| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: BLW and Playing with Foods
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:23 pm 
Semen Strong

Nice going Malka and GPiglet! Leela loves edamame hummus. We weren't feeding her fast enough so she was squeaking and reaching her feet and hands as far out as she could towards the hummus, until her body formed a sideways U. Hilarious!

We still don't have transitional poop despite a month of BLW, which I gather means that she is BFing more than eating. I don't know whether to be concerned or grateful. Any advice?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:27 pm 
Inflexitarian

Yeah the most we got as far as transitional poop is carrot scented poop and what we call "celery juice poop" when she was teething and going through 2 stalks in a sitting.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:42 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Emperor really didn't eat a significant quantity of solids (we're talking 3-4 bites a day, and not every day) til he was about 13-14 months old. I remember because he started getting into food in earnest during that year's vegan mofo. We started offering him food around 4 months, it's not like he didn't have opportunities. You never know what kinda kid you're going to get.

The Magician just had his first taste of food yesterday... Two tiny bites of ripe avocado. He actually swallowed them, with this attitude like oh yeah I do this every day. Today I let him lick a piece of nectarine... Then had to fight to get it back from him. (Too big for him to just swallow, too small for him to really hold onto... I didn't want him to choke.) TOTALLY different experience than we had with E at this age.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:53 pm 
Semen Strong

C&S, when did he start to get the transitional poops? After he started eating a lot of solids? ::hopes::

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:44 pm 
Married to the wolfman

No, he got transitional poops like almost as soon as he ate ANY! It sounds like Leela already eats more.

I have to admit, my memory of transitional poop accounts for almost all my hesitation in giving M solids.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:33 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Transitional poops were immediate for us as well. Leela's intestines are a lot more considerate, I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:22 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Miles's transitional poops were immediate also.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:24 pm 
Inflexitarian

Ok...maybe I need a refresher on what transitional poop is like. Gpiglet suddenly decided food was delicious yesterday morning had a bunch of soy yogurt, cucumbers, and carrots. She's pooped 4 times since then and everything seems the sme. She stained the liner of one of her diapers but other than that things seem the same.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:34 pm 
Semen Strong

Same here. Leela ate a bunch of Os and raspberries for breakfast and still nothing. All the same yellow, vanilla smelling goop.

We had what I thought was transitional poop once, and it was basically peanut butter. I haven't eaten a PB&J since

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:03 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yum.

I don't think babynut is ready yet. We tried for the first time tonight and she didn't seem to get that she was supposed to put the food in her mouth. It was the first time that she DIDN'T put whatever was in front of her into her mouth. She didn't have trouble picking up the chunks and throwing them on the floor. I hear that is important to BLW so at least we got that right. I realize that we need to eat at the table together more. My place is so small that we rarely sit together at the table, but she obviously needs more time watching people eat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:08 pm 
Inflexitarian

Gpiglet always seems to eat the most when we're sitting on the floor eating together. She had her marathon eating session when we were both sitting on my bed being lazy and, on a whim, I just gave her some of what I was eating and she was game. Then on the plane heading back home she grabbed for some cucumber while she was sitting in mylap and went to town. She ate the carrots while sitting on my lap as well. When she's separate from me and in the high chair she eats much less but seems just as curious.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

So I sometimes give grey the packets of purrees food, the happy baby or plum organics. Anyway, he has started feeding them to himself! So now I really don't have to feed him anything, he does it all himself! Pretty great!

Transitional poops: we have them. They are sometimes mushy and sometimes harder like a tootsie roll. The harder ones are awesome cause they roll right into the toilet.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:04 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

GuineaPig wrote:
Ok...maybe I need a refresher on what transitional poop is like. Gpiglet suddenly decided food was delicious yesterday morning had a bunch of soy yogurt, cucumbers, and carrots. She's pooped 4 times since then and everything seems the sme. She stained the liner of one of her diapers but other than that things seem the same.

Go up thread where I was talking about sticky peanut butter poop that smells like a paper factory. You'll know when you get transitional poop. You can't miss it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:12 pm 
Inflexitarian

Ok, I guess this means we have semi-transitional poop. The overall texture is thicker but not peanut butter and it just smells like whatever she's eaten that day. There's way too much of it to be contained by a liner I guess we stil have a while to go before it's truly transitional

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:53 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Our transitional poop was super sticky and chunky. Not liquid enough to just rinse out, not solid enough to shake off. And so smelly.

Tonight the Magician gnawed on a celery stick and later a cucumber ring. He didn't get any bits off but he seemed to have a good time.

We never ate at the table when the Emperor was a baby... Our kitchen was really horribly laid out so we always just ate on the couch. He survived! Though maybe that's part of why he was so slow to get into solids? I don't know, I ate at tables other places with him all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:21 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but it is possible for a breastfed/BLW baby to be iron deficient, my friend's baby was on the low end of normal at 9 months and then the high end of low at 12. Her next test was normal but I think in addition to making real effort to get iron-rich foods into her daughter, she also started supplementing to take the worries off. Though it's not like there was ever any actual *danger*, she had plenty of warning, just..yeah, keep getting those tests! It's not always trivial to get iron into a veggie diet, and people respond differently.

I've been trying to make an effort to vary Vi's diet a little more after spending way too much time reading the archives of this blog: http://itsnotaboutnutrition.squarespace.com It's tough being in hotels while we're transient, but I feel like I fell into a squeeze fruit and cereal o's rut with her. Those squeeze things cause less mess but they all contain fruit (why? why can't there just be brocolli, or veggies and grains, or something?) and I don't want to rely too heavily on purees.

So last night we had diced cherries and vi snacked on a bit of romaine and nondairy ranch from our dinner salads, this morning diced strawberries, then Vi grabbed an apple off the desk and started chewing on it so i cut her up some of that, then for lunch she had some of my sauteed fiddlehead ferns and a couple bites of Candle Cafe frozen mac & cheese (that one isn't a nutritional powerhouse or anything, but I don't mind her trying it). I like the idea of offering a fruit or vegetable with every snack and meal - I think it's a good habit to force me to keep lots on hand and go for that myself instead of relying on junk food.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:44 pm 
Married to the wolfman

It is definitely good to get tested... it is a tiny heel stick (or finger? I'm blanking on this) and they get the results back instantly in the doctor's office. If you do well baby visits, there's really no reason not to. We had the Emperor tested at 9 months and then again at 12 and 15. (He was always fine.)

The Magician ate like two baby spoonfuls (so maybe a teaspoon total?) of oatmeal (just oats and water) this morning. It's crazy to watch, he is SO much more interested in actually consuming food than E was at this age. He swallows, he goes back for more, he grabs at the spoon... he doesn't just push the food out with his tongue. Crazypants.

With E, I try really hard to give him a grain, protein, and veg or fruit option at every meal. Breakfast pretty much never plays out this way since M was born because my husband gets up before I do and feeds E toast with nooch. But we've got a pretty good hit ratio for snack/lunch/dinner. Honestly, I thought fruits and veg were absolutely the easiest thing to feed him for the longest time... no way does a carrot or an apple make more of a mess than freaking crackers. (I hate cleaning up after children eating crackers. Crackers are my nemesis.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just had a doctor's appointment for Carlos yesterday (4 months) and she said he can start on fortified iron rice cereal. I said I didn't want to do that yet and should he take iron? She said yes, they start to deplete iron stores around 4 months. So we are going to start him on an iron supplement. I imagine with BLW, they aren't getting much iron to start, so it's probably a good idea.

Anyway, I think I have decided against BLW in favor of purees.The choking possibility makes me too nervous. It's fun to see the pictures though! Babies stuffing broccoli in their faces is very cute and funny.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:29 pm 
Inflexitarian

Actually the pediatrician is misinformed, at no time does the baby's iron stores deplete. At 6 months a baby's iron needs increase which is why iron rich foods are encouraged once the baby has passed the proper feeding milestones. Unfortunately pediatricians, like all doctors, are given little and usually none nutrition education and the little they do have is often outdated. I always find it funny that pediatricians will call on the AAP guidelines for vaccinations and medicine dosage but not for nutrition. The AAP guidelines do not endorse introducing solids before 6 months.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:30 pm 
Inflexitarian

On a separate note - ladies and gentlemen, the moment we've all been waiting for...transitional poop!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

GuineaPig wrote:
Actually the pediatrician is misinformed, at no time does the baby's iron stores deplete. At 6 months a baby's iron needs increase which is why iron rich foods are encouraged once the baby has passed the proper feeding milestones. Unfortunately pediatricians, like all doctors, are given little and usually no nutrition education and the little they do have is often outdated. I always find it funny that pediatricians will call on the AAP guidelines for vaccinations and medicine dosage but not for nutrition. The AAP guidelines do not endorse introducing solids before 6 months.

+1.

It is weird how pediatricians pick and choose when to rely on AAP, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised because OBs (and midwives) do the same thing with ACOG recommendations. Also, the variety of truly stupid things my midwives said to me about food over nine months really boggled the mind. It is truly shocking how little healthcare people know about how to eat well.

Our peds recommended a liquid multivitamin/mineral+fluoride at 6 months. At the time, we declined (we took the script, never filled it), primarily because I felt like it didn't make sense to feed my child fortified formula + a multivitamin, if the expectation was for her intake of food (formula+solids) to increase and we make her formula with tap water (not fluoridated, but containing some natural fluoride according to the water company). I didn't understand why I would approach supplementation differently with the baby than I do with myself - I try to supplement with things I specifically know I'm missing from my diet/lifestyle, rather than generally supplementing everything when I don't really need it and potentially causing more harm than good.

Now, though, it looks like she really isn't eating that much and her formula intake is definitely decreasing, so I think I might need to revisit the iron question either by being more deliberate about iron-rich foods or supplementing. (We will also possibly rethink the fluoride question, but I'm still not that keen on a multivitamin at this point.)

So, any specific advice for iron-rich foods that are BLW friendly? We already do iron-fortified O's, which she is just getting the hang of, maybe she's eating 1/8-1/4 cup a day of those.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:48 pm 
Semen Strong

Ariann wrote:
So, any specific advice for iron-rich foods that are BLW friendly? We already do iron-fortified O's, which she is just getting the hang of, maybe she's eating 1/8-1/4 cup a day of those.

Annak suggested kik alicha and other lentil dishes. I've been making those, and Leela really likes them. Especially kik alicha.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:00 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Actually, she's not a pediatrician nor a doctor, she is a PA in a family practice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:42 pm 
Inflexitarian

Some good iron rich foods for BLW are baked or roasted potatoes, beans and lentils (gpiglet loves homemade refried beans and i remember tofulish saying that Leela loves hummus), Sweet potatoes, peas, Tofu, cooked tomato products. The other day instead of making chickpea cakes I made little baked chickpea strips so they were easier for gpiglet to pick up and it worked out great.

You could always go the easy route and dust cubes of tofu with iron fortified cereal, or sprinkle it over cooked veggies or fruits.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:49 pm 
Semen Strong

GP, that is an amazing idea. I never even thought to dust cereal over veggies and fruit, but that would be so easy - just add some into sweet potato and you have a hefty dose of iron that your kid will love.

Also, please please please tell me you are writing a book on how to feed vegan babies. I'd buy it in a heart beat

Last edited by Tofulish on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next