| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:24 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

unrefinedmom wrote:
About to make the Cheesy Broccoli Rice, but adding 3 tablespoons of chickeny bouillon sounds like a lot. Is this a misprint perhaps? It calls for 3 cups of water so 3 teaspoons sounds about right, no?

Just wondering. I have the Ibook version if that matters.

~Jennifer

I'm looking at the ebook at work. I definitely use 6 Tablespoons of the homemade Chickeny Bouillon, but if you are using a high salt one (like Better than Bouillon) you could start with 1 tablespoon and add more later if needed. It is a big part of the flavor, but you have to balance that out with how salty you want it to be.

I hope that helps!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:27 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

geekypoet wrote:
unrefinedmom wrote:
About to make the Cheesy Broccoli Rice, but adding 3 tablespoons of chickeny bouillon sounds like a lot. Is this a misprint perhaps? It calls for 3 cups of water so 3 teaspoons sounds about right, no?

Just wondering. I have the Ibook version if that matters.

~Jennifer

I'm looking at the ebook at work. I definitely use 6 Tablespoons of the homemade Chickeny Bouillon, but if you are using a high salt one (like Better than Bouillon) you could start with 1 tablespoon and add more later if needed. It is a big part of the flavor, but you have to balance that out with how salty you want it to be.

I hope that helps!

Thank you! Yes, I am using the premade no chicken bouillon and it can be a bit salty so I will scale it back a tad. My family and I love all of the recipes we have tried so far! Big big fans of the White Bean and Kale Stew (we eat this at least once a week:)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:22 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I usually use Not Chick'n Bouillon cubes...if the recipe calls for 2 tbsp of bouillon I use 1 cube. This seems to work well for my tastes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just argued with my partner over leftovers of the chickn cacciatore. Best dish we've made from this book so far. I made it with the white seitan from Viva Vegan...my favorite.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I just put the Soy Chorizo Black Bean Stew in the Crock Pot for dinner tonight...and I wanted to warn others to be sure you use a smaller Crock Pot for this one. I originally had it in my 5-qt and ended up having to put it in the 2.5-qt. I think a 3-qt would be ideal. :) Hope it's as tasty as it looks! I was also lazy and did not saute the peppers, onions, and garlic, because for me the point of the Crock Pot is only dirtying one pot. (Although in this case I dirtied two because I had to transfer it...but at least the first one was easy to clean!)

This was also my first time using soy chorizo, and I'm cracking up at the warning on the front of the package to "remove casing before eating." Well, yeah...since it's plastic, and it has little metal clips on the ends holding it together. :P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:49 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Just got this in a cookbook swap. Now I need to get a slow cooker.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:28 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I made three recipes from this book last week and while they were all good, I'll definitely be tweaking those in the future. I suspect I'll just be tweaking everything - there's something just out of reach for me in these recipes, but it's very convenient, quick, and easy.

And Lard knows the slow-cooker is getting me through Grad school!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just had a closer look at the blondie recipe (I can't remember the full name), and it calls for 3/4c or 355ml of soy milk. Surely that's a misprint - 3/4 of a cup is, I think, 120ml. Is it meant to be 1 3/4c? This is in the hard copy.

I'm really looking forward to trying stuff out this week!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:06 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

rachell37 - it is supposed to be 3/4 cups so the ml is a misprint. It should be 178ml or somewhere there abouts.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:52 pm 
Huffs Nooch

karichelle wrote:
This was also my first time using soy chorizo, and I'm cracking up at the warning on the front of the package to "remove casing before eating." Well, yeah...since it's plastic, and it has little metal clips on the ends holding it together. :P

I have nothing relevant to add, except that I need to order this book. And that the first time I used soy chorizo, I thought the plastic was casing and sliced right through it. I spent 45 minutes fishing rings of plastic out of my boiling pot of soup.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:03 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I really really want to get this cookbook,but I have a tiny individual slow cooker (1 1/2 qt that I got from a friend)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:37 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

There are a lot of recipes that call for the smaller slow cooker, especially breakfasts and desserts. I'm going to have to get one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:40 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

hmmm.
i have a slow cooker...
i don't have this book.

when i was a meat eater, anything imade in my slow cooker turned out to be.. watery yuck.
I am assuming things in here are awesomeney goot.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:35 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

veggiepalooza wrote:
I really really want to get this cookbook,but I have a tiny individual slow cooker (1 1/2 qt that I got from a friend)

There are some recipes in the book for a small slow cooker and some main courses on my blog if you want to try a couple out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:36 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

molly wrote:
There are a lot of recipes that call for the smaller slow cooker, especially breakfasts and desserts. I'm going to have to get one.

You won't regret it!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:58 am 
Saggy Butt

I have been really slacking on cooking the past few weeks, just trying to deal with life, as well as falling behind when I go away on the weekend.

Anyway, I made the Ma Po tofu yesterday and it was delicious. I am looking forward to leftovers for lunch. I used one package of sliken tofu and one package of regular firm tofu because I wasn't sure if I would like all silken tofu. It turned out perfect, with chewy chunks of the firm tofu and the creaminess of the silken tofu. The sauce thickened up perfectly on the high setting in my new slow cooker. I cooked the broccoli separately and served it with brown rice.

The only thing I changed was that I sauteed the garlic in a bit of oil for a minute or two because I don't like the taste of raw garlic cooked in the slow cooker. I discovered that the taste and smell I can't stand from slow cooked meals is whatever chemical transformation garlic and especially onions undergo when they are cooked for a long time in it without being sauteed first.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:42 pm 
Crazy bat lady

I made the tempeh tikka masala last week--it was fantastic! I used homemade cashew 'sour cream' for the sour cream. Next time I'm going to double it and try freezing individual portions for my husband's lunch.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:31 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I tried the Pumpkin and White Bean Lasagna yesterday. A few things stand out in my mind - I made the tofu-pumpkin ricotta layers too thick - too much space between noodle layers, I believe. Also, I think I needed a few more beans. It was very spicy, which I like. However, I may try it without so much sauce next time, or maybe with an almond vegan alfredo sauce and omitting the sun-dried tomatoes. Do you guys think that could work?

BTW, Kathy, I love this cookbook! I especially like how you divide the recipe tasks into night before and morning of cooking. That is a big help to me, because sometimes, I am so pressed for time, I can't think straight!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:11 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Arlyss wrote:
I tried the Pumpkin and White Bean Lasagna yesterday. A few things stand out in my mind - I made the tofu-pumpkin ricotta layers too thick - too much space between noodle layers, I believe. Also, I think I needed a few more beans. It was very spicy, which I like.

I made this last week as well and also felt the ricotta layer was too thick. Leftovers are delicious with an extra helping of marinara sauce, nutritional yeast, and crushed red chili pepper. Looking forward to trying more recipes from this book as it gets colder outside :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:03 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

A friend who doesn't cook gave me her copy of this book yesterday. I need more friends like this! What should I try first? I've got four kids (12-5) and a husband. They're all fairly adventurous eaters except for the extremely picky five-year-old.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:49 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Arlyss wrote:
I tried the Pumpkin and White Bean Lasagna yesterday. A few things stand out in my mind - I made the tofu-pumpkin ricotta layers too thick - too much space between noodle layers, I believe. Also, I think I needed a few more beans. It was very spicy, which I like. However, I may try it without so much sauce next time, or maybe with an almond vegan alfredo sauce and omitting the sun-dried tomatoes. Do you guys think that could work?

BTW, Kathy, I love this cookbook! I especially like how you divide the recipe tasks into night before and morning of cooking. That is a big help to me, because sometimes, I am so pressed for time, I can't think straight!

I think you can do a bizillion variations and it will work ; )

Thanks for letting me know you're enjoying the book - it made my day : )

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:26 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Just got this book today as an early Christmas present - from reading through this thread, I'm looking forward to trying the pumpkin white bean lasagna! I've never had a slow cooker before, excited for it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:28 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

The black bean chorizo stew was quite good. I had an extra half of a cup of diced tomatoes in the fridge to use up so I added those as well. I would make that recipe again. I used Field Roast chorizo for the sausage and I used heaping measurements for the spices since I think slow cooker recipes often need more seasoning.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:40 pm 

Just made the pizza and it was a fail. Stuck to the bottom, even though I thoroughly oiled the crock. Bah.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:41 pm 

I made the tempeh and veggies in spicy peanut sauce today, and it was rather uninspiring. I ended up adding some ginger to it, but it's just kind of bland. And greasy, since it calls for a whole cup of peanut butter. I have a hard time finding peanut sauces that don't leave me feeling queasy, though, even though I love the idea of them.

However! This is a GREAT way to cook tempeh, for people who maybe think that tempeh sucks. It gets really tender and since it cooks all day, the flavor (what little there was of it) got all the way to the center, which can be hard with tempeh sometimes.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next