| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What is it like for veggies where you live?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:39 am 
Level 7 Vegan

greenknittinggal wrote:
I haven't found Clive's Pies yet just lusted after them on their website..

oh, i love Clive's Pies! even though my partner makes fun of me for not making my own food.
are they only available in shops in the south west?

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:58 am 
Not NOT A Furry

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
oh, i love Clive's Pies! even though my partner makes fun of me for not making my own food.
are they only available in shops in the south west?

nah, i've seen em in plenty of health food places around the north west/manchester too. the vegan food co-op down the road from me, unicorn, sells them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:36 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

You can even get Clive's Pies here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:11 pm 
Saggy Butt

Oxford is rubbish.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:16 am 
Impressive boner

Annies Burger Shack has re-opened at The Navigation Inn (by Notts Forest football ground). It's a bus ride out of town but worth it if you want some nice, greasy food.

I've been going to Kayal on Broad Street recently. Their masala dosa is amazing, as is their vegetable korma.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:18 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

We have an "Annie's Burger Shack" in Oxford now, too. I'm not sure if it works 100% the same, but when it says that you can order a vegan version of any of the burgers, do they have vegan cheeses/bacon/mayo etc. or do you have to have the burger minus all those things?

Down here, it's inside a pub and I was asking the barmaid about the fajita burger and she had to keep running upstairs to ask the chef, and all I really managed to discover was that the guacamole has cream in it (sad face made from punctuation) and then she said the kitchen was closing for lunch anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:05 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Disappearing Ink wrote:
We have an "Annie's Burger Shack" in Oxford now................... and then she said the kitchen was closing for lunch anyway.

Well I can't see a food business that closes for mealtimes lasting long, regardless of its vegan credentials!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

8ball will know better, but when I was at the Annie's in Nottingham, they had vegan cheese and mayo, and the only things they couldn't do vegan versions of (iirc) were the chicken burgers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:17 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

DI..I had to Google about the Oxford one. How funny not to have heard of it before. I walk past there all the time, particularly going to the market. Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I have any luck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:20 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

oxford guys, check out mission burrito! we just got one here and there are two in oxford. tasty burritos with lots of vegan options!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:04 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

ludditelassUK wrote:
Disappearing Ink wrote:
We have an "Annie's Burger Shack" in Oxford now................... and then she said the kitchen was closing for lunch anyway.

Well I can't see a food business that closes for mealtimes lasting long, regardless of its vegan credentials!

Gah. That was a complete brain fail. What I meant to say was that is was closing for the time between lunch and dinner. I guess it was about 3.

Rachell - Thanks :) I will grill them on this further, but I hope that they have that stuff down here, too.

refinnej - I think they only started the burger shack bit within the last few months. I saw an ad for it while I was getting vegan milkshake at the milkshake shop and have been meaning to go (and actually eat) ever since.

Also, I LOVE The Mission!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:29 pm 
Saggy Butt

Yes, the Mission is great. Excited about this burger place..sounds interesting. I'm away for a year so hoping when I get back next summer Ox is going to be the new Brighton :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:26 am 

Can anyone fill me in on opening times for the Nottingham burger shack and what's on the menu please?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:14 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

rachell37 wrote:
Edinburgh is great for shopping but kinda crepe for restaurants. We have Real Foods, which carries so much great stuff - including, at this time of year, canned pumpkin. And we have loads of the larger big box stores, which is great for getting different types of fruit and veg and some of the "free from" stuff (like those caramels at Sainsbury's - can't remember who makes them). But our choices for eating out are pretty limited. We don't have a single vegan restaurant, and a lot of the vegetarian ones aren't that vegan-friendly. Mike and I usually go to Glasgow when we want to eat at an all vegan place.

ETA - If other vegans ever visited me (which is rare), I would suggest Henderson's above any other veg restaurant for anything other than Indian. The problem we have is that the best places for vegan food in Edinburgh are Indian, and Mike doesn't like Indian food. But if you don't have a picky eater with you, there's always Kalpna, which is some of the best Indian food I've ever eaten.

We're coming to Edinburgh for vacation next month and in addition to Henderson's, plan on taking in The Engine Shed and Russian Passion Cafe. They were both extremely helpful and knowledgable about vegan foods when I emailed them. The BF and I can't wait!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:35 am 

Didn't quite know where to put this so I'm bumping.

I see that Squeek has changed. It's had a much needed makeover http://www.aubergine-cuisine.co.uk/ but I suspect from some of the menu
items, descriptions and the monthly menu changes it's the same people. Anyone been since the new look?

Last time I went it had a good comedy 70s value. It was like eating at a restaurant version of Tom and Barbara's house from The Good Life,
but I have eaten good food there so I'm pretty hopeful.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:36 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My favourite veggie cafe in Scarborough has just been taken over. We had a very poor meal there at the weekend. It was SOOOO disappointing. I'm really sad about it. It wouldn't be so bad if it had just been any old run of the mill cafe but it was awesome & I didn't get to say good bye to the owners either. Very sad.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:25 am 
Nailed to the V

I live in Swansea, which is absolutely dire for vegan places to eat. We have one vegetarian restaurant in the whole city which does vegan options, luckily it's right on the same road as where I work. They do great dairy-free cheesecake and beautiful almond muffins which are vegan. They always have a vegan subji of the day, and there's vegan burgers, samosas etc. Only open 2 nights a week though!

The kitchen table in Mumbles does a vegan super-food burger which is delicious, and some sort of vegetable noodle dish, as well as scrambled tofu on toast and soy lattes. Pretty much all their produce is local and organic too.

The only health food shop we have is holland + barratt, which is fine for vegan pasties and processed food like fake meats and cheeses. I'm often in there buying the jamaican jerky and a can of vegetable juice when I've forgotten to prepare lunch the night before. And I also seem to frequently score half price bags of organic beansprouts which are sooooo good for adding to salads...I guess no-one else likes them :s

There's a facebook group for South Wales vegans (eat out vegan wales) which lists restaurants that have a vegan option/s which is pretty useful.

Reading through this thread, I think I need to move to Brighton!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:50 pm 

Aubergine in Nottingham (formerly Squeek) was exceptional on Friday night.