| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pie In The Sky
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:37 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

was it completely cool? did you make any changes to the ingredients? maybe it just wasn't baked for long enough?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have that problem with basically every strawberry pie recipe I have ever made in my life. It does help to refrigerate it for at least eight hours before you serve.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:47 am 
ugh

I didn't change any ingredients, but I only cooled it for the 30 mins the recipe recommended. It was a lot better after it had been in the fridge for the while, though the crust was a bit soggy. Still delicious though so I'm not complaining.

Today I made the buttery double crust (in preparation for the basil peach pie I'm making tomorrow) and it "came together" even before I added any ice water. I guess I overworked the dough? Hopefully I'll still be able to roll it out and it will taste alright.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:23 pm 
ugh

I put the crust in the fridge overnight, and it was a kind of a pain to work with, but it came out great. The basil peach pie is delicious and it was a big hit at the charity bake sale my office was having. It was gone in about 15 minutes (and there weren't very many people there)!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

made the key lime pie sunday night and the 4 omnis who ate it LOVED it.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:02 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Key lime pie! I bought the book today!
After previously having tried the key lime pie from a veggie cafe.You know what? I didnt even have to guess, I KNEW it would be Isa's recipe... this was later confirmed when I went in the following day and saw the owner holding VPITS ;) .
Made it myself as soon as I could. It turned out perfect! considering I used agar flakes, in which it is advised against, but you gotta work with what you got so... improvised. used about 7 teaspoons of flakes instead. Was petrified it would either not set at all or set too much and become too much like jelly. But no it came out perfectly soft and creamy! Yay!

I'd never had key lime pie before trying it the other day, I've been missing out!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:06 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

b.vicious wrote:
I didn't change any ingredients, but I only cooled it for the 30 mins the recipe recommended. It was a lot better after it had been in the fridge for the while, though the crust was a bit soggy. Still delicious though so I'm not complaining.

Today I made the buttery double crust (in preparation for the basil peach pie I'm making tomorrow) and it "came together" even before I added any ice water. I guess I overworked the dough? Hopefully I'll still be able to roll it out and it will taste alright.

sometimes that just happens due to humidity or some other factor. i think most pie crust recipes tell you to add a tablespoon of water at a time to make sure you don't add too much.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:51 am 

Update: Had one slice of pie yesterday late last night for myself. Looked into the fridge today... half the pie is gone!!
I think I've got student flatmates' approval on that one!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:59 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oooh, not surprising it's gone. Very dangerous putting pie in a shared fridge! I made blueberry bliss cheesecake again today.
Gorgeous.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:17 pm 

Chickpea wrote:
Oooh, not surprising it's gone. Very dangerous putting pie in a shared fridge! I made blueberry bliss cheesecake again today.
Gorgeous.

Too right! not making that mistake again! There was only one slice left for me... wasnt even the biggest slice!
Cheeky swines! I made the goddamn pie! :P

Oooh im glad the blueberry bliss cheesecake is as good as it looks! I'm going to make it for my boyfriend when he comes to visit me next week. I'll have to put barbed-wire around it or something to keep any unwanted hands off it...
last time I made him a pie for valentines day, I had to hand it to him with a slice missing... (THANKS MUM)

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:47 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made the peach and the blackberry and they both released so much liquid that it was spilling out of the pie pan, and it's a standard size Pyrex. Are you supposed to add all the liquid from the filling mix or drain the fruit? Should I get a giant pie pan?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:30 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Made the peanut butter brownie cheesecake. I don't think I let the brownie part cool enough, as a small part exploded up into the cheesecake layer, but I'm sure it'll still taste awesome.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:58 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have decided that if I get the job I'm interviewing for next week I am buying this book! Hmm, or maybe I should get the book if I don't get the job instead because nothing heals a broken heart better than a pie. Eh, either way, I'm buying it next week!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:03 pm 

veggiepalooza wrote:
I have decided that if I get the job I'm interviewing for next week I am buying this book! Hmm, or maybe I should get the book if I don't get the job instead because nothing heals a broken heart better than a pie. Eh, either way, I'm buying it next week!

Sounds like a good plan!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:05 pm 

VanillaDoe wrote:
Chickpea wrote:
Gorgeous.

Too right! not making that mistake again! There was only one slice left for me... wasnt even the biggest slice!
Cheeky swines! I made the goddamn pie! :P

Oooh im glad the blueberry bliss cheesecake is as good as it looks! I'm going to make it for my boyfriend when he comes to visit me next week. I'll have to put barbed-wire around it or something to keep any unwanted hands off it...
last time I made him a pie for valentines day, I had to hand it to him with a slice missing... (THANKS MUM)

The best thing was I got blueberries reduced to 10p a punnet!!!!

Hope the BF manages to see the whole pie this time!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:27 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

i was totally going to make a pie today (i've only made one - a cheesecake - last tgiving!) but i'm out of key ingredients for all the recipes. alas.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:29 pm 

Made the blueberry bliss cheesecake today! The BF is arriving tomorow so hopefully it'll survive the night and he'll have a WHOLE cheesecake, I already had to say to my flatmate that i made it, before I could even finish she was like "we'll Im not in the mood for it now, I'll have some later"
Me: "but I made it for my BF!"
her: "Oh I just assume anything you make is for me"
:P
I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies which I have left out on the side,so hopefully that'll divert them before they find the cheesecake.
It think it'll work because I myself have eaten seven today and I haven't touched the cheesecake.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've been making a pie a week from this book for a couple weeks (as part of a pushing daisies+pie series I'm doing) and they have been killing it with the folks I feed them to. there is a lot of pie love happening, someone who I have met once came up to me at a concert the other day and was like "oh hey, you're the pie lady right?"
so yes, the point is, there pies are baller.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:15 am 
Tofu Pup

I have made the chocolate pudding pie and it was really rich and yummeh!

I want to try the chocolate galaxy banana cheesecake next but i searched for coconut oil everywhere but i couldn't find it :/
Is there any other kind of oil i could use to replace coconut oil - that won't compromise the flavour?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:44 am 

The blueberry cheesecake was nice, not like I thought it would be but good.
Kind of remnded me of a smoothie in taste, because I could taste banana and coconut oil.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:48 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

booberthefraggle wrote:
I've been making a pie a week from this book for a couple weeks (as part of a pushing daisies+pie series I'm doing) and they have been killing it with the folks I feed them to. there is a lot of pie love happening, someone who I have met once came up to me at a concert the other day and was like "oh hey, you're the pie lady right?"
so yes, the point is, there pies are baller.

Well, if I was even once calle the pie lady, I would be happy.

I just made the key lime pie and the chocolate raspberry tart, since it's my birthday tomorrow! I really hope the lime one will set properly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:15 pm 

pannkakan wrote:

I just made the key lime pie and the chocolate raspberry tart, since it's my birthday tomorrow! I really hope the lime one will set properly.

Happy Birthday and happy pie eatings for tomorow!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:04 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I tried the lime one for breakfast, and it was... good? The crust was nice and the taste of the filling as well, but the texture was a bit unfamiliar. I think it set as it's supposed to, it wasn't gummy at all. But I was a bit weird, I would have liked it more "creamy" or "fat".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:58 pm 

I made the very berry cobbler but used rhubarb and apple as I got lots reduced. It was lovely.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:44 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

This book is going to make me regain all the weight I lost. I've tried apple pie, the maple blueberry pie, the appleberry pie and today I took the Grasshopper Pie along to my playgroup, pics on my blog if anyone is interested in seeing what happens when you put a little too much liquid... *cough*

http://ruskindays.wordpress.com/2012/06 ... n-the-sky/

(let me know if posting links like this is poor form)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next