| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan nail polish brands
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:19 pm 
WELFARIST!

jessilikewhoa wrote:
Sally Hansen is owned by Coty who test. Sally Beauty Supply don't test. I don't know if the mini Sally Girl polishes are vegan or not, but Sally's Fingerpaints line is vegan.

All WnW polishes are vegan except Fast Dry-How I Met Your Magenta and Fuchsiarama, both contain Shellac.

Thank you so much! I meant Sally Hansen when I said Sally Beauty so I'm glad you figured out I wrote the wrong thing, haha.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:25 pm 
Huffs Nooch

jessilikewhoa wrote:
All WnW polishes are vegan except Fast Dry-How I Met Your Magenta and Fuchsiarama, both contain Shellac.

This is what confuses me and why I haven't bought those two shades.
From WnW FAQs those shade numbers are listed as vegan yet it says shellac on the label.
WnW only indicates carmine as the rogue non-vegan ingredient.

http://wnwbeauty.com/faq.php#12

I can't find any info that indicates a synthetic form of shellac. Does anyone know?

Plus I recently saw shellac as an ingredient on an ELF product (I think it was mascara...not sure), but I know they are all vegan (except for one line of brushes). SO...maybe there is synthetic shellac???

Granted I can live without those two WnW shades but it bugs me (no pun intended)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:31 pm 
WELFARIST!

I don't think ELF is one hundred percent vegan, is it? I'm pretty sure some of their products contain real beeswax.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:33 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

If an ingredient is synthetic, they are required to say so. I would email the company directly and ask, i've been meaning to email ELF because on their website they have a foundation that says beeswax...but they use synthetic beeswax in their foundation so maybe it's just a typo?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:37 pm 
Huffs Nooch

From the ELF website

http://www.eyeslipsface.com/faqs.asp

PRODUCT INFORMATION

Do you test on animals?

We do NOT test on animals or endorse such practices. Our products do not contain animal derived ingredients. Beeswax has been replaced by synthetic beeswax and lanolin has been replaced by Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladinpale-2. We currently support HSUS and are partners with PETA in the Caring Consumer Project. Please see our philosophy page for further explanation on our company.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

WnW might not know that shellac isn't vegan, because they have some products listed as vegan that have beeswax in them (the twist up eyeliners i know for sure, I'm pretty sure there were others I forgot).

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:04 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

mrsbadmouth wrote:
If an ingredient is synthetic, they are required to say so. I would email the company directly and ask, i've been meaning to email ELF because on their website they have a foundation that says beeswax...but they use synthetic beeswax in their foundation so maybe it's just a typo?

Wait, but Deborah Lippmann doesn't say that the guanine is synthetic on the packaging... Uh oh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:07 pm 
Huffs Nooch

jessilikewhoa wrote:
WnW might not know that shellac isn't vegan, because they have some products listed as vegan that have beeswax in them (the twist up eyeliners i know for sure, I'm pretty sure there were others I forgot).

I emailed WnW about the shellac. Will report back if/when I hear anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bastah wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

Wait, but Deborah Lippmann doesn't say that the guanine is synthetic on the packaging... Uh oh

Yeah, I still don't totally believe them on that, which is why I posted the part about using your own discretion about their statement on the list.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:44 pm 
WELFARIST!

I just want to start banging my head onto a desk.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I was updating the companies list for MBM's new beauty blog Oh, Pretty Vegan (coming soon!) and discovered that Peacekeeper use carmine. so not vegan, do not buy. Mea culpa.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:30 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Sportsgirl's Nail It! can be added to the list (if you haven't already added it!)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I haven't, thanks!

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:01 pm 
Chip Strong

Here's another vegan option. They're leaping bunny, and they clearly state that their products are "100% vegetarian" on their about page, and in other places it says "no animal byproducts." They have a bunch of nail treatments sold online, but it looks like their polishes are only sold at DSW, which I guess is why I'd never heard of them. I can't find an ingredient list for the polishes online, so double check if you're going to buy them. All the treatments are vegan, though, unless I missed something.

Now for a question: What does everybody use as a top and base coat? I used Wet and Wild quick dry over Zoya polishes and that turned out to be a bad idea. Looking back at the thread, it appears that Seche Vite is probably vegan (?). I haven't heard much about other top coats.

ETA: I'm looking for a base coat too, if you know of any good ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I use No Miss New Nails Strengthener, then CND Stickey or Orly Bonder as a base coat, and I use CND Speedy as a top coat. It dries pretty fast, but doesn't shrink the polish like Seche Vite or Poshe, not does it get super thick halfway through the bottle like those brands.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i use zoya anchor (base) and armor (top) exclusively, whether i'm using zoya polish, or butter london, or barry m, or a england, or whatevs. :) i also use their fast drops and have great luck with them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Just wanted to share in case people miss my post about this, but Revlon have been moved off of the Peta do not test list onto their do test list because they've been unresponsive on whether they're testing in China or now. Revlon bought Sinful Colors in March of 2011.

Peta have a letter you can sign and send to Revlon asking them to disclose whether they're testing or not.
https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocacy?c ... on&id=4179

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:42 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

are we aware of silky yet? i did a quick search and didn't find anything, so i thought i'd post it here:

http://www.silkypolish.com/

they are 5-free and vegan, but that is all i know!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:09 pm 
Huffs Nooch

So this whole Revlon business has me paranoid now. Well, more paranoid than usual.

I've been so excited about Diamond Cosmetics, the colors, the price, the veganess, etc...but it's hard to find info about them online and their website (at least that I can see) doesn't mention being cruelty-free. But I know they are on the PPK vegan list and others have used them. If it wasn't Sunday, I'd call the company. I know I can call them tomorrow but I kind of need to set my mind at ease today.

Could someone tell me how/why we know they are cruelty-free?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Because they're the company that makes all the polishes the "vegan" companies sell as overpriced boutique brands. Priti NYC and Ginger + Liz are both repackaged Diamond.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:09 pm 
Huffs Nooch

No shiitake? Well that is just too interesting!! Thanks a lot jessilikewhoa.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:18 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

According the the nail blogs that's the case, and the colors are identical, as are the bottles to ones Diamond sells for private labeling. Diamond and Forsythe who make Color Club are the two biggest private label polish manufacturers in the US.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:50 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I spent some time googling the Priti and Ginger and Liz stuff, probably too much time. This is all beginning to make my head hurt.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just got an email back from Diamond Cosmetics. I know the ingredients are vegan from reading them and this is what they said about testing
Code:
Hi Jessi,

Our products and/or ingredients are not tested on animals by us or or suppliers.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:53 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I got an email from them today too! Yep, they specified no testing and said they were vegan friendly. YAY!
DC just became my "go-to, bring home a haul spree" to replace Sinful Colors.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next