| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 3 weeks in Thailand, Laos & Cambodia
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:34 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Okay, vegan food was definitely around Vientiane, but it was difficult to find! The one veggie buffet (they said vegan, but who knows with some of the faux meats served) we hit up, Cross. b' Vegetarian was nearby the riverfront, after 2 other long journeys seeking the buffets with more internet reviews. It was okay, especially after a really sad meal at Vegetarians in the Golden Age and lacking meals in Udon Thani. The non-named side alleys there are fascinating guessing games! You can definitely find vegan options on Western, Indian and Lebanese menus, too, if you ask around into butter/dairy. I had baba ganouj for dinner one night at a Belgian beer garden.

I'm on my third Cambodian city now - Sihanoukville, and remain charmed. And can't stop drinking coconuts.

Angkor Wat (and a few other surrounding temples my tuk tuk driver took me to) was just so impressionable. I watched the sunset there my first night (which is free).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:33 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I'm going to be in Thailand this month!!! So excited.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:35 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

My Zoetrope wrote:
This will be a pretty super-awesome trip! I haven't been (yet!), but I'm really hope to go to Thailand and surrounding areas some day.

Some things I have discovered:

Awesome sounding restaurant with multiple locations (buffet/dinner party on saturdays at the Bangkok location!) and some interesting looking vegan cooking classes (the one that takes you to the market to shop for Thai spices sounds awesome): http://www.maykaidee.com/

Don't know how up to date this is, but good recommendations to look into: http://www.theveggiebus.org/bangkok.html

Man-made and natural wonders of Thailand: http://www.7thaiwonders.com/man-made-
wonders

I read this blog and love their photos. They are not vegan (and show lots of non-vegan food), but they take beautiful photographs, tell good stories, have been many places, and do lots of non-touristy things: http://mrmrsglobetrot.blogspot.com/p/wh ... en_05.html

Wow, thank you for all of the information!!! Great resources. I'm excited to check out Bangkok next month!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:44 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

jealous!! I want to go back so bad, especially to southern Cambodia. and everywhere.

for what it's worth, I found Bangkok's subway system so easy to use. definitely take a cooking class at May Kaidee's Khao San Road location if you can - so much amazing food - it was the most expensive meal I had in Thailand, by far, but the most extensive and a really, nice social experience. It was my last day of a month of travel and quite a finale. plus, it's the location she's usually at and May is such a personality. I miss Thailand so much.
from our trip to the market:

one of the three curries we made, green:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:52 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

jdfunks wrote:
jealous!! I want to go back so bad, especially to southern Cambodia. and everywhere.

for what it's worth, I found Bangkok's subway system so easy to use. definitely take a cooking class at May Kaidee's Khao San Road location if you can - so much amazing food - it was the most expensive meal I had in Thailand, by far, but the most extensive and a really, nice social experience. It was my last day of a month of travel and quite a finale. plus, it's the location she's usually at and May is such a personality. I miss Thailand so much.
from our trip to the market:

one of the three curries we made, green:

Oh my gosh that looks amazing!!! We will for sure have to check that out. Thank you for the information!

I see you are from Portland! My husband lived their for 8 years. It's one of my all time favorite places :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:12 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I'm in Bangkok now and we're going to Mai Kaidee's tonight! So excited :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:22 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Where's the 'like' button? Love Bangkok! If you're ever in the outskirts a bit, try one of the SPA Foods chains (they're on HappyCow). A bit different feel from Mai Kaidees, but really fun and full of veg versions of more unusual Thai dishes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:34 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Ok I will for sure have to check those out. Thank you!! HappyCow is such an awesome resource, I'd be lost without it!