| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What did I do wrong?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I attempted to make bobs red mill gluten free pizza crust but after letting it sit for 20 minutes I ended up with a sticky blob of dough. There was no way in hell I could do anything with it. It was slimy and stuck to me and the cutting board. I even sprinkled oat flour on the board to roll it out, but it just sucked that up and stayed sticky. What gives?

Post subject: Re: What did I do wrong?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:32 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Sometimes adding oil works where adding more flour doesn't (with gluten-y bread. I haven't had a problem with too much moisture in gluten-free, only the other way round!).

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:40 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

that's about par for a lot of the gluten free bread type things. either you can use a fork to smoosh it into place or put it between two pieces of oiled plastic wrap and then roll it out.

The above has probably offended you. I have found it impossible to post to these forums without offending someone. I have preemptively said 25 hail seitans in the hope that I may appease the ppk gods and not be smote from these boards.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:10 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

shortbus has it so right. this dough in particular we use to make naan, and it can be problematic. i use the back of a spoon with oil on to smooth out the dough. i've had mixed results with that dough, but that is primarily because the reasons for choosing to use a mix are pretty much the same reasons i shouldn't be in the kitchen anyway. it is supposed to be like that, though, at least in my experience. it doesn't rise like regular wheat dough.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:42 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I've made that pizza dough many times. I let it rise, and then using wet hands, move it onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. I re-wet my hands to smooth it out into shape. If it starts to stick, wash my hands and wet them before continuing on. I don't use a rolling pin or plastic wrap, as it will stick.

I do the first bake on the baking sheet, and have a pizza stone heating in the oven. Pull it out of the oven, add the toppings, slide it onto the hot stone to finish baking. Makes the crust nice and flaky. It works best if you make two smaller pizzas vs. one big one... you get more edge crust that way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:43 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

This sounds similar to the brand I use here, too much water can make it so hard to work with, so I usually add some more flour so it's easier to work with. You could try using a touch less water next time and hopefully it'll be drier and not as sticky.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:19 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

This happened to me with their GF pizza mix too. Luckily my manfriend just smashed it real good onto the pan, but it barely spread out into anything pizza-y. Next time I'll try wet hands.

How long does this last in the freezer btw? Anyone know?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:33 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I tried this again and wanted to report back to you all. I made pizzas for my boyfriend's birthday weekend and wanted to let you know that this pizza crust is a bit tricky but still works amazingly.

I made the dough with my own yeast sachet instead of the one in the mix, which for some reason hardly ever proofs, but then again, maybe I'm just a sugar hog and don't feed it enough. So I let that proof for a bit, made the dough with a generous and wet flax egg (usually do 2 tbsp flax + 4 tbsp water, but added 2 tbsp water extra) and worked it into a nice dough, almost perfect consistency. Oiled two bowls, let is sit and rise for about an hour, and came back and rolled it out onto gf all purpose flour mix. Thank god I bought a rolling pin on a whim sometime back. Oiled a sheet pan, but a pizza stone would also work. Let that bake for a bit with no toppings, then put tomato sauce, minced garlic, daiya, sauteed pepper strips and onions, black olives, and some parsley on.

The crust needs to be rolled super thin but it worked so well. Oh, did I mention you should spread a bit of olive oil on the baked crust before putting on the toppings? That's key to getting the crust to the right texture and taste. It reminded me of brick oven pizza a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

with sticky crusts i place the dough blob on top of plastic wrap or parchment paper - then i cover the dough with another piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper and roll it out from there. if it's parchment paper i simply remove the top piece and place the dough & bottom piece of parchment paper on the pizza stone/pan/cast iron and bake it from there. with gluten-free crusts i always bake the crust naked for 12 minutes THEN top with sauce, veggies 'n cheeze - bake another 8 to 10 and let it sit for another 10.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:23 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

good tips happyfaced. i always forget about parchment paper.