| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Swedish Glace - ripping us off?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The last 4 times I've bought Swedish Glace (over the past couple of months), it seemed like there was less in the tub, though the tub size remained the same. Not only does it look like it isn't filled as high, it also isn't even touching all sides of the tub. I bought some today and could actually shake it in the tub (it had been out of the freezer no more than 10 minutes).

Has anyone else noticed this? Are they ripping us off, or is there an explanation for this?

Post subject: Re: Swedish Glace - ripping us off?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I was thinking about buying some today, so maybe I will do so in the interest of science.

Also in the interest of science: whether Swedish Glace makes good coke floats.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:43 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Gulliver wrote:

I want to try a float but I'm scared! Just can't wrap my head around it.
Also kinda scared of forking out loads of money for rattley ice cream.

Whilst on the subject of being ripped off... YOU SEEN THE BOOJA BOOJA ICE CREAM PRICES RECENTLY?! fork ME..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

For once, I'm kinda glad I'm allergic to cashews, because I can't even imagine the amount of money I've saved not being able to buy Booja Booja ice cream. I understand why they cost so much, but it's ridiculous all the same.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:38 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I haven't noticed that (they sell the same stuff under a different name here, but in the same black containers). Booja Booja just tastes like cashews and fructose from the agave and the texture is wrong. Too watery when it melts, since they don't thicken it with anything. I'm basing this on the chocolate flavour.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:23 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

VanillaDoe wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

I want to try a float but I'm scared! Just can't wrap my head around it.
Also kinda scared of forking out loads of money for rattley ice cream.

the last time we made these they worked just fine. coke floats are something everyone should
embrace. fight the fear!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:35 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Chipmunk wrote:
I haven't noticed that (they sell the same stuff under a different name here, but in the same black containers). Booja Booja just tastes like cashews and fructose from the agave and the texture is wrong. Too watery when it melts, since they don't thicken it with anything. I'm basing this on the chocolate flavour.

i haven't had Booja Booja ice cream in years, but i remember really loving the maple pecan. the other flavors... meh.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:50 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Nah, it's probably bad transportation or something. Swedish glace melts so quickly, it's easy to get a tub where the content has "deflated" because the grocery store wasn't quick enough when moving it from freezer to freezer. I've had this problem in both Sweden and England.
Booja is great at chocolate but rather bad at ice cream. Their ice dream are nice desserts, but they don't feel or taste like ice cream. Another good brand (not sure if it's available here in the UK though) is Lovice! Their liquirice ice cream is amazing! Still has the same quick melting problems as swedish glace though, if not worse.
As far as coke floats: they're the worst thing I've ever tasted! I even hated it as a kid, how can you drink such a thing?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:42 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

i never got into coke floats. root beer, on the other hand...

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:29 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Not noticed a swedish glace volume issue - we get though at least a tub a week.

Just bought a sodastream for the very purpose of root beer floats :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

Love Swedish Glace...Their Neapolitan with this Chocolate Fudge Sauce http://gourmetcaravan.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... -ice.html= Amazing :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:18 am 
Ninja Master

It's shiitake. Also it's scary that it can sit out overnight and not change shape! What the hell is in that stuff?

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:15 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Swedish Glace makes an awesome coke float. I used to work at Pogo where we had whole earth cola and vanilla
Swedish Glace, so obviously I indulged once in a while, and put them on the specials menu sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:50 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I agree with VirreVojj, most likely the air disappearing out of it as it melts when the shops don't keep it cool enough.

I used to hate the stuff. We get through a box a week now, and my ice cream maker sits crying lonely in the corner.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:27 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I just found out that Unilever bought the company who make Swedish Glacé. For me, buying a vegan product made by a non vegan company sends signals to that company that people want vegan stuff, and is also no different from buying a vegan product from Superdrug, an apple from Sainsbury's, or a tub of Pure or an Alpro product (both owned by dairy companies).

I don't want to start a debate on this because I know everyone draws lines in different places, but I know that there are many people here who don't buy Uniliver and I thought they would like to know.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:54 pm 

Ingman Glass also sells lactose free dairy ice cream (which is right next to the soy stuff in the freezers here) and has ties to Arla, so they've been connected to the dairy industry all along. I think that Swedish Glace, Alpro, etc. being widely available does make cutting out dairy less "out there" to some extent. People know these products exist and have some idea of what they can feed me for dessert.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:54 am 
Ninja Master

Oh really! Feckin unilever!! I try not to buy stuff from them, but maybe I slip up occasionally as it's hard to keep track of who they own. Luckily I think swedish glace mings so I'm not that bothered about not buying that anymore.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:40 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

baps wrote:
Luckily I think swedish glace mings so I'm not that bothered about not buying that anymore.

This! As long as nobody buys out Booja Booja I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:47 pm 

Chipmunk wrote:
Ingman Glass also sells lactose free dairy ice cream (which is right next to the soy stuff in the freezers here) and has ties to Arla, so they've been connected to the dairy industry all along. I think that Swedish Glace, Alpro, etc. being widely available does make cutting out dairy less "out there" to some extent. People know these products exist and have some idea of what they can feed me for dessert.

Ingman is one of the largest dairy companies in Finland. I have a vague recollection of Ingman buying Tofuline from someone, Carlshamn Mejeri (another dairy, who sells loads of vegan alternatives) I think? This was long ago, though. There was a whole circus of Scandinavian food companies buying each other (and getting bought by Kraft/Unilever etc) so I'm not sure who owns who anymore! Does the chocolate icecream still suck? I'm still mad that they discontinued the mocha flavour, that one was my favourite. Also, I agree that Lovice is great. I like the licorice and nougat ones. Too bad they're only available in the one supermarket I can't get to...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:22 pm 

I don't particularly like chocolate ice cream (I'd rather have it as a sorbet), but it sucked the last time I had it. That may well have been over five years ago though. I liked the caramel and mocha ones before they got rid of them. I thought the nougat Lovice tasted kind of beany when I tried it and they didn't have the licorice when I checked. The only place I've been able to find it at all is Citygross, which is located in an industrial park, so I don't really go there now that I don't have to keep dropping by Bauhaus anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:31 pm 

Lovice is more for change of flavours than great quality icecream. I haven't had it in years. You can buy vegan licorice sauce at ICA. Licorice icecream is just vanilla with licorice sauce anyway. The caramel version Tofuline was never available in Sweden as far as I saw (Oatly has a caramel icecream that's still availble). I've had it once or twice in Finland, though. It was nice. My problem with all of them is that they are so overly sweet. My favourite sorbet is Sia Kaktus Citron.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:58 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

gah, caramel and mocha vegan ice creams that have been discontinued? that's so cruel.

i may have to come to Sweden for some of this licorice sauce.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:08 pm 

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
gah, caramel and mocha vegan ice creams that have been discontinued? that's so cruel.

They have also discontinued pear and raspberry. Possibly something else I'm forgetting. We did get blueberry as a new flavour with the revamp, but many others disappeared. Can you tell I've been eating vegan icecream for AGES? The funny thing is I almost never buy anything other than vanilla, or the occasional sorbet, these days. But chocolate pudding cake with mocha icecream? Yeah, I miss that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:36 am 

Yep, I've mixed licorice sauce from ICA with vanilla ice cream! That's pretty much the only kind I get, other than the occasional caramel Oatly. I saw chocolate and banana about a year ago, but once I actually moved to Sweden it was gone. There's still a Tofuline (i.e. Swedish Glace) caramel ice cream cone, but I've only seen it in one Coop Extra branch. I've never seen the Kaktus sorbet. I'm usually not a fan of sorbets from the store because they tend to be overly sugary.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've never been keen on Swedish Glace's chocolate ice cream, but I really like their raspberry. I've never tried the blueberry - I keep wanting to, but it's only ever sold in my local hfs or Holland & Barrett, and therefore ridiculously expensive compared to the vanilla from Tesco/Sainsbury's.

I was super sad when they discontinued the mocha, mostly because the last place I was able to get it was at a restaurant - they'd clearly been thawing and refreezing, so it ended up being full of ice crystals, and that was Mike's introduction to vegan ice cream! I felt awful. (Luckily it ended up not being an issue.)