| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:07 am 
Offline
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9602
Location: Seattle
Books?! Unless they're about sausage or motorcycles, we're not interested.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:15 am 
Offline
rowdily playing checkers
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 3004
I would never impugn my father's manliness by suggesting that there was something he wanted or needed that wasn't already his through the mixing of his sweat with raw materials, or by implying that it's even possible to own something that you didn't kill or tame or rip out of the ground yourself. Every year I get him the best present of all, the only present that says "I express my love to you though respectful indifference, not that we would ever talk about it": nothing.

Put that on a card, and then burn the card, and then smear the ashes on your face and kill something beautiful.

_________________
"Tits are inconsequential, but someone pass me that kitten" ~ papayapaprikás


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:19 am 
Offline
rowdily playing checkers
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 3004
Wait, "smear" is not a very manly word. It reminds me too much of lady tests.

Enfilthen. Enfilthen your face with ashes.

_________________
"Tits are inconsequential, but someone pass me that kitten" ~ papayapaprikás


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:20 am 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5564
Location: A New England
just mumbles wrote:
Wait, "smear" is not a very manly word. It reminds me too much of lady tests.
Very true. {{SHUDDER}}}
just mumbles wrote:
Enfilthen. Enfilthen your face with ashes.
Much better!
coldandsleepy wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
And I guess it begs the question, "if a man isn't a "real man" what is he?"

A woman! Which is the worst.

Oh for serious. I would absolutely die.
My partner is vegan, hates action movies, doesn't know or care anything about cars, sports, or comic books, and has a PhD in medieval literature. Does this mean that I am a lesbian?
just mumbles wrote:
Wait, "smear" is not a very manly word. It reminds me too much of lady tests.
Very true. {{SHUDDER}}}
just mumbles wrote:
Enfilthen. Enfilthen your face with ashes.
Much better!

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:37 am 
Offline
rowdily playing checkers
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 3004
I'm a vegan because I'm afraid I might accidentally eat dick meat, I hate action movies because there's too much talking, I built my own car out of iron that I smelted myself through trial and error, the only sport I watch is NASCAR because it doesn't involve sweaty men getting grabby with each other, I only read Steve Ditko's manliest comic (Mr. A, Rex Graine, the manliest name ever), and I learned my trade at the school of hard punches (home of the Punchin' Possums) [unaccredited].

_________________
"Tits are inconsequential, but someone pass me that kitten" ~ papayapaprikás


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:38 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 5255
Location: Gallifrey
All my poppy ever wants as gifts from me is peanuts. He's not a real man, he's an elephant.

_________________
"...anarchists only want to burn cars and punch cops."- nickvicious
"We'll be eating our own words 30 years from now when we're demanding our legislators outlaw aerosol-based cyber dildo-wielding death holograms."- Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:55 pm 
Offline
Has Isa on speed dial
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:00 pm
Posts: 80
lavawitch wrote:
FootFace wrote:
Chewbacca didn't use a lightsaber, so I'm totally confused.


Kid. Halloween. Something that lights up to wave around!
Chewbacca had a lightsaber but didn’t use it often because it could only operate on the stun setting, which isn’t useful against Cylons, that’s why he used his sonic screwdriver instead.

I hope that clears things up.

“May the Force, boldly go where it’s bigger on the inside! So say we all!”
-- Chewbacca


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:00 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: NC
FootFace wrote:
Books?! Unless they're about sausage or motorcycles, we're not interested.


What about if they're full of pictures, like Spiderman. That's okay, right?

Also, what the fizzle is up with tie cakes? One of these father's days I'm going to make him a tie cake because he doesn't own a single tie (although I do...what does that make me?) so I figure I may as well make an edible one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:30 pm 
Offline
Lime and a Coconut
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am
Posts: 3672
Location: Smugville, CA
There's a really lovely vegan restaurant in my area that does a special meal for both mother's day and father's day. The mother's day is a brunch, the father's day is "burgers and beer." At mother's day the alcohol was on the side, but on father's day it's half of the menu, because Men Drink Beer.

I would really love to treat my dad to this restaurant like I treated my mom, but he's an alcoholic. Guess he's not a Real Man.

_________________
Crazy rating: Double plus crazytown bananapants ~Jordanpattern
Too much woo, you guys. Too much woo ~Tofulish
Sews Before Bros


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:47 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nooch
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:51 pm
Posts: 136
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I would really love to treat my dad to this restaurant like I treated my mom, but he's an alcoholic. Guess he's not a Real Man.


I disagree with your interpretation. It seems to me that the problem is that he's too much of a Real Man. He's so manly it's dangerous.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:57 am 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 2268
Location: Wet and Windy Wiltshire
just mumbles wrote:
the only sport I watch is NASCAR because it doesn't involve sweaty men getting grabby with each other
My only contributing part in any sports conversation is "I like the bit in rugby where all the men jump on top of each other".
Desdemona wrote:
just mumbles wrote:
Wait, "smear" is not a very manly word. It reminds me too much of lady tests.
Very true. {{SHUDDER}}}
Poppycock. You can smear semen on lots of things. And try doing that without a man's assistance.

But yeah, this is pretty dumb. I think men's issues can get trampled on because men aren't allowed to complain about gender issues without being called sexist by some extremist shouting that women have it worse (and sadly the ones with the loudest voices are the ones people here the most), regardless of the fact that just because women get discriminated against sometimes, it doesn't mean that men don't. If anyone would like to feel good about maleness after this silliness, I urge you to head over to the Good Men Project, which is a blog about men's body issues, gender issues and fatherhood issues and is generally a good read.

_________________
dropscone - "Ack, I'm no help, I just like to imagine as many people as possible eating roast potatoes."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:03 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:15 am
Posts: 1534
Err...yeah, the Good Men Project doesn't make me feel good about maleness, or anything else really.
http://www.hugoschwyzer.net/2011/12/21/ ... n-project/

They did something else that I found problematic, but I'm having trouble remembering what it was.

Also - I don't think most feminists have an issue with acknowledging that patriarchy harms men in various ways. The issue a lot of feminists have (from my perspective) is that some men will try to use these things to derail conversations about women's issues, or they will refuse to see how some of men's issues are a direct result of misogyny. I see what you mean, though, and I would like for feminists to remember to be more inclusive. Supporting men doesn't have to be to the detriment of women.

_________________
"One time I meant to send a potential employer a resume, but I accidentally sent them a bucket of puke!

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:09 pm 
Offline
Chip Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:37 pm
Posts: 998
Location: Oaktizzle
just mumbles wrote:
I would never impugn my father's manliness by suggesting that there was something he wanted or needed that wasn't already his through the mixing of his sweat with raw materials, or by implying that it's even possible to own something that you didn't kill or tame or rip out of the ground yourself.

Real men break wild animals, they don't tame them.

_________________
Goddamn that Rick Santorum has a pretty mouth. -sameness


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:21 pm 
Offline
rowdily playing checkers
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm
Posts: 3004
Imitation Of Chris wrote:
Real men break wild animals, they don't tame them.

::nods almost imperceptibly::

_________________
"Tits are inconsequential, but someone pass me that kitten" ~ papayapaprikás


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:24 pm 
Offline
ugh
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 2631
Location: north of Boston, MA, USA
Quote:
Err...yeah, the Good Men Project doesn't make me feel good about maleness, or anything else really.
http://www.hugoschwyzer.net/2011/12/21/ ... n-project/

To be fair, Hugo Schwyzer is also awful.

_________________

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:34 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:15 am
Posts: 1534
b.vicious wrote:
Quote:
Err...yeah, the Good Men Project doesn't make me feel good about maleness, or anything else really.
http://www.hugoschwyzer.net/2011/12/21/ ... n-project/

To be fair, Hugo Schwyzer is also awful.

Oh, definitely, to me that's why it's even more striking that he felt the need to step down.

_________________
"One time I meant to send a potential employer a resume, but I accidentally sent them a bucket of puke!

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:53 pm 
Offline
Fair trade, organic mistletoe
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 3507
Location: Toronto
Gulliver wrote:
But yeah, this is pretty dumb. I think men's issues can get trampled on because men aren't allowed to complain about gender issues without being called sexist by some extremist shouting that women have it worse (and sadly the ones with the loudest voices are the ones people here the most), regardless of the fact that just because women get discriminated against sometimes, it doesn't mean that men don't. If anyone would like to feel good about maleness after this silliness, I urge you to head over to the Good Men Project, which is a blog about men's body issues, gender issues and fatherhood issues and is generally a good read.

In my experience, the people who are having the most conversations about the ways that patriarchy limits men and masculine performance are feminists (of all genders).

And, honestly, I'm going to come right out here and say it. Yes, patriarchal gender shiitake hurts men. It hurts men a lot a lot a lot. However, to say that women "are discriminated against sometimes" or that it's hard to tell who has it worse is, to me, bizarre and downright offensive.

Men are not making 70 cents to the dollar. Men are not making up 80% of the poor. Men are not having their bodily autonomy stripped away from them. Men are not experiencing the vast, vast, vast majority of intimate violence.

That doesn't mean that men in a forked up capitalist patriarchy are rolling in roses (or, uh, meat?), or that binarized gender expectations don't cause immense amounts of pain. But I do think it's disingenuous to pretend that patriarchal forces disadvantage men and women equally. If they did, well, it wouldn't be the patriarchy.

_________________
"I'd rather have dried catshit! I'd rather have astroturf! I'd rather have an igloo!"~Isa

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:11 am 
Offline
The Real Hamburger Helper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 2268
Location: Wet and Windy Wiltshire
j-dub wrote:
That doesn't mean that men in a forked up capitalist patriarchy are rolling in roses (or, uh, meat?), or that binarized gender expectations don't cause immense amounts of pain. But I do think it's disingenuous to pretend that patriarchal forces disadvantage men and women equally. If they did, well, it wouldn't be the patriarchy.
Oh, I agree entirely, but that doesn't mean both sides can't work to empower both sides to empower each other.

_________________
dropscone - "Ack, I'm no help, I just like to imagine as many people as possible eating roast potatoes."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:58 am 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:15 pm
Posts: 384
Location: San Diego
Cracked.com did an article on this topic recently. Comments and whatnot.
http://www.cracked.com/article_19758_th ... o-men.html

_________________
"this thread needs some Robyn" - smoothie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:18 pm 
Offline
Venomous Head of Veganism
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 8592
I thought this thread was going to be about me.

_________________
"You guys are a little bit fast to identify as not-mumbles. " ~ mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:22 pm 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:31 pm
Posts: 1435
Was the DK ad even serious? To me it looks like a parody of what Real Men supposedly want.

solipsistnation wrote:
Wouldn't looking at a book of sausages be, you know, kind of gay?

Let me know when there's a book of donuts for me to peruse. (Or bagels. I like Jewish girls too.)


What if the donuts are all Long Johns with cream filling?

_________________
Again, you are all brilliant and sexy. And I am lavender-laden and secure in my masculinity. - Sir Brancis Facon

bird noises | book of faces


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Real men
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:30 pm 
Offline
Plays The Sims 2 religiously
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 pm
Posts: 7465
Location: Portland, OR
bunniee wrote:
What if the donuts are all Long Johns with cream filling?

Yes please.

_________________
i would schmear marmite on a moist scrotum for Mars. - interrobang?!
"Not everything." ~ mumbles (1973-2013) - mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ariann, hoveringdog and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer