| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Waffle Maker
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:40 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting a waffle maker. Anyone got any recommendations for a good one to buy? Preferably not too expensive. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Waffle Maker
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've been thinking about getting one too. Breakfasts could be so much more exciting and I really want to try the recipes from Vegan Brunch since they've been taughting me for so long!

Recs appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:38 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

If we're talking not too expensive.. I got mine from LIDL. And it's worked perfectly well for me.
LIDL is quite good for nifty little finds, however, as we all know, its subject to availability at the time.
I'd definitely go there check about every now and again for one (unless you're in a rush for waffles!)

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:31 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I have a couple of waffle irons (I bought one and then got all waffle obsessed and wanted different types). The first is a stove top cast iron one which I got from amazon, which needed seasoning and is a bit of a pain. The other is a Swedish/Scandinavian style one, it makes relatively thin heart shaped waffles, it came from clas ohlson.

http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=164089813

It's nothing fancy, no adjustable heat or anything, but it works fine for me. But the only review it has on the above site is negative so maybe you don't want to take a risk with that one. But like I said, it works for me and it was relatively cheap- I previously had a £50 CuisinArt one give up after a couple of uses.

What I'd really like is a proper belgian one that makes thick waffles with really deep indents like this but I can't find any that don't cost hundreds.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:13 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Thanks guys. I'll check Lidl out. The longer I leave it the better really as I'm sure I'll go waffle mad which won't help the fitness regime!
I really want to try out Isa's Vegan Brunch waffles though.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:34 am 
Saggy Butt

I have the Cuisinart one (presumably the same as eryn mentioned above) and it works great for me. I bought it off amazon for a pretty good price if I recall, I think under £50 as it was on offer. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cuisinart-WAF4B ... B000H7BYEC It doesn't seem to be available at the mo though. The waffles are pretty giant though so I can only eat one at once.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:00 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Help me out. I have a stove top waffle iron (from Amazon, I'm guessing the same as Erin) and every time I use it I turn into kitchen nightmare, usually ending in foul worded rants at waffles and vows never to make them again.

I have seasoned it. I oil it before every waffle. I follow the recipe to the T. I've tried cooking them hot and fast, and long and slow.

Why do my waffles still stick?! What can I do?

To get them to not stick, they need to be burnt enough that they resemble bricks, and can therefore be peeled off the iron in one piece.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:30 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I gave up on trying to get anything vaguely edible from a stove top iron. I had all the same problems as you, Rachwins. I can't even be bothered trying again cause I know it's just going to be a waste of ingredients. That's why I want an electric waffle iron!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:31 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I found that the spray oil you can get worked much better than my attempts to grease it with kitchen roll and oil. I use one called fry light sunflower oil spray, it smells horrible but a few sprays of that for the first waffle and the rest don't even need spraying. Also, I don't know how experienced you are with seasoning cast iron, but my waffle iron was the first thing I'd ever seasoned and following the instructions supplied with the iron gave me a rubbish, patchy layer of seasoning. And one final tip, if you've only been trying the same recipe in it maybe try a few others? I've found some recipes just don't work in it. Unfortunately in my experience non-vegan ones tend to come out more reliably, I'm still hunting for a foolproof vegan recipe. I've often wondered if yeasty ones with a firm dough might work better than batter-y types.

But yeah, it is a total pain in the arse and even though I managed to get decent waffles out of it eventually (and I felt so happy when I did) I much prefer to use my electric iron now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:43 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I might try seasoning again. I've tried a few different recipes sadly. Last week I bought a spray oil as that's what VB suggests, in prep for my final attempt before I stick it on freecycle!