| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PCOS/Metformin, etc. after pregnancy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:14 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm not sure if this should be here or in the health section, but it feels all warm and safe here... :D

For those of you with PCO/PCOS, how did pregnancy affect your symptoms? I didn't know I even had this issue (despite like 20 years of dr. visits...grrr..but that's another thread) until we were trying to conceive the bean. In the end, I ended up combining Metformin with acupuncture to make an effective treatment and induce ovulation.

So now, 6 months on, I'm a bit unsure as to how I should proceed. My periods were all over the board before, and at times so heavy that I was in hospital/transfused, etc. Not that it wasn't a blast, but I'd like to avoid that in the future all the same. Metformin isn't licensed here for use with PCOS, but my GP prescribed it regardless as it's commonly used for this purpose. No post-partum cycles yet, but I fear my time is drawing nigh, urgh. Having a bit of trouble with weight gain too. After the birth, I was eating like a horse and still losing! Now eating about what I'm "supposed" to be eating (2000ish kCal/day) and slowly gaining. Going to try and ramp up my exercise level and cut out the bits of junk food I eat, but taking this as a sign that maybe the PCO is starting to act up again?

Anyway, would love to hear others' experiences. We're not planning on any more biological children, so fertility's not a big issue, but ovulating and having fairly regular cycles just seems like a healthy goal.