not convinced that their cheese is vegan. It is possible that I'm being crazy. Does anyone have the inside scoop?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:38 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

buttercup wrote:
A couple friends and I went to Fino's for dinner tonight. I got the eggplant parmigiana sandwich with vegan cheese. I would not recommend this. First of all, it was obviously frozen eggplant because it was brr-cold inside. It was so breaded, that it felt like a bread sandwich. Also, the cheese freaked me out. It was very melty and stretchy and I've never seen that in a vegan cheese. I think that weird thing happened where, once you convince yourself something isn't vegan, nothing can fix it. The roll was nice and fresh, though.

One of my friends got the chicken parmigiana sandwich and said he really liked it. Another friend got the Mango&Pineapple Salad. They were out of mango and it was not served with garlic bread. Also, just a warning that the pineapple is canned. I guess this is to be expected at a pizza place, but yeah.

We also got a #4 vegan pizza. Ten minutes after ordering, we were asked if we wanted mozzarella or vegan cheese. First of all, cheese is mentioned nowhere on the menu. This question weirded me out a little because we had specified vegan while ordering every item, inquired about the vegan-ness of things, and they have a vegan menu!!! We were obviously a bunch of vegans. The pizza looked nice, the cheese melted beautifully and was greasy and even browned. I've never seen greasy, brown, stretchy vegan cheese. My friend thinks it was Teese. I haven't had Teese in a while. I took one bite and couldn't take another. The cheese was just so stretchy, it was freaking me out. At this point, I'm not convinced that their cheese is vegan. It is possible that I'm being crazy. Does anyone have the inside scoop?

I've had that happen at places that claimed to be vegan cheese. it's totally not vegan. teese liquifies like follow your heart and i think we all know what daiya is like. it's tough when a restaurant claims to be vegan.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh wow, this is annoying. Every time Ive had teese on anything and its supposed to be melted, it never really is. It normally just stays in block shape and is warm. I think you would be able to tell if Teese was on the pizza. Daiya is gooey on pizza but never stretchy!

Sounds like maybe the wait staff isnt trained very well about their vegan menu and what it means.

Would you consider calling and telling a manager or owner? Maybe they dont realize things are being done wrong in the kitchen?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:03 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I don't think it's the waitstaff, it just sounds like an ignorant place, making false claims to veganism. You guys are too nice. That cheese description honestly sounds something like soya-kaas... which I can see how people would think something labeled as "soy cheese" might automatically mean vegan.

A couple years ago when I used to work in the western burbs, I stopped at this pizza place also claiming to have a vegan menu. I ordered a personal pizza and after a slice or two, my tummy started gurgling and I got so sick that I had to go home. Eff that...i'll stick to blackbird, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Eh, not going to go call them because I'm not interested in going again. Just wanted to warn people. If anyone does go, I recommend that you request no cheese or ask for the brand of their "vegan cheese."

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:17 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Oh, bummer. I've only ever had the pizzas without cheese.

According to that City Paper article:
Quote:
Fino's owner Robert Moezi is a longtime Northwest Philadelphian and has been vegan for 26 years. When asked about the vegan options on his menu, he says "At first, I did it just for me! But then I wanted to introduce this food to other people and show them that eating healthy is not expensive."

I'll ask about what cheese they're using next time I go there.

Too bad about the icky frozen eggplant though!