| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dreena's books - ED&BV, VLV!, and EV
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:05 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

zinnia wrote:
vijita wrote:
Can someone please PM me the ED&BV truffle recipe? I promise I have the book (and love it!), but it is in Canada and my mum is hounding me to send her that recipe to make for the holidays. Thanks in advance!!

Done!

Thank you SO much!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:11 pm 
WELFARIST!

zinnia wrote:
ED&BV: The Veggie Tempeh Muffuletta is one of my all-time favorites. I've also made and loved:

I always thought this sounded fantastic and meant to try it. It might be just the thing to take over to my sister's for my Christmas meal. Portable, filling and delish! I've always loved Muffulettas.

I have ED& BV and VLV and I love them both. So many great recipes but I've forgotten them off the top of my head. I remade the blackened tofu recently and it was delicious. I remember making the pan fried Tempteh once when I was kinda sick and not in the mood to go to much trouble and it was really good and super quick to make. whenever I'm low on groceries and need to make something from the pantry, I often think of it to fill out a meal.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:37 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I just got ED&BV for Christmas, and it looks great! I think I'm going to make Thai Chick-Un Pizza really soon, and I want to try the You Got Chocolate In My Peanut Butter Cookies too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:12 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I made the Thai Chick-Un Pizza for supper, I haven't baked the pizza yet but I can't stop eating the sauce, it's so good! I seriously love peanut sauces. I have quite a bit leftover, I think maybe I'll make some sort of pasta/stir-fry for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:27 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I made the zucchini spelt muffins yesterday (I was pretty silly....I didn't even read the ingredients and just started making them assuming they were savoury muffins, didn't realise until I was pouring sugar in what was going on, haha!). Despite them being sweet, they are absolutely delicious, the housemates loved them.

Oh and the zucchini chickpea curry is delicious! I've made more but I can't remember off the top of my head...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:31 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

i love EDBV so much. i had it sitting in my house for almost a year before i made anything from it, but then i finally made a recipe and couldnt stop.

almost everything i have made form this book has been incredibly good. one of the best things about it is the fact that i cant seem to screw a recipe up no matter how hard i try. maybe ive just been getting lucky though.

this weekend my wife made the Coconut Lime Sucker Pie. it was out of this world! i mean amazing. for some reason i wasnt especially excited about the pie, so it kind of snuck up on me how fantastic it was.

we got some of those graham cracker pie crusts from WF and lightly baked it, but otherwise its a no bake pie.

we used the rasberry sauce recipe from the book that she recommends and it was insane. i need to figure out other uses for that as well.

try this recipe folks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:52 am 
WELFARIST!

matty wrote:
this weekend my wife made the Coconut Lime Sucker Pie. it was out of this world! i mean amazing. for some reason i wasnt especially excited about the pie, so it kind of snuck up on me how fantastic it was.

we got some of those graham cracker pie crusts from WF and lightly baked it, but otherwise its a no bake pie.

we used the rasberry sauce recipe from the book that she recommends and it was insane. i need to figure out other uses for that as well.

try this recipe folks!

I'm with you, it's incredible and I thank you for the suggestion. I wasn't too excited either, although your review gave me hope. I made the raspberry sauce and the macadamia vanilla bean cream she recommends and my guests just inhaled it. One of my favorite desserts. Highly recommended and really easy to make.

I've really been getting into ED&BV lately and it's fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:56 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

The mellow lentil sniffle soup or whatever it's called is so great. I was hestitant about adding the apple cider vinegar at the end, but I'm glad I did, it made the soup so creamy and amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:08 am 
WELFARIST!

Love Child wrote:
The mellow lentil sniffle soup or whatever it's called is so great. I was hestitant about adding the apple cider vinegar at the end, but I'm glad I did, it made the soup so creamy and amazing.

Yeah, there's a soup in one of the Kramer books (I think its the Quinoa Lentil Stew in La Dolce Vegan) where you put apple cider vinegar in at the end and at first, I was dubious, but yeah, it really adds a sumpin-sumpin to the finished product. I have another recipe where Emeril adds AC vinegar to finish a soup, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:41 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made the Supercharge Me cookies from ED&BV yesterday. I had made them before and liked them but didn't use choc chips. The simple addition of the chocolate turned it from a good healthy cookie to a "surprised this is healthy because it tastes so good" cookie.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:37 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I just finished making the creamy cashew dip. It's so good my daughter started to eat it out of the food processor with a spoon! I'll make the cinnamon sweet tortilla strips to go with it later.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:51 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

My friends won't even let me come over without the artichoke dip from ED&BV. The hidden lentil tomato sauce is a winner too. I don't make too many of the full recipes for some reason...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:06 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made Chickpea Mash Stew from EV - it's delicious, and it's like a really thick hummus!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:21 pm 
Nailed to the V

my Julie/Julia is going really great with this book. (EV). I made this week the mushroom walnut burgers (that's what I had, and it was an option), mushroom gravy and roasted balsamic beans and peppers. deeelish all of it. I am thinking though I may have to add more pepper and salt, just as some is a bit flat, and while I don't mind monitoring my sodium levels, it does have that "it needs a "kick' aspect to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:13 pm 
Tofu Pup

For those of you who own both ED&BV and VLV, is there one you'd recommend over the other? I'm having difficulty deciding between the two! :-) Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:25 am 
Nailed to the V

oh... wow. that's kinda tough. I'm always the kind of person who says "BOTH!"

I'm running out of the door now but when i get home I'll look over the two of them and give you more of a concise answer. off the top of my head I want to say that VLV is more every-dayish recipies (lots of breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and you are good to go), while, EBDV has a lot more "entertaining" food, but you can still make meals out of them. (and if you love hummus, EBDV has an entire chapter on it).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks Daisy, that's very helpful! :-) I'll definitely purchase both at some stage, when finances allow. Do you also own LTEV and Everyday Vegan?

I'd be interested to see the recipes in the hommus chapter! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

LemonTree - yeup, I own all four. I have this thing for sets LOL

okay. VLV uses hemp a LOT. I see this as a sequel to the EV where as, a lot of these are quick, easy (or if they do take a while its not super complicated, it, just takes a bit). it's not fancy or anything, (but you could serve something as a meal) that needs to be fancy, if you get what i mean

EDBV is more like a celebration of good, and I think Dreen is a bit more exploratory of her food combinations and flavourings, and while it is still "every-day," i think it's more of the concepts. (such as again the hummus chapter. a lot of them - black bean hummus, olive and sundried tomato hummus and so on), screams for "add veggies, and serve a vegan tapas" or things you'd more like serve skeptical people or you felt like really indulging. I feel like I am not doing either one justice in the descriptions but again its just the food combinations and descriptions.

if it helps any, I had purchased EDBV before I had purchased VLV (however, I worship at the alter of hummus... :D)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:05 am 
Tofu Pup

I decided to order ED&BV. I'm also a hommus-fiend! :-) Thanks for mentioning the frequent use of hemp in VLV. I'm not sure if hemp is easily accessible (and affordable) where I live, so I'll have to do some research.

What do you think of LTEV? I've heard it's quite different to Dreena's previous books?

Thanks again for your advice and recommendations; your help was very much appreciated! :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:12 am 
Nailed to the V

I liked what i've seen, but to be honest i've not dived in it. I was doing a Julie/Julia project with Everyday Vegan. (right now I am doing it w/Hannah's Ice Cream Book LOL - got too hot to eat!), and then i am going to go back to it. I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue with ALL of dreenas, and then switch or just alternate. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:45 am 
Tofu Pup

Mmmm... I adore ice cream, but it's too chilly here to indulge at the moment! I'm curled up in front of the heater right now! :-)

Have you been blogging about your Julie/Julia project? It'd be fun to read about your experience with it! :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:38 am 
Nailed to the V

I have and haven't. LOL I'm using my facebook because I am too simple and slow to figure out how the new blogger works with formatting and things like that. once I get started I will be using it more frequently. My goal is to J/J all my vegan cookbooks and write reviews on how it really "comes out" :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:03 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

i only own ltev and have enjoyed everything i have made from it, probaby ~10 recipes. i think i am going to get ed&bv next.
that julie/julia project sounds fun! it's funny, i have actually considered doing that as well but i get overwhelmed by the idea of it. maybe when i don't have 3 kids 4 years old and under!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

:) I am def. going to do a blog about it :)
Lindsay it is a bit overwhelming, esp. when it comes to foods i don't like (see, olives) but that's kind of why I love being vegan and love the project because it does force me to change things up, not just focus on what I do like.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:01 am 
Tofu Pup

Please keep us updated Daisy, I'd love to read your blog once it's up and running! :-)