| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quick and Easy BLW friendly recipes?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:31 pm 
Semen Strong

I am having a hard time finding quick and easy recipes for foods that are BLW friendly, and would appreciate any suggestions. So really, anything that can be eaten with fingers or a spoon, is low in salt and sugars, and can be prepared in a minimum of time, but that also tastes good to me. Leela wants to share my food, and I don't want to have to eat boring food.

I made cauliflower soup (from AFR - with extra cauliflower to make it super chunky) with toast fingers and it was good but a bit too salty for her.
Roasted veggies go over well, and I add a bit of esme's sauce for the flavor.

Post subject: Re: Quick and Easy BLW friendly recipes?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:18 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Hummus with carrot/zucchini sticks or as a sandwich

The coconut curry recipe from my site which you've made before is easy and you can use a mild curry. I'd put some of the veggies in a colander and let some of the curry drip back into the pot so it's not AS messy.

Chickpea Cutlets from Veganomicon are great if you are doing gluten. I made a double recipe as nuggets and always have some leftovers in the fridge.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:21 pm 
Semen Strong

JENNA, I know you give Miles rice milk. When did you start? And is there a reason not to give almond milk? I've read that it isn't really a nut, so there isn't the same allergen risk, and even that has been debunked and nuts are mostly not given because of the choking risk.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:14 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Tofu, this might help you - it's my friend's blog with some recipes she uses with her daughter. They're O-L veg, but it's mostly pretty close to vegan. linky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:46 pm 
Semen Strong

VegNews had this too: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=4494&catId=2 Some useful ways to get superfoods into your children's diets.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:12 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Miles has almond milk sometimes. I switched to Rice because it seemed to have more vitiamins/fortified better then the almond milk we were using. He was also getting a little rashy in the diaper area and I thought it was from the almond milk. It wasn't. :) He ate an almond butter curry last night with no rash afterwards at all!

He's been drinking it for about 2-3 months now. I would just give him one sippy of it a day. Sometimes I'd skip. Now I give it to him when I'll be leaving him for a few hours instead of pumped breast milk and he does great with it. I am so done pumping.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:23 pm 
Semen Strong

Thank you! I couldn't find any info re why not to give them almond milk, just not to replace breastmilk with it, and Leela loves it in her oatmeal. I so hear you in being done pumping. I used to feel so bitter when I'd mix breast milk with rice cereal and she didn't want to eat any of it - a full ounce going to waste.

That almond butter curry sounds really good. Is it going to be on your blog?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:43 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We need some ideas too. I feel like I am not sure if some of the stuff I am eating are safe for him texture and size wise.
Have any of you looked at the BLW cookbook? Not sure how vegan friendly it is but it just came into the library for me and I have it on hold. Going to go pick it up tomorrow hopefully. If anything I am hoping it gives me some ideas of types of stuff to give him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:54 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh could you please post some ideas here?

I completely hear you on the choking concern. Leela came close to choking on a surprise raisin in our bread today, and it was pretty scary.

Oh, I have been mixing quinoa, nooch and oil so it can be rolled into Leela fist-sized balls that she can grab and nom on. Its a savory and protein filled part of breakfast and gives her some extra B-12. I read that you're not supposed to give them more than 1 tsp a day because you could end up giving them too much B-vitamins and I wonder whether that is really true. http://www.vegfamily.com/brenda-davis/tip2.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:13 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have the BLW Cookbook. It has a lot of meat stuff in it, but you could use substitutions. I don't know how good it is, I haven't used it and probably won't. You can have it if you want.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:34 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

kimba wrote:
I have the BLW Cookbook. It has a lot of meat stuff in it, but you could use substitutions. I don't know how good it is, I haven't used it and probably won't. You can have it if you want.

I wondered about this, because the book is heavy on "sucking the juice out of meat." Veg or not, that doesn't sound appetizing to me!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:16 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:
That almond butter curry sounds really good. Is it going to be on your blog?

Yes it will be! Reno even liked it. I used a mild curry that I got at the Montclair Farmers Market which made it more kid friendly.

I made an arugula pesto the other night w. miso and almonds and Miles went nuts over it. 1 pound of pasta is officially not enough for the 4 of us anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:31 am 
Semen Strong

Arugula pesto sounds fabulous!

I think I just need to make more from your blog! Mmmmmm. I wish Leela's energy could be directed towards making seitan instead of eating cat hair.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:04 pm 
Semen Strong

Leela really liked the Chickpea Gravy over quinoa and broccoli. I smushed the chickpeas so that they were not a choking hazard, and steamed the broc so it was smushable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:52 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

wolverine had a pretty easy time eating tempeh helper from AFR. He has a bit of a difficulty eating soy so he was gassy after.