| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: B12 absorption and Tyrosine
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:06 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

From the little I know, it does seem unusual that you're not taking a separate D supplement. What kind of doctor is this? An MD or something else?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:30 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'll pick up a D supplement tomorrow. The sunlamp would be a little out of my budget for now...
I just got off working night shift for the last 6 months, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Laminatedcat, yes, he is an MD.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:03 am 
Chard Martyr

Dunebug wrote:
I'll pick up a D supplement tomorrow. The sunlamp would be a little out of my budget for now...
I just got off working night shift for the last 6 months, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I think you should give your doctor a call and ask about vitamin d. He may have just forgotten to talk to you about supplements or something. Since you're low he might want to prescribe you something because the current RDA of 200IU is not enough. They are supposed to be changing the RDA this year to be something much higher. Most studies say that taking 1000IU to 2000 IU is better, so I'd just ask him about it. As much as I think I know what I'm talking about I still wouldn't recommend getting advice from people on the internet.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:32 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Dunebug wrote:

I think you should give your doctor a call and ask about vitamin d. He may have just forgotten to talk to you about supplements or something. Since you're low he might want to prescribe you something because the current RDA of 200IU is not enough. They are supposed to be changing the RDA this year to be something much higher. Most studies say that taking 1000IU to 2000 IU is better, so I'd just ask him about it. As much as I think I know what I'm talking about I still wouldn't recommend getting advice from people on the internet.

Good advise, I will stop by the office tomorrow and ask him.
I can't wait to start feeling good again!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:33 pm 
Tofu Pup

Dunebug- I could have written your entire post, except that my Dr. was not quite as blatantly ignorant. But I am also severely deficient of Vit D (she started me on a prescription megadose supplement for 2 months (50,000 IU once a week), then I will do twice a day over the counter supplements of 2000IU. And I'm also pretty anemic, which does a lot to explain why I've been sick on a monthly basis for the past 8 months, have the heavy limbs, tingling in my fingers and toes, and terrible fatigue. She also started me on iron supplements (SloFe) daily. She also correctly identified chronic sleep deprivation as an issue, so she prescribed some Ambien and asked me to pick a few days a week where I go to bed a few hours early (with the assistance of the Ambien) to try to refill my sleep deficit.

Interestingly, just like you, my Vitamin B12 is perfectly fine. I take a supplement spray for that.

I can't wait to start feeling better too. Now that I have a diagnosis and a plan of action, I'm impatient to get my energy back. But mostly, I'm just so glad I seem to have a problem that is easily remedied. What a relief.

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2