| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Thai Idea
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:50 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Okay, so when do people want to hit this? Mike and I are generally free on Thursdays or Tuesdays, but not this Thursday.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:01 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

jordanpattern wrote:
Okay, so when do people want to hit this? Mike and I are generally free on Thursdays or Tuesdays, but not this Thursday.

I am also generally free Tu/Thur, though also not this Thursday.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:46 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

FYI, The wing bombs can be bought at Richmond New May Wah on Clement! They were $3.69 a pack. I bought a few and made them tandori style tonight. They are identical to Thai Idea's. They are on the canned goods/sauces side of the store on the fridge wall, towards the back with all the other vegan wheat meats.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:12 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

We are going here for my birthday dinner with my friends who are mostly omni. I am so stoked!!

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:14 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yikes. We just had a really awful borderline inedible meal here. Greasy, bland, and the app we got was so deep fried it was painful to chew. Will not be coming back.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yeah, I'm done with that place.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

That's too bad, I was disappointed with the massaman curry I had there last time I went and haven't gone back. I went to the popular omni Thai place around the block from Thai Idea last Sat (Lers Ros) and it was really good -- the have a dedicated vegetarian section on the menu -- most authentic Thai I've had in the city.

Best Thai restaurant I've been to is in Palo Alto hands down awesome, can't remember the name though.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:28 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Neecha Thai in Oakland (near our place!) has a dedicated veggie menu as well, and it's better and cheaper than Thai Idea. :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:41 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Damn, that is disappointing! I have been wanting to try it for ages. Oh well - better to save my money, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:45 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Two weeks ago we went to the one in SF and had a spectacular meal. Amazing fresh spring rolls and peanut sauce. I had green curry, bf had massaman curry and we both loved it. Just today we had lunch at the one in Foster City and enjoyed it as well. More awesome fresh spring rolls, we got Tom Kha and Tom Yum soups. Argued over which was better, so full of tofu and veg! They don't skimp on the good stuff. I had Pad Kee Mow with beef and very much loved it. Man had Volcanic Beef and it wasn't fantastic but was above average. I'll definitely go back and have no problems recommending it to friends.

I wonder what Thai places in Palo Alto are good? I've been to 3 and they all sucked. I want to try Indochine, I hope that's the good one!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:38 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yeah, we had the exact opposite experience at the one in SF. First, they sat us at a crappy table (in the middle area where I didn't have a seat back, just a weird triangular prism cushion I shared with the dude seated behind me) even though the restaurant was nearly empty when we arrived. Granted, we could have said something, but when another couple requested to change tables, their waiter actually told them no, he can't do that, because it would be busy later..?!

Then we paid $9 for what was essentially a small sushi roll stuffed with quinoa and then deep fried whole to a painful crisp (the dragon ball, which I remember being different/better the first time we came).

Then maygles had the pad thai which was woefully short on veggies and fake meat, virtually spiceless and super greasy. My pad khee mao was the same. I requested veg chicken, they gave me veg beef and just the tiniest amount of it. Both were so greasy and bland we couldn't/didn't want to finish them and maygles had a stomach ache on the ride home. We had been planning on going to fraiche after for dessert but weren't in the mood after that.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:35 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Alin wrote:
I wonder what Thai places in Palo Alto are good? I've been to 3 and they all sucked. I want to try Indochine, I hope that's the good one!

Yeah, I'm curious too. I've only been to Bankok Cuisine and the massaman curry was ok but the Pad Thai was not good.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:53 am 
Saggy Butt

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rice-thai-cuisine-palo-alto-2

This is the place I like in Palo Alto.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:14 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

@Maygles - my BF lives near Neecha Thai too! (maybe you're neighbors?)
We've been trying different Thai places in the neighborhood, but haven't tried Neecha yet. I'll put that on the list for next time. What are your favorite dishes there?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:29 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

jengomonas wrote:
We've been trying different Thai places in the neighborhood, but haven't tried Neecha yet. I'll put that on the list for next time. What are your favorite dishes there?

Last time we had the grapefruit-herb salad (which was so fresh and delicious), and I think I had the Kang Faktong which is good. I also like the Param Tofu. And I love that they offer quinoa which I get in place of rice.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:50 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Well, we went for my birthday (a month ago) and I thought it was pretty good. Not everything was good though, but I think more to personal taste. I didn't like the chickenwing things. I also didn't like the duck confit. (I took home most of it and didn't eat any of the leftovers.)

I loved the panang curry and those fried sushi rolls (which were crispy but not over-fried). The Thai fried rice was tasty, and the basil chicken was really good. The Pad Thai was also good, but I think it's really hard to screw up Pad Thai. My omni friends who went with me liked it as well.

Sounds like they're inconsistent. I will probably go back though but it's not necessarily going to be my go to Thai place.

My wee blog:

http://www.mommethree.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:33 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

jengomonas wrote:

I almost always get the pad thai. :) I also like their veggie satay appetizer and the praram tofu.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2