| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Betty Goes Vegan
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:02 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I wish I could search inside this book! Has anyone heard anything about this cookbook?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1455509337/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk?smid=156421&tag=hydfbook0e-20&ascsubtag=US-DS-19711-156421

My tumblr

Post subject: Re: Betty Goes Vegan
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:31 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

No but I want it. That Betty on the cover looks like she cooks a mean lentil loaf.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:35 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I am really excited about this one! I was obsessed with my grandma's Betty Crocker cookbook when I was little, so I hope it's full of old fashionedly styled food photos.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:37 pm 
Saggy Butt

Meet the Shannons is the authors' blog.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:53 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

2013? They're killing me.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:56 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

If the few dishes on her blog from the book are any indication it looks quite heavy on the fake meats. I do-na like the fake meats. :(

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:19 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Tzippy wrote:
Meet the Shannons is the authors' blog.

hmmm ... interesting!

My tumblr

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:02 pm 
Saggy Butt

I love the blog, and can't wait for the book.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I also love the blog, mainly for the enthusiasm and creativity, though I rarely use the actual recipes as the ones I come across are so dependent on analogs. I don't mind the occasional prepackaged ingredient, but want those recipes to be the exception rather than the rule. I'm still excited for the cookbook, even if I don't wind up buying it because I think it's a neat idea.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:41 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i've heard about this too. i think it's a neat idea. at the bottom of this page are links to all the recipes.... i wonder if this page will still be available after the book is published?

http://www.meettheshannons.net/p/betty- ... oject.html

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:08 pm 
Huffs Nooch

their blog is hilarious and there are tons of already veganized betty recipes on the website. i have the book on my amazon wish list, but as others have mentioned, i doubt i'll buy it due to all the processed vegan products. i'm also not the biggest fan of traditional american/european food, which is what it seems most of betty's recipes are. i think this would be a fabulous cookbook for a new vegan, for vegetarians transitioning to veganism, for vegans in a cooking rut or who are missing animal foods, or for omnivores looking to cut back on animal products.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

agreed, i have yet to eat any processed fake meat vegan foods and i've been vegan now for about 6 or 7 weeks. i do love me some tofutti cream cheese though!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:24 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I saw this, got excited, and then looked at the blog. It seems like another one of those cookbooks where fake X gets swapped for meat/dairy X. Meh.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:34 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I love the idea behind their. I might get it to keep at my mom's or something since she wants to cook for us, but is never sure about what to make/how to make things vegan.

I have all my mom's old Betty Crocker cookbooks, they were the first books I cooked from, so I'm actually really curious to at least look through this one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:25 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

annak wrote:
I saw this, got excited, and then looked at the blog. It seems like another one of those cookbooks where fake X gets swapped for meat/dairy X. Meh.

And she doesn't seem to give any options (but I skimmed, so I might be wrong). I looked at a cheezecake recipe that called for about five containers of vegan cream cheeze. My natural food store just got Tofutti recently and one container costs almost five bucks. There's no way I'm spending twenty-five dollars to make a cheezecake. Personally, I'd rather get the original Betty Crocker cookbook and veganize the recipes myself.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vgnwitch wrote:
annak wrote:

And she doesn't seem to give any options (but I skimmed, so I might be wrong). I looked at a cheezecake recipe that called for about five containers of vegan cream cheeze. My natural food store just got Tofutti recently and one container costs almost five bucks. There's no way I'm spending twenty-five dollars to make a cheezecake. Personally, I'd rather get the original Betty Crocker cookbook and veganize the recipes myself.

Agreed, even at the cheaper price I pay for tofutti cream cheese, I couldn't afford to make that cheezecke recipe either!

I *think* I pay $3.69 for a tub of tofutti cream cheese at Earth Fare but I think I've seen it for the same price at Kroger and Publix. You may be surprised to find tofutti elsewhere for cheaper though. My Earth Fare sells small 8oz cups of WholeSoy yogurt for $1.69 (!!) in a variety of flavors, yet I saw the same item at Kroger for only $1.09 (!!!) (granted Kroger only had 2 flavors though). It's a better deal for me to buy the giant (24oz? 32oz?) tub of WholeSoy yogurt though for I *think* $3.69 at Earth Fare.

But tofutti is the one processed fake-dairy item I allow myself to indulge in. I don't buy any fake processed meat stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:32 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

annak wrote:

I think this is very intentional. I remember reading somewhere that part of the blog's purpose is to bring attention to some of the great vegan meat alternatives out there. I also remember reading that it's not necessarily how the authors eat on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:53 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I'm not really opposed to cooking this way, I do it sometimes myself, I guess I just don't understand how they're adding value.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:16 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I think the book is for people looking for familiar foods that are vegan. I found at least one of the places where they talk about this:

Quote:
It's also about helping people use all these great vegan products out there to their full potential. I mean yes a lot of us are DIY types but most people in our society choose their food based on convenience, cost and flavor. I've been doing vegan outreach for over 20 years now and I keep hearing the same reasons why people were reluctant to go vegan : giving up their favorite dishes, weird food and inconvenient. The reasons I keep hearing why people stopped being vegan : giving up their favorite dishes, weird food and inconvenient. That's why Betty Goes Vegan is carefully designed to not just help people go vegan but stay vegan by turning old meaty and cheesy favorites into vegan classics.

http://www.meettheshannons.net/2012/07/ ... inner.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:30 am 
rowdily playing checkers

Please let it be Betty White. Please let it be Betty White.

::reads the thread::

::throws laptop at wall::

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:52 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm resurrecting the thread because Amazon recommended the book for me. I am disappointed by the use of analogues.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:32 pm 
Semen Strong

The Tuscan Lemon Bundt recipe is the best bundt cake ever. I'll buy the book just for that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i think a handful of recipes are featured in the new jan/feb issue of vegetarian times

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

I emailed Annie Shannon because for me, it's not so much oh, fake meat stuff, (I figure just make seitan and whatever) but it was like how much is dependent on it,because Canada isn't really bountiful with the fauxness. She was really sweet, and told me that while about 1/2ish the book had analogs, it could be very swappable with tempeh/tofu or nothing (and ditto with the cheese), and a lot of sections don't use it at all. but they just wanted to have literal Betty Crocker cookbook out there with vegan-stuff (which at the end of the day makes a lot of sense. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:50 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

I pre ordered it weeks ago!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next