| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Touristy stuff that isn't... touristy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My sister and her partner are in NYC at the moment. I'm all jealous and stuff, naturally. They're staying in Greenwich Village.

Any recs for things they can see and do, that aren't 'typical' tourist drawcards? Or touristy, but well, not very touristy? They did the Highline walk and loved it. They're also going to the East Side Tenement Museum.

Also, can the Tofu Xpress thingy be bought in a store in NYC or is it only available online?

Any recs for raw vegan places they can visit? They're not vegan but eat anything and because I drool over the raw vegan blogs where the bloggers live in NYC, I've demanded they go somewhere to eat for me.

Oops should have added this: they're interested in art (doing all the 'big' museums/galleries) but like those little out-of-the-way galleries, stencil art. And the other big interest is archiving/record management. My brother in law is an artist and would probably love to do a little one off life drawing class or something.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Touristy stuff that isn't... touristy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:58 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Perhaps buy a day-pass (if they exist) for public transport and take a Metro to some where and take the bus back to where you started.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:03 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I recommend the Staten Island Ferry. I don't know how 'touristy'/'non touristy' it is considered, but it is a wonderful, scenic ride. And on the Staten Island side there is a beautiful and very moving 9/11 memorial.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:52 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

thanks, I'll pass the info on :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:46 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I love the Cloisters out in Manhattan- all medieval art. I think you can take the A line almost the entire way out there.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:56 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

True, any of the ferry rides can be awesome and very fun for ordinary travel around down/midtown and Brooklyn. Also! PS 1 is a modern art gallery in Queens and there's the MOMA Archives not far from there! Plus the Louis Armstrong house in Corona that is cool if music is also an interest. I also recommend Socrates Sculpture Park's Movie Nights, or a Rooftop Film on many nights. Both programs have websites to check out.

I encourage them to buy raw food from a trusted place! Trust me, there are many shady spaces in Manhattan that operate sub-standard and find loopholes to get around it. With the said, Quintessence is awesome and Pure Food and Wine is top notch (and priced as such) but they both fall in that price point. The Cinnamon Snail truck is a MUST! They're number one on Yelp, so they're more than just vegan food tourism, they're pretty big all around.

ETA: oooh also, there's a new raw vegan chain place opening up in Soho and depending on when they come, that might be a good place to stop as well! I think if they happen to take the 6 train all the way to its end past Brooklyn Bridge, it loops around where theold City Hallstop used to be.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]