| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Icibahn Eggplant Tips?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:22 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've never grown any kind of eggplant before. Yesterday I bought a tray of 6 ichiban japanese eggplants. Has anyone grown these before? What can you tell me about them?

Like, are there any particular bugs I need to worry about? I saw something about aphids online. Also a big question - do they need a cage or some type of support?

Is powdery mildew a problem like with squash?

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Icibahn Eggplant Tips?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't have anything constructive to say, but I grew them in pots on my balcony and had lots of yummy eggplants. My conclusion is that they are hard to fork up. Pick them before they get too big or they get seedy and woody.

You will probably need a small stake once they get bigger.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:23 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

i have had bug issues every time i have grown them, whatever it is has eaten the leaves when they are young, neem oil has controlled it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:02 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

when i worked at the farm/homestead thing, bosslady put reflective silver plastic mulch under the eggplants to repel a certain type of bug that feasts on them. (she did this with the peppers as well, but the tomatoes got the black like the other plants. that was mostly to reduce soil splashback/disease transmission.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah. It didn't even take the bugs 1 night to find them. I planted 3 yesterday, and 2 are still ok but this evening I noticed #3 now looks like this:

The left & bottom leaf were perfectly whole yesterday, and the top right has a bite out of it too.

I don't have any neem oil or silver mulch handy. Anything else that I might have lying around that you think might work? (like maybe tinfoil or something?)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:36 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just went outside and sprinkled my eggplants with chili powder haha. I read some people say cayenne pepper works, but I couldn't find any in the cabinet. I also read garlic spray is another home remedy, so since chili powder has pepper and garlic in it, I figured what the heck.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yeah, i think tinfoil would work just fine. just fold the center bit so it doesn't scratch the stem up (and then introduce fungal infections)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Well they survived another night. Hooray! Amazingly, even after rain today most of the chili powder was still on them.

I put some tinfoil collars around them too. Hope this works!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:28 pm 
Tofu Pup

My eggplant experience is limited to growing them in zone 4 - so I'm not sure how helpful sharing my experiences will be. We don't have many bug or disease issues here, but we do have the challenge of a very short growing season. I've never successfully grown big eggplant varieties, but I've had good production from some of the smaller ones (Japanese and Thai varieties) by starting them from seed indoors in February. I enjoy a good garden challenge, so I make a point of trying to grow things the rules say we shouldn't be able to easily grow here (like eggplant)... fingers crossed that this will be the year I finally grow a watermelon!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:24 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I am the crazy eggplant lady, but I'm in zone 8b, with a looooong growing season. So all I can say is that yes, they are pretty hard to fork up, they love heat and full sun, the Ichiban variety don't get too tall, you probably won't have to stake them unless you're in a windy area, and they'll keep putting out eggplants until the first frost. I feed mine with alfalfa pellets and liquid seaweed. If you leave the fruit on the plant too long they'll turn yellow, and smell gross. After that, the next round of fruit turns yellow faster and faster. So keep up with harvests!

You can see my eggplant-scapades at my blog here: http://austinvegangardener.blogspot.com/

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]