| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [Montana] Where to eat in Billings area
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:25 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Hey Montana folks. We are going to be heading to your fine state this week. We will be staying in the Billings area for half of our trip. We are going to stay at Chico Hot Springs for a couple of nights. We also plan on visiting Yellowstone a couple of days. I know there is a great grocery store in Billings, but was wondering if there are some awesome vegan friendly eateries along our path?

Kim Cooks Veg 4U Blog (new blog)

Post subject: Re: [Montana] Where to eat in Billings area
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:36 pm 
Tofu Pup

I’ve been lurking around here for awhile, but as a Montanan, I felt compelled to reply to this! Even though there are a lot of great vegan friendly places in Montana, I don’t know of many along that route. There are plenty of good grocery stores though, so packing a cooler with your own foods would be a good idea. I’ve spent time in that area, but I don’t live there, so there may also be other places I don’t know about. There’s a Compassionate Cooks podcast episode about Colleen’s visit to Yellowstone that might be a good resource for information too.

For grocery stores, the Good Earth Market in Billings and the Bozeman Co-op are both awesome. I think there’s also a natural foods store in Livingston, but I haven’t been there myself. Most of the regular grocery stores will probably have a good selection of produce and some basic vegan staple items. Bozeman is also the home of "We Can't Say It's Cheese", so it's available in a lot of grocery stores around this area - if you can't get it in your area, it's worth trying out. The Hickory Spread with crackers is a great snack!

In Livingston, the 2nd Street Bistro serves gourmet pizza (and other things) with a focus on local foods. They’re only open for dinner and it’s a good idea to make a reservation there, so you could mention that you’re interested in a vegan meal when you call, just to make sure they’re ready to serve you something delicious.

If you end up travelling down to Red Lodge, Café Regis is awesome for breakfast and lunch. They make a point of saying they’re happy to accommodate special dietary needs and they have several vegan options on their menu.

Chico Hot Springs is a wonderful place to stay – the Paradise Valley is beautiful! Soaking in the hot springs is great too - they've got a poolside bar with live music a few nights a week which is really fun! Unfortunately, Chico's menus are pretty heavy on steaks and that sort of thing – so definitely call ahead and see what they can prepare for you. I’ve gotten “off the menu” meals there before - but it may depend on how busy they are and that sort of thing.

In Yellowstone, you’ll find some basic vegan options (veggie sandwiches and snacks), but this is where having a well stocked cooler would come in handy. Yellowstone (especially this time of year before the crowds arrive) is an incredible place – so enjoy! If you’re travelling in from Gardiner like it sounds like you’ll be doing, stopping for a swim in the Boiling River is really fun! Welcome to Montana and I hope you have a great trip!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:53 pm 
Tofu Pup

There's also a vegan potluck group in Livingston (google "Live and Let Livingston" to find them). It looks like there's a Bozeman potluck on June 9th and a Livingston potluck on June 10th - so if the timing works out, maybe you could meet up with them. Or you could also try contacting them to see if they have any recommendations for the area.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:41 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Hey bigsky. I just saw your post. We had a wonderful time. We did find lots of veggie options and even had a kitchen in one of our cabins which made me crazy happy. Yellowstone was so beautiful. When I have some time, I will post some pics. It was awesome! I love Good Earth. They have great selection and such nice people working there. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Kim Cooks Veg 4U Blog (new blog)