| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Toddler injuries
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:06 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Poor Walter! I hope he is feeling better.

We let Grey kind of do his thing so he has scraped knees and perpetually dirty hands from crawling everywhere. He loves his freedom but I feel like other moms will judge me for having the scraped, dirty baby.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:12 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, poor Walter! I hope he heals up nicely and feels better soon.

We haven't had any serious injuries yet, but that has been pure luck because Inez falls all the time (and usually while running full out). The worst was when she faceplanted on the sidewalk downtown a few weeks ago. She managed to hit her forehead on a rock embedded in the concrete and when she stood up she had a little divot. I about puked.

littlebear, anyone who would judge Grey's scraped knees or dirty hands is a jerk.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:19 am 
Bathes in Braggs

tzipi is getting steadily wilder and wilder and faster and faster, and is yet incredibly unsteady and clumsy. she careens around the house whacking her head on things. sometimes her feet do that cartoon thing where they keep running in one direction while the rest of her has decided to head in another direction. every single time we go to the park, we end up with a bloody lip or scraped hand or knee. it would be hilarious if not so sad!

fortunately we haven't had another return to the ER since she fell all the way down a full flight of stairs onto a concrete sidewalk last summer. it is surely only a matter of time though. the great thing about kids this age is that they are incredibly resilient. if i'd made the same fall, i'd have had a broken bone for sure... and even her busted lips and scrapes seem to stop bleeding and heal up way way faster then an adult's would.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:36 am 
Semen Strong

I am sure no one judges you LBear! I had been keeping Leela off dirty surfaces (public floors) until our PPK meet-up where I saw all these cute kids having a great time crawling and getting filthy. Now we go out and she ends up covered in grime and schmutz.

And Lbird, that fall down stairs sounds terrifying! So glad Tzippy is ok.

And sending many healing thoughts to MM and WalterMitten <3

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:54 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Thanks everybody. The face is much improved today.

As far as letting babies and toddlers run and get dirty, my philosophy is pick your battles. I try to give him as much freedom as I can stomach so that when he is doing something unsafe and I need to use my NO! card, he isn't already frustrated from being redirected and shut down all day. For instance, he likes to push his chair up to the (closed, first floor) window and watch what's going on outside. One day, he might fall off of it and get hurt, but I am willing to take that risk rather than have a battle of wills 45 times a day about standing on the chair. Same for climbing up on the couch, opening and closing drawers, climbing up and down a flight of 3 stairs by himself. He feels very strongly about doing these things, he's building motor skills, he's learning about his physical limitations. I just don't want to spend all day every day saying no when the worst that might happen is a bruise or small cut or pinched finger. My husband thinks I am way too lax. I watch other parents at the playground and I hover and assist way less than most, so maybe he's right. I like to think I am helping build confidence, hopefully there are no broken bones!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:45 pm 
Semen Strong

mittenmacher wrote:
My husband thinks I am way too lax. I watch other parents at the playground and I hover and assist way less than most, so maybe he's right. I like to think I am helping build confidence, hopefully there are no broken bones!

I feel like if you are the primary caregiver, your partner may not have a real sense of what your child can do, despite loving him/her very much. I was feeding Leela pieces of toast with smushed up cauliflower and beans on them. Everything was cooked so well that you could mush it with your finger. But my husband kept freaking out that it was a choking hazard. And I agree that you get a sense of what your battles are and save them for stuff that could be lethal or harmful, not that is going to get them a bit dirty.

So glad he's doing better. <3

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:13 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Poor Walter! Glad he's on the mend!

@lb, what a wonderful sense of adventure Grey will have. Sure, we have to keep little ones safe, but the freedom to explore is a powerful thing to babies and toddlers, imo.