| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tasty vegan products in the Low Countries
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:19 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Jumbo also had more creamers than the EkoPlazas: two by alpro, one by rice dream and one by Oatley. There may have been a macchiato-ish one which I'm forgetting.

Lepelaar: see if you can talk those Belgian grocers into sending those products this way!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:33 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I was under the impression that Jumbo supermarkets were allowed by the management to take on certain products in that specific supermarket if there was enough of an demand for it. So it's probably worth it to inquire about specific products which you'd like to buy there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:49 am 

Awesome! Thanks for the tip, Paloma.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:45 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Hmm... there isn't really a Jumbo convenient to where I live or work. The closest one is about a 20 minute bus ride. Will have to check it out sometime when I'm in the neighborhood.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:51 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I think Jumbo is expanding into our part of the country, so maybe you'll get one near you at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:15 am 

Or maybe you'll all have to visit Groningen/me! <3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:10 am 

But it's so far awaaaaayyy. j/k

That would be fun too! I've never been to Groningen, except to switch trains once.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:49 am 

Where were you going that you had to switch *here*?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:14 am 

Friesland. I was going goosewatching at the Lauwersmeer with our coincidental mutual friend and her parents. (Or rather, I went up there in the car with them and came back with W. on the train. The stop in Groningen was on the way back home, so technically, my answer to your question should be "Amsterdam".)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:28 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

lutin wrote:
Have any of you been to Jumbo recently? Today I went for the first time in, er, 8 or more months. So impressed by their vegan products! They have a line of fairtrade goods which includes amazing passionfruit/mango and pineapple juices. Also, a huge collection of fake meats, 3/4 of which are not only vegan BUT also have a giant V = Vegan sticker on them, so you know. They don't have the Alpro almond milk yet, but they do have the soy macchiato, lots of soy creamers, even blueberry and cranberry-flavored syrup (!). And the amazing hummus I know from the US: sabra.
:-( I went to the Jumbo next to the central train station in Leiden today and the amazing selection of vegan meats has not reached this place yet. They just had some of the regular boring Alpro and Vivera options (which I'll admit are not even available in many other supermarkets). No big V = Vegan sticker either.

They did have lots of fair trade products and a good selection of plant milks (rice and almond dream too), though they were almost sold out. Not so many creamers either, but maybe they were sold out too. I'll keep checking when I'm there to see if it improves.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:11 pm 

How disappointing! Next time I go to the giant Jumbo here, I'll take pictures to prove to you that the awesome things I talked about really do exist. There are 3 in the area. The newest/closest to me is seriously disappointing. But the other two are great! I hope buyers like theirs move your way soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:13 pm 

I went back to the giant Jumbo today, and this time actually read the ingredients on all of the labels. (There were too many people there last time.) Sigh. Only the Alpro Soy products are vegan, and they have a huge (V! It's Vegan!) label on the side, where the ingredients are listed. I was impressed because I've never seen them before AND they have such a huge selection. Seriously, easily 1/3 of the giant fake meats fridge.

I personally don't like Alpro Soy milks, or yogurt, but they have something like 6 new flavors in each. There's an Alpro Soy/Provomel section in the dairy, and then, on the eco-aisle, Oatley and a bunch of the other usual EkoPlaza brands. That's where the good not.creamers are.

Also, vegan teacakes in several flavors, Essene bread, sunflower-seed based pate (by Esta, in the usual flavors), organic flours, the cheapest/best maple syrup I've seen in the area, blueberry and cranberry sauce (mixed with maple syrup), maple sugar (!) and quinoa. In the frozen fridges, they have bio fruits and vegan apple pie turnovers in a red box which the vegan prof. swears by (no E numbers or anything).

The selection really varies from store to store - there are 3 in Groningen. The giant is one is great, 1 is pretty good and the other sucks. All, however, carry soya ijs (vanilla or chocolate), which is sweet but has a nice texture, and the crazy/dangerous robuuste koeken.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:49 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

That definitely sounds good. There is a giant Jumbo near where my parents live, so I'll try to go there when I visit them.

The Leiden Jumbo also had some stuff from the Vivera 100% plantaardig line, which can be recognised from the blue 100% plantaardig (=plant based) label on the upper right corner of the package. They have vegetarian and organic vegetarian products too (with red Vega and a green 100% biologisch labels).
Of the 100% plantaardig products, I really like the falafel and the spicy bean burger (too bad the Leiden Jumbo didn't have those). The roerbakreepjes and roerbakstukjes are okay too, but they're basically just re-hydrated TVP, which I can make a lot cheaper myself. The spiced version has too much cinnamon and nutmeg for my taste, it reminds me a little of speculaas cookies, not so great for a meat alternative.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:36 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

lutin wrote:
How disappointing! Next time I go to the giant Jumbo here, I'll take pictures to prove to you that the awesome things I talked about really do exist. There are 3 in the area. The newest/closest to me is seriously disappointing. But the other two are great! I hope buyers like theirs move your way soon.

Yes, pictures! Please! Will neer to check out the nearest Jumbo here in Utrecht! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:08 am 

The Carrefour pickle flavored chips are accidentally vegan! Whoohoo! I love pickle chips and have been looking for vegan ones for a while!

I also bought a liter of the Alpro almond milk today and will report back on how it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:40 am 

Oh, these too, btw:

And there were some jelly-bean like things in the pick and mix candy bin at the Carrefour that appear to be vegan too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:08 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Oooo the cracker things! You can get similar crackers at Action and they're super yummy and cheap!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:14 am 

It's funny. I'm not too into crackers. My omni bf picked those up for himself and he's gotten into checking ingredients on my behalf and said "Hey, I think these are vegan". I checked, and indeedy do, they are, but I still can't get excited about them. Maybe I just need to taste them. I was more psyched about the pickle chips, which I ate waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too quickly.

Oh, and the Alpro almond milk is YUMMMMMYYYY!!! I hadn't yet found an almond milk that I enjoyed drinking straight up, but this.... Whoa!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:17 pm 

I hope it's as amazing as Trader Joe's almond milk. That stuff is seriously dangerous.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:29 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

lepelaar wrote:

Oh, and the Alpro almond milk is YUMMMMMYYYY!!! I hadn't yet found an almond milk that I enjoyed drinking straight up, but this.... Whoa!

Is that cooled or at room temperature? (I bought some this weekend in Belgium myself)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:55 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

In the series of store bought vegan pesto: the Albert Heijn puur&eerlijk organic pesto seems to be vegan!
It's €2,15 for a decent sized jar. I just bought some, so I haven't tried it yet. Might do roasted potatoes and broccoli with cashew cream pesto sauce tomorrow. Nom nom nom!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:12 pm 

Veg_Eric, I drank it chilled from the fridge, although it might also be yummy at room temp. I tend to like my milks quite cold.

Cornelie, good tip! I'll be checking for that next. Today I found those LU cookies you mentioned and bought both varieties. I ate half a pack of the chocolate almond ones tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:06 am 

Impressive, lepelaar! Every time I've bought them, I eat them in one sitting. (Thanks for the pesto tip, cornelie!) (I'm still not sure whether to thank you for the LU cookie tip or not.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:21 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

(Disclaimer: "tasty" might not be the right descriptor for this.)

I had a mini freakout this morning when I got an e-mail back from Durex answering my question as to why I couldn't find their Avanti Ultima (vegan and latex free) anywhere in stores: they've been taken off the market. I quickly sent an e-mail to Vega-life, asking them when they were getting Glydes (they promised!) and their reply was: they've been ordered and we're waiting for the delivery! Vegan condom buying meet-up in Amsterdam?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:14 am 

I'm game. (I'm not in the market for condoms, but I assume any meetup will also including hanging and nomming which I'm always in the market for.)

When were you thinking?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next