PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:55 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

The Seed – A Vegan Experience

Saturday June 16th, 10am – 7pm
Sunday June 17th, 10am - 5pm

82 Mercer Street, 2nd Floor
Between Spring & Broome Street
New York City, 10012

It seems like a vegan conference, product fair sort of thing.

I have no affiliation, just heard about it through vegan Internet grape vine and thought it odd there didn’t seem to be any buzz around here. Unless I’m blind and I’m missing that post.

Two-day admission for $30 doesn’t sound too bad at all. Or pick a day for half price.

Quite a few vegan “rock stars” giving talks and maybe there’s a chance to meet in them in person.

So who’s going?

Post subject: Re: The Seed – A Vegan Experience, June 16th-17th
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:13 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I'll be there! I'm presenting a demo on alternative methods for making vegan ice cream, ie, without an ice cream machine. As long as I can get a freezer in the demo space, that is....

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:43 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Bittersweet is in, so that’s one! She’ll be giving away free vegan ice cream!

(Okay, she didn’t say that, but that’s what I heard.)

JLgoesVegan started another thread, which is amusing because the title is so similar to this one. So that’s two PPKer attending.

To be honest, I haven’t even quite committed to attending yet. There’s a couple celebs that I want to see, and the price of entry is right. Also, got to support the vegan community and all that too.

All excited, I brought it up to my partner, she was like, “meh,” and kind of deflated my enthusiasm. I’m the one plugged into the vegan Internet community (podcasts, blogs, forums) while she’s not, so she doesn’t have a strong reason to want to go.

As there are at least two PPKer actually in the event, that’s another reason for myself, and all you NYC PPKers reading this, to attend.

Come on NYC PPKers, represent!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:13 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'd be down for going! Don't think I can pull both days, but would be able to do at least one. Which one do you plan on going to? I'd love to also go with someone, and my partner might not be here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:00 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I may pop by on Sunday!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:22 pm 
FAYGO

I'll be at the Sea Shepherd table Sunday!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:45 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

The Seed is this weekend!

Sorry for not getting back to this thread sooner but I had to figure out my own plans for the event, make sure I have no conflicts, decide what day to go, etc.

I’ve decided to attend both days basically because there are two speakers I want to see on each day.

I brought it up with my partner again and at first she was like, “What’s The Seed?” completely forgetting our prior discussion. I told her again what it was and that I was planning to go and she kind of got interested. I also mentioned that one of our friends might be interested in attending. She asked her, and she’s very interested, so that brings me up to a group of three, but I’m not so sure that my partner and friend are interested in going both days. I definitely will do both days.

So, fauxfrancais (or anyone else), if you are still interested in meeting up, speak up now. I’m all about meeting new peeps.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:24 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Sorry for starting the second thread! I searched before I started a new topic #searchfail.

I will be there! I'm moderating the vegan blogging panel Saturday morning. Looking forward to meeting some of you!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:54 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Aw, JLgoesVegan. I was planning to listen to what Rich Roll had to say so I’m going to miss your panel that will be taking place at the same time.

I will make a point to see BitterSweet in action since I want to know how to make vegan ice cream without an ice cream maker. Plus, I didn’t realize she was famous until I clicked through her forum signature.

I’ll be wearing a pick button-down shirt on Saturday because nothing says “joyful vegan” like a pink button-down shirt. Also I want to look presentable in case I get the chance to shake hands with some vegan celebrities (though I’ll leave my top hat at home). So in case anyone reading this spots a tall-ish dude in a pink button-down shirt milling around at The Seed, that will be me.

Come up and say “Hello,” and we’ll do the PPK handshake as soon as I figure out what that is.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:13 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Citizen Ritson wrote:
Come up and say “Hello,” and we’ll do the PPK handshake as soon as I figure out what that is.

I will look for you!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:17 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

there's a groupon deal if you hadn't gotten your tickets yet.
One ($10) or Two ($19) Tickets to The Seed: A Vegan Experience (convention) on Sat., June 16 or Sun., June 17 - http://www.groupon.com/deals/the-seed-a ... =uu5415349

unfortunately there is no option for multi-day tickets, but you can just have someone else get the other day with their groupon account.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:35 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

The Groupon discount was PMed to me by fauxfrancais which I used for both days. Thanks fauxfrancais!

You just have to purchase Saturday and then Sunday one at a time. No, you can’t group them in a purchase, you actually have to go through the purchase process for the second ticket like you never bought the first one, but it works out just fine in the end.

I’ve got my printed tickets ready!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:09 pm 

oh! good to know. (i saw the "1 per person" and assumed they'd not let you get a second purchase.)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:50 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'll be there today but I forgot to buy my ticket. dangit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:56 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

So who went?

What did you think?

What was awesome? What was, not so awesome? (Be gentle.)

I don’t have a blog, so I’m going to blog here, even though I’m not really supposed to. I feel warranted because The Seed was a special occasion, and I’m still running on post vegan experience excitement fumes. I’ll put my accounting in spoiler tags to contain it so if you don’t want to read a wall of text you don’t have to unless you click to do so. Hopefully someone will find it interesting.

Day 1
Spoiler: show
I never did properly coordinate with fauxfrancis. My partner and I got there late. There was a huge line going around the block. “OMG! Are all these people vegan?!?” Cinnamon Snail and Miami Vegan truck (who apparently drove from Miami) was out front, so the somewhat long wait in line was easily mitigated with coffee and snacks.

Made it for half or Rich Roll’s speech that I guess started late because it was supposed to be over by time I got in. I assume they had some teething problems with ticket sales and entry in the beginning; lot’s of scanning of Google and Groupon barcodes and such. Once inside, it was this huge gorgeous loft-ish, commercial space held up by painted black columns framed with exposed brick walls that segmented the area into massive thirds. Once you walked through one portion, you’d realize there was whole other wing, and repeat that to realize that there was a whole other section.

Rich Roll was fine. Eat well, train, be awesome, repeat. I’m not so convinced of the importance of being gluten free or of alkaline theory of diet. But whatever, he’s an ultra marathoner and I’m not, so he can do whatever he wants. My partner and I were chuckling about what he ate for breakfast and post work-out. He would have a “Vitamix” for this, than a “Vitamix” for that, implying different concoctions of juices, but it sounded more like some pill or formula. “What would you like for breakfast?” “I’ll have a Vitamix!” We’ll be saying this for months.

Jasmine Singer and Marianne Sullivan of Our Hen House was up. It was a vegan 101 talk, so not so relevant to us. My partner, didn’t really know who they were, and she was getting antsy so we went to check out JLgoesVegan’s panel on vegan blogging.

We caught JLgoesVegan in the middle of her panel talk. I wanted to wait around until she finished to do a meet and greet but my partner got fidgety and wanted to move on again.

Seats in front of the stages were limited, so there was lots of standing around going on. Also, the stages were in open spaces with all the adjacent booth chaos going on around (and Vitamix demo guy Vitamixing! Whrrrrrrrrrr!) so there was a constant cacophony of noise. If you were standing on the edge of a talk, it took will power to stay focused. Between my partner’s usual short attention span and having to stand, she found it difficult to be patient.

We walked around the booths and such. Vegans sure eat a lot of chocolate and drink a lot of juice. Pretty much everyone you would expect to be there was there especially if you know the local vegan scene. Vegan Bodega dude was there, whose name I really should know. Bought some vegan caviar from him. Faux Gras people were there, was going to buy some, but then they showed us a list of where to get it, and they actually sell it at right at out local health food store. Sea Sheapard was there, I bought a T-Shirt because they look so bad-ass with that Jolly Rogers skull logo. Nice quality shirt too.

My partner was mesmerized by the Vitamix booth even though we own a Vitamix. The presentation alternated between making a green smoothie and making a (nacho?) soup. “I didn’t know you could make soup? She said. “Yes, we know this,” I said. Our friend who lives from her Vitamix (seriously), suggested we get one, told us that she could make soup, blend it long enough and it heats up. Partner really wanted to get home to play with her Vitamix after the demo.

We went outside to get coffee, partner wanted to shop a little in the area (see what I’m dealing with?) and we came back. Went to get a drink of water and Colleen Patrick-Goudreau was near the water fountain chatting with some fans so we stalked her to get a turn. I was about to leave her alone because she was due to speak next, but she called us over to meet and greet. I’m a big fan, and I’ve given my partner a listen to choice episodes of her podcast, so she knew who she was as well. Needless to say, Colleen and her husband were pleasant to meet.

Partner and I decided to get seats this time to be comfortable during Colleens talk. I’m wasn’t expecting much, because it’s billed as a vegan 101 talk, about how not to be an excuse-itarian. We don’t have much difficulty being vegan, not food wise anyway, so it’s not really a talk for us, but whatever, may as well see how it goes.

Patrick-Goudreau gets up on stage and becomes this inspirational tsunami. She’s up there, no notes, no slide show, just pure unadulterated Colleen, and we’re both riveted. I’ve heard everything Colleen has ever had to say on her podcast so nothing was new, and maybe she’s given this speech a thousand times before, maybe we’re just uncritical star struck fans, but wow, she was on fire. She was funny too, which I wasn’t expecting, at times when it wasn’t Martin Luther Queen, it felt like HBO comedy slam with that brick wall behind her and the command she had over the mike and audience. I even caught my partner giving the “That’s right, sister,” nod a couple times.

We left Colleen with goose bumps; in awe and renewed. Everything old was new again. We gleaned a few new Colleen catch phrases, “If you don’t have time to be sick, you’d better make time to be healthy!” “People say they want to make a difference, but to do so, they’re probably going to have to, you know, be different!” After such a speech we felt emboldened in our veganism.

But really, it wasn’t so much what she said, like I mentioned, I heard most of it from her before; it was how she said it, with fire in her belly. And we were just talking to her not ten minutes before, all tra-la la and casual, then she just gets up there like a woman on a mission. It was like watching mild Bruce Banner Hulk-out into an unstoppable vegan motivational speaker!

“Colleen SMASH puny excuse-itarian arguments!”

We poked around some more. We checked out Bittersweet’s ice cream demo but missed the beginning, Bittersweet finished up but partner was getting restless again. If I were on my own I would have hung around to meet both Bittersweet and JLgoesVegan after their talks, but I had to keep moving along. We left after that, may partner was done, though I did want to check out Dr Furhman to see what he was all about.

Day Two
Late again so I missed the first talk. No giant line this time and the city was quieter on the whole for Father’s Day. I went solo for this day. I had another friend who was interested in going on Sunday, but she bailed via text message.

First up was Dr Michael Greger. I was more impressed than I thought I would have been. I tend to be skeptical of health claims of any sorts these days, and while Dr. Greger isn’t out there on the health woo spectrum, I listened and sort of made mental notes to follow up on ideas in my spare time rather that accept them wholesale from one lecture. He was very engaging, very funny, looking sharp in his suit and green tie, and his slide show wasn’t boring to look at.

Kathy Freston was up, and I’m not at all her target audience, but I wanted to get a feel for what she was all about. Like it or not she represents veganism in the mainstream, so best to gain an understanding of her approach. Jasmine Singer was doing the interview, since Freston likes that format instead of giving lectures. Freston’s talk was supposed to be yet another vegan 101 style to plug her latest weight-loss book. Again, a weight-loss book doesn’t have much to offer me. However, she was smart enough to ask at the beginning of the discussion how many people in the audience were vegan. Something like 90% of hands went up and the stage seating/standing area, and it was full. So she kept that in mind that she was preaching to the choir and tailored he responses accordingly.

This helped a lot, because I think we got a side of Freston that we wouldn’t necessarily witness on a mainstream venue like Oprah. Nothing major, but just nuances in recounting trials most vegans face in a non-vegan world that non-vegans wouldn’t really identify with. In a mixed audience she may have been more diplomatic in her responses, but here she was free to express her vegan self. I’m still not her target audience, but I’m less concerned about Freston’s vegan motivations now. She “gets it” in the way that matters and she’s acutely aware that she’s catering to a mainstream audience where there is little place for being judgmental or overly critical, and that’s fine by me. Plus I didn’t hear her say the word “quantum” once.

Now I became my partner and I was getting antsy, so I went to check out stage B where there was a presentation of traveling as a vegan. Carolyn Scott-Hamilton had some crazy cool tips about cooking on hotel irons and making hummus in the ice bucket, but I missed some of the details in the beginning, so I may have to check out her blog to improve my vegan travel-fu.

Brendan Brazier was up next and drew a massive crowd. It was Freston’s crowd, and then a bunch of guys lined up in the back standing rows. Brazier has more brand recognition the Rich Roll with VEGA and such. I’ve heard Brazier in interviews, so nothing that new. It got me thinking about recovery because Brazier and Roll made similar points and I’ve been ramping up my distance running, so I’ll see what I can to with the information they gave out.

Same deal with the gluten and alkaline thing. Still not convinced, but again, I’m not a competitive ultra-marathoner. Maybe there’s something to it for athletes who are pushing the thresholds of performance and every minor optimization makes a difference, but I’m not convince especially since Brazier was going into the whole link with osteoporosis and acid load for meat-eaters that isn’t all that strong. I just worry that mere mortal vegans hear this and think they need to be gluten-free and concerned about acidity levels of food. It complicates veganism, and it may be out right bunk or just not relevant to someone who can eat gluten just fine.

James McWilliams was up and he was the main reason I threw in day two. I had to get a seat for this one; my legs were getting numb. Not as many people turned out for McWilliams so not only did I have a seat, but I could spread out, legs crossed, arm across the back of the chair next to me. That was a shame that he wasn’t drawing a bigger crowd, but it filled in a little more once he got started. If you follow McWilliams’ blog, nothing all that new, but again, I was there to experience these speakers live, get a better feel on their vibes that you can’t get through audio or YouTube.

McWilliams ran with a speech from his MacBook, but was able to deliver it in a professional manner and you could tell that the speech was constantly updated since he said referenced things that just happened a couple days ago (i.e. Foer’s chicken video). A solid talk, you could tell that McWilliams is an educator and yeah, he’s another man on a mission, though he’s not interested in building things up, he’s into tearing things down, foodie happy meat shenanigans in particular, which is fine by me. After his talk I hung around to shake hands, introduce myself, etc. Mission accomplished.

I attempted to hang around some more, but I was done. I had made the rounds to all of the booths and had seen pretty much everything I came to see.

Wrap up thoughts and miscellanea
While at the Seed I did run into a few local vegans I had recently made acquaintances at Vegan Drinks and local vegan stores, and even a random vegan-on-the-street I saw that morning while running in Central Park (he’s easy to notice, so I introduced myself, “Hey, you’re that guy!”), so that was all cool.

I wore my pink shirt on day one, but nobody came up to me inquiring if I was Citizen Ritson. There was one other big dude in a pink button down shirt, but his shirt was lighter and he was wearing a black cap, so if you approached him thinking he was me, it wasn’t. Perhaps I need to pick up a PPK t-shirt for future events.

I was looking around for a person with a carrot head, but I didn’t see any such person, sorry I missed you supercarrot.

I brought my camera to snap some pictures, but realized that I left the battery in the charger back at work. Too bad, because I could have taken pictures and posted them on my blog commenting on how sickly everyone attending looked. (That’s just a joke with a reference).

I skipped the movie screenings because I can watch stuff at home and I came to see live things, but that area was always full of people watching, so it was worthwhile for other people.

Speaking to one guy on break from manning a booth (a new vegan acquaintance!), he mentioned to me that there were a lot of out-of-towners, which makes sense, but I didn’t think about it until he mentioned it. I should have posted the Seed announcement thread in a general area like the Foyer, not the NYC Forum. Also, plenty of the people he spoke to didn’t know about landmark vegan places in the city, places we assume vegans would know about through osmosis or something.

So a good experience. I will probably attend next year. It was a no brainer for $20, and even at the full $30 price tag for two days, still a great value. I wouldn’t mind some deeper lectures, maybe on vegan history or psychology of veganism, or something more nerdy that I haven’t even thought of, but this event wasn’t intended to be an animal rights conference where I’m sure topics can be weighty. It seemed to cater to new comers to veganism, which is fine.

Oh, maybe it could use a band though, Propaghandi, Dead Prez, Earth Crisis, Beloved Binge, Macka B. Someone to finish off the evening with a short set of vegan hits or just vegan created music, even a group I never heard of would be fine. Maybe even charge an extra ten bucks for charity or something. The space is already booked may as well have an all out bash. (I’ll be at my armchair supervising if anyone needs any help organizing that).

What really drew me to the Seed was that it was a vegan event, not a vegetarian or veggie one, and the vegan turn out was impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:20 pm 

Citizen Ritson wrote:
I was looking around for a person with a carrot head, but I didn’t see any such person, sorry I missed you supercarrot.

haha! sorry. i should have made it more clear that i wasn't attending. i stayed in south jersey for the weekend. (it takes a lot to get me to spend the exorbitant travel fees to get to NYC.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:13 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Citizen, I really wanted to commit to going to either this event or vegan drinks, but between the two events I got a puppy and for the first, I was ill. I hope we can meet at the next vegan drinks!