| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: We were going to rescue a stray but now he has leukemia.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:00 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

This little black fuzzbutt has been wandering around our yard trying to make friends with my cats, who largely ignore him. After a few days of coaxing, we finally got him to come inside and took him to the vet only to find that he tested positive for FeLV. Wyvern and I had hoped to adopt him, but we won't have our own place for a few more months, which means the kitten would have to stay with my parents until then--and they already have two cats who we don't want to catch the virus.

Right now we're trying to find a home for him, but I know how hard it is to find a home for a special needs cat. Not only is he FeLV+, he's also rather feral. So there's no guarantee that he'll ever be friendly or healthy. PPK, I just want to cry.

edited for photo fixing

Post subject: Re: We were going to rescue a stray but now he has leukemia.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:05 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Louzilla, I'm sorry! That really is an impossible situation. Kitty is so adorable!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:25 pm 
Naked Under Apron

awww, i'm sorry, Louzilla. that is a tough situation, indeed.

is there a way for your parents to confine him to a room in their house until you and Wyvern get your own place? this way he won't infect their cats. i want to say if their cats have had the FeLV vaccine and the little feral black kitteh has his own room in their home they should be okay.

i hope you find someone to take him though!

we rescued a feral kitteh i found in a storm drain 5 years ago. we worked with her when she was just a kitten (wrapped her up in towels to make a "kitteh burrito" so she could not scratch us and petted her a ton and held her all the time) and eventually she came around. granted, it took her 3 years to get where she is now, but these days she's a lap cat. it's awesome.

i hope everything works out for the little feral black kitteh. my fingers are crossed that it does!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:41 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Has he been serum tested or just blood tested? Make sure he has both done. Sometimes a blood test will come back positive, but a serum test (which is more reliable) will be negative and then he should be fine! Also, since he's so young, there is a chance for him to "grow out" of it. That's obviously not the right term, but there is a chance that he won't have it forever. I volunteer weekly on the cat rescue team for a rescue group here in Austin and deal with FelV+ cats and kittens regularly. Don't give up hope yet! :)

https://www.facebook.com/redrabbitbakery

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:51 pm 
Nailed to the V

There's a center in Hunterdon NJ that has a colony of FeLV. I will try to look up the information. They do adopt them out, too, so it would be easier for them to find a home it I'm sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:48 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks guys. Someone else also recommended serum testing, we're going to look into that tomorrow.

Una, if you do find that information and could FB me it (I check that much more regularly than I remember to check PPK threads...) that would be awesome.

<3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:18 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Update--we're thinking we're going to try to keep him. He's living in my room for now, and I'm trying to move out sooner than originally planned so he can get all settled and not have to worry about my other cats. I talked to a friend who has experience both with ferals and with feleuk, which helped immensely. I've been spending so much time socializing him that we can't imagine giving him up now (and my mom is really excited to be the grandmother of a kitten so she can spoil him). In a few weeks or so I'll be calling a different vet for more testing/second opinion.

For now he seems happy and healthy, running around doing normal kitten stuff--just also really scared still! And most importantly, he needs a name, because Wyvern won't let me name him Severus.