| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Toddler injuries
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:24 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Walter is obsessed with pulling up and cruising along on furniture. He is pretty steady but occasionally (like once a day) he falls over and bonks his head. We have wooden floors with some rugs. My question is: is it okay that he hits his head on the wood floor sometimes? It's not like he loses consciousness or anything; sometimes he cries and sometimes he gets right back up and keeps playing. What do other people do to prevent head bonking? Do you have carpet? Do you supervise 100% at all times? That does not seem realistic to me. My husband thinks he needs a helmet. I think toddlers are designed to fall a lot. We have not been around other people with babies much so I don't know what's normal. Maybe I'm too careless. Thanks, ppk.

Post subject: Re: Toddler injuries
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:38 pm 
Semen Strong

I don't have a toddler, but it would seem to me that nature gave them a low center of gravity and well padded bottoms so that they could learn at a minimal cost.

I kind of love the idea of seeing Walter with a spear and magic helmet though....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:51 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I think toddlers' bonking their head every once in a while on a hard floor is normal. We have some carpeting but Lydia is especially good at falling in the parts of the house with no carpeting. I don't really do anything to stop the head bonking from the standard toddler falls. I haven't noticed the other parents in playgroup being any more cautious either, so I think this is pretty common! I do think our playgroup families are more relaxed than average about baby proofing though, so maybe this isn't as common as I think.

Protecting heads from hitting sharp corners and fireplace edges is different. We've blocked off the fireplace with baby gates, and have installed edge protector things on hard edged furniture.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:00 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

helbury wrote:

Protecting heads from hitting sharp corners and fireplace edges is different. We've blocked off the fireplace with baby gates, and have installed edge protector things on hard edged furniture.

I just got edge thingies and baby gates this week.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:05 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

yep it sure does seem like toddlers have radar and only fall where there is no carpet! Then again, we only have like one area rug in our entire apartment of wood floors...but it's right in front of the couch yet Dahlia always seemed to divebomb off the couch in the tiny area not covered. It definitely happened a number of times, and it sucked, but she's fine. I don't think she really even ever got a bruise. And we didn't really babyproof too much because we have a small space anyway - our main concession was getting rid of the coffee table entirely because yep, sharp corners are too scary. We could've gotten those edge protectors helbury mentioned but for us it made sense to have maximum floor space for her, and we've gotten used to putting stuff like drinks on a shelf above the back of the couch.

And while 100% supervision isn't realistic, we definitely stayed (still do actually) in the same room with her almost all the time - and STILL accidents happened. I doubt you are being too careless, but I also understand your husband's worry - it sure seems like the end of the world when your kid gets hurt.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:05 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Miles bonks his head on our floor once or twice a day when he is rolling around. I don't think it's anything to worry about. We have very thin carpets on hardwood floors and I also don't supervise him 100% of the time and the only baby-proofing I do is to cover electric sockets and make sure all of Reno's small toys are not in the same room as Miles.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:36 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Ezra started walking around 9 months, so the kid fell. Oh Lard, the kid fell a lot. He still has a small indictation in the middle of his forehead from one particularly bad fall. He fell, looked up, and had a giant DENT in his forehead. I think I died. By the time I got the doctor on the phone, he was happily nursing - it was crazy.

I always nurse him after a bad fall and that really seems to help. Kids will be kids. As long as he's moving and talking (babbling) well soon afterwards and in good spirits, I think you're safe.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:49 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The Emperor has been falling down/bashing into things, often with his head, since basically as soon as he was mobile. I think it's pretty normal. We obviously have blocked off serious hazards (we used to have a wood stove for heating in our old house, that was fun) but I think a helmet would be going a little far.

My general policy with falls/injuries is that if he's not too upset by it, I shouldn't be either. The times when he was in serious pain (of which there have been blessedly few), it was totally clear and we responded to it promptly.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:52 pm 
Inflexitarian

Felix recently fell while trying to climb up onto the window sill and bashed his head into a chair. He ended up with a huge goose egg like this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mvv_jFDFp5g/T ... G_1410.JPG
(that's not Felix obviously, but I never did get a pic of his)
His bangs covered it and I didn't notice it until Zola's foot brushed against his forehead when they were climbing on the slide and he started screaming. I brushed his bangs aside, just as a head rubbing, comforting sort of thing that I do with the kids, and there was this huge, bulging lump. It freaked me the fork out. I ended up calling an ambulance because I had no idea what it was (for a few seconds I thought he had a brain tumor or an aneurysm or something) and didn't have a car with carseats.
Thankfully, it wasn't a big deal and he's fine.

So there's my toddler head injury story.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:29 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Kai hits his head a lot too. Usually with his babysitter, but not always. I think it is because their house is very small and cluttered, so he tends to fall over things more when he is over there.

Anyway, last month he hit his forehead on the same exact spot three weeks in a row! The 1st time he actually threw up a few hours after it happened, which is a sign of a concussion so I was worried. But he was fine overnight(I read to make sure they don't fall into a deep sleep overnight and he woke up a couple times so it was fine) and didn't throw up again, so no problem. I told the babysitter to be extra careful because I read if they actually do have a concussion, you have to be careful not to hit it again before it heals because then it can be really dangerous.

Sure enough he hit it again with his dad 1 week later. Then AGAIN with his babysitter 1 week later. Luckily we had his 1 year checkup anyway, so I asked the dr to look at it. He said at worst maybe he had a bit of a calcium deposit, which might take a couple weeks to heal, but it was no biggie. He said as long as they don't continue to throw up, and are otherwise normal (not acting dizzy or confused, etc) then it is fine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:00 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Been there, mama! I agree that it's usually best to read your baby's response. If they can be comforted and up and about in a matter of moments it's usually fine. They are built pretty sturdy. I try to be vigilante, look out for hazards, but I do not have my eyes on him 100% of the time.

ETA: Our biggest injury to date was a fall on the face at the playground. Felix got a deep cut on his upper lip and had to get stitches at urgent care. He wasn't even that fussed about it 10 minutes after it happened, but it was too open to leave be. I'm sure the process of getting stitches upset him far more than the actual injury.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Raygold falls every day, several times a day. Two of his teeth have teeny chips on the corners! He's had scratches and has bled (but not usually) and has fallen from pretty high (3-ish feet?) before. He hits his head and face a lot. It doesn't seem to be affecting his cognitive abilities as I heard him counting down backwards from 10 along with the TV this morning. ;p

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:29 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This is totally unrelated to the rest of this thread, but since it's titled toddler injuries...Beetroot ate a wee Thai finger chili when my back was turned -- and started flipping the fork out. Now, I am one of those crazy people who could probably snack on finger chilies (Mr. Crabby calls me 'leather tongue' because I can eat such spicy food and ate an entire pot of coconut beans and greens seasoned with a scotch bonnet pepper (Mr. Crabby had one bite and said it was too hot)), but Beetroot is 3 and although he can eat quite spicy food, hasn't quite made it to my level yet.
So while Beetroot started crying and trying to claw his tongue off (gagging himself several times), I made him do 2 shots of extra virgin olive oil followed by several soymilk chasers. Then he got all shivery from the cold soymilk (and the whole shock, I think) and had to lie down in the living room under a blanket. He is still feeling a little delicate.

I had earlier him lick one of the peppers to see how hot it was and he got too enthusiastic and bit it (and spat it out on command) and got a little upset, but was fine after I rubbed olive oil on his tongue. But I figured after that he wouldn't try to eat one, so I hadn't put them away yet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:23 am 
Tofu Pup

This is the age to fall down. But you should take care of your toddler at some points. Anyways just let your toddler free to enjoy childhood.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:05 am 
Bathes in Braggs

my son hits his head so much, that i have finally stopped panicking about it. he is three and he's been doing it since he started to walk at ten months. he runs into walls, chairs, whatever. he falls off shiitake all the time. i just make sure nothing too dangerous is around and that i have frozen peas in the freezer and arnica ointment in the medicine cabinet at all times. and yeah, he's still one of the smartest three year olds i know, so i think they are built for all this head-knocking. i really must recommend arnica ointment, it gets rid of pain, bruising and swelling so fast :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:09 am 
Seagull of the PPK

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
So while Beetroot started crying and trying to claw his tongue off (gagging himself several times), I made him do 2 shots of extra virgin olive oil followed by several soymilk chasers. Then he got all shivery from the cold soymilk (and the whole shock, I think) and had to lie down in the living room under a blanket. He is still feeling a little delicate..

this made me laugh so hard. Sorry, Beety.
Even in hot food cultures, kiddies get mild food!! I think their taste buds catch everything as more intense, and so it is a big jolt to get a hot pepper, even one we think of as wimpy. Sprog has only started liking hot food in the last year or two (age 10 or 11), and not for lack of trying.

Regarding kids getting hurt.... it's like a scratch on your brand new car. The first time, it absolutely kills you. The tenth time, it's like -- shrug. Kids get hurt. You can try to minimize damage by removing extra-dangerous things, but I think, personally, that a helmet is overkill. Kids with epilepsy do wear helmets, because they fall from standing height, deadweight falls. Some kids with brain issues like to bonk their heads on purpose for stimulus (like my daughter did, and she was prescribed a helmet because we often found her at night in the corner of her crib, banging her head. I will also say that making a kid wear a helmet is almost more torturous than seeing them hurt.).
I think learning the signs of concussion is a better use of time and worry, and having a doctor you can call and ask questions when you are not sure (or even a nurse line) can help assuage your doubts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

torque wrote:
this made me laugh so hard. Sorry, Beety.
Even in hot food cultures, kiddies get mild food!! I think their taste buds catch everything as more intense, and so it is a big jolt to get a hot pepper, even one we think of as wimpy. Sprog has only started liking hot food in the last year or two (age 10 or 11), and not for lack of trying.

I started my kids on spicy food kind of early -- Beetroot was eating (salt-free) sweet potato korma before he was a year old! Not crazy spicy, mind you, but I was never afraid to serve him anything with a little hot pepper in it. Both my kids eat spicier food than my MIL (although she is unusually sensitive to spicy food).
That said, those finger chilis are crazy spicy -- especially when they are raw! I am just a hot food superhuman. ;p

And since this about toddler injuries, my husband took Beetroot to the playground yesterday and Beetroot slipped and fell off the top of the ladder on the slide. Both of them told me about it when they got home. I am impressed because I guess my husband got Beetroot to get back up and go on the slide again after his fall!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:11 am 
Smuggling Raisins

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
This is totally unrelated to the rest of this thread, but since it's titled toddler injuries...Beetroot ate a wee Thai finger chili when my back was turned -- and started flipping the fork out. Now, I am one of those crazy people who could probably snack on finger chilies (Mr. Crabby calls me 'leather tongue' because I can eat such spicy food and ate an entire pot of coconut beans and greens seasoned with a scotch bonnet pepper (Mr. Crabby had one bite and said it was too hot)), but Beetroot is 3 and although he can eat quite spicy food, hasn't quite made it to my level yet.
So while Beetroot started crying and trying to claw his tongue off (gagging himself several times), I made him do 2 shots of extra virgin olive oil followed by several soymilk chasers. Then he got all shivery from the cold soymilk (and the whole shock, I think) and had to lie down in the living room under a blanket. He is still feeling a little delicate.

I had earlier him lick one of the peppers to see how hot it was and he got too enthusiastic and bit it (and spat it out on command) and got a little upset, but was fine after I rubbed olive oil on his tongue. But I figured after that he wouldn't try to eat one, so I hadn't put them away yet.

I wish I could favorite this post. This is amazing. Little kids are the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:33 am 
Seagull of the PPK

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
I started my kids on spicy food kind of early -- Beetroot was eating (salt-free) sweet potato korma before he was a year old! Not crazy spicy, mind you, but I was never afraid to serve him anything with a little hot pepper in it.

I think this is so awesome. It's so cool to be giving little kids stuff with not only hot spices but interesting spices. I know plenty of kids who are afraid of anything that isn't white bread or steak or chicken nuggets, I feel like we are creating gourmands here by giving kids more complex foods, teaching them how to use spices, etc.
Mr Torque is also absolutely terrified of anything spicy. He also is sort of taste-blind so he will get paranoid and say "there's wasabi in here! I can taste it!" when there isn't, or if it's orangey he will be sure there is chili in it (there isn't). I love hot food, and here in this part of Brazil nobody eats anything spicy so it's a bit of an oddity, and Sprog has been imitating me with the hot sauce lately. I am impressed, to be honest.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:28 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

We just had our first major fall. Lydia fell off the bed early this morning after nursing and sustained a huge welt on her forehead. Surprisingly, she only cried for 30 seconds or so, and actually gave a huge smile to my partner when he rushed in to see what all the commotion was about. Kids can be so tough sometimes! I still called the dr's office though and spoke to an advice nurse, who seemed to think that everything was fine. I'm just supposed to watch her carefully for the next day or so, and apply ice as often as I can. Trying to convince a 13 month old to sit still and let me hold ice on her head is nearly impossible though....

Also, after reading your story, keen_on_quinoa, I knew what a goose egg looked like. I think I would have completely flipped out if I hadn't known what a goose egg was, so thank you, keen_on_quinoa!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:32 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I don't want to be alarming, so first remember that falling and head bumping are normal for toddlers.

It is also important to be aware as a parent. Head injuries are more common in children than adults. They don't have good control of their head and their neck is not as supportive.

If a child is bumping their head a lot, look for head injury signs.

Also know that when you have one head injury, you are more apt to have another. When you have a second, you are more apt to have a third.

Again, pleas do not become overly alarmed. Because I work in a field where I see brain injuries often, I think about it more than the average person. (I have also suffered from a brain injury myself.)

In cases where a child is hitting their head hard a lot, a helmet may not be a bad idea. Our brains are delicate.

I would also encourage all parents to become familiar with the signs of shaken baby syndrome. If you leave you child with a sitter, be sure that you sitter is also aware of the damage that can be caused by shaking. Kids as old as 3-5 have suffered from shaking.

Keep in mind that awareness is not cause for fear.

Enjoy your little sweeties!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:47 am 
Level 7 Vegan

We had our first trip to urgent care! This morning Walter tripped, I think over his feetie pajamas, and smashed his mouth into the coffee table. There was lots of blood and lots of screaming. Fortunately all his teeth are secure and his jaw is fine. Unfortunately he has a cut that crosses from his lower lip into the skin below, which means he will have a scar. They gave me the option to do nothing, see how it heals, and follow up later with a pastic surgeon if necessary, or have him sedated so they could give him stitches. I'm opting to do nothing, because it's a purely cosmetic issue and very minor. And knocking my baby out with anesthesia is scary. He is a dude, so one day there will be a beard or at least a shadow of a beard there to cover up the scar. Ugh, rough morning.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh, poor little guy! I hope Walter is feeling better (and mama, too). That must have been really stressful.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:36 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Aww poor walter! Sorry that happened, I'm glad at least it wasn't worse!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:39 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh no! Reno has a scar right next to her eye from a falling accident 2 years ago which was bloody and scary. We just let it be. I'm like you and didn't want to put her under for a cosmetic thing. I say it gives them character.