| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:40 pm 
Semen Strong

I find it so annoying that all these diapers market themselves as birth to pottytraining, and then don't come near fitting all the sizes they say they do.

The Fuzzibunz advertise that they fit from 8lbs to 35lbs, and they stopped fitting Leela (who is now 18lbs) weeks ago. I gave them to a friend.

I love prefolds and my husband changes them all the time. I think they are less complicated than an AIO if you don't put on a cover but just snappi them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:47 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

littlebear wrote:
These don't have pockets, they are ll one piece, is that what you have? I think if I it anything else in there it won't be long enough, he is really tall and it just barely covers his butt crack, I think if I put any other things in there it would just be more bulky and cover even less.

Yeah, they are all one piece, but the soaker is only attached in back, so I can lay a doubler underneath it.

So true Tofulish, I find it annoying that manufacturers claim that one size fits all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah, mine are attached on both sides. These were supposed to fit up to 35 pounds, Grey is about 23 pounds and they fit in the waist but not the length.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:27 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Agreed. I have Bum Genius 4.0s and at 5 months and 20 pounds he is already on the highest rise. That worries me! I don't want to buy another diaper system. I've been trying to EC but always forget to take him to the potty!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:27 pm 
Semen Strong

mandycoot wrote:
Agreed. I have Bum Genius 4.0s and at 5 months and 20 pounds he is already on the highest rise. That worries me! I don't want to buy another diaper system. I've been trying to EC but always forget to take him to the potty!

Ditto - Leela is 18lbs, and we're on the widest snap (2nd rise), and I can't see how it could last until she is 2. I'm only buying prefolds from here on.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:20 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

well, babies change in build really fast too. tzipi grew out of some things as a baby when she was at her chunkiest, and then they started fitting again when she slimmed down (although overall her weight continued to go up, albeit slowly). leela is close to walking, so i'm betting she'll slim down pretty soon too. their pelvises are pretty tiny, it's just the combo of buddha belly and thigh rolls that make things snug. in diapers, tzipi's been in the highest setting on her one-size covers for well over a year. she's just having another growth spurt and is actually chunking up again, so they are for real not going to fit soon, but she's almost 2 1/2.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:33 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Yeah, Walter was bursting at the seams in thirsties duo size 2 covers at like, 4 months, but now he's lost most of his belly and we're not even using the widest snap. So my advice is wait and see. They stop growing so astronomically fast, even the big'uns.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:25 am 

I need some diaper cover advice for a tall, skinny toddler. We use GMD brown edge (large) prefolds, and I don't have covers that fit very well. Thirsties duo size two on the highest rise work OK, but it's not a great fit. Bummis super snap wrap size medium is too small, size large is too big and wide for day wear (ok for the gigantic nighttime diaper). Are there any covers out there with a high rise that isn't too wide?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I feel terrible. I guess the fuzzibunz were getting too tight around the waist and now he has a horrible looking rash/bruise on the side in the back. It doesn"t seem to be hurting him (??) but it looks awful. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:52 am 
Chip Strong

What does everyone do for swimming? From what I read it seems like a lot of the swim diapers don't contain pee. We went to the beach this past weekend but just had Ada in a prefold and cover for wading into the ocean. And for the few times she's been in the sprinklers she also just had her prefolds and cover on.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:08 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

They are purposely designed not to contain pee because you don"t want them absorbing liquids. We have a Finis swim diaper. I hear Iplay are good. Our is a pull up, but it would be more convenient if it had velcro or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:27 am 

For wading where baby doesn't submerge her bottom, a prefold and cover would be fine, but like kimba says, for swimming, you want a swim diaper. Since Lydia is a major pooper (still have 3 sticky poops a day at 20 months old), I always do two layers. I use an iplay swim diaper with a Bummis whisper pant over it (which run HUGE), Our pool requires two diapers, but even when we go swimming someplace with no swim diaper policy, we use both. I'm hesitant to recommend the iplay swim diaper though since I recently bought a new one, and it's not as nice as the first one I bought a year ago. The old one was the kind with side snaps, and the new one is a simple pull on, and the difference in quality is really striking-- the new one is much stiffer and it just feels a bit cheap by comparison.

Last edited by helbury on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:27 am 
Married to the wolfman

mittenmacher wrote:
Yeah, Walter was bursting at the seams in thirsties duo size 2 covers at like, 4 months, but now he's lost most of his belly and we're not even using the widest snap. So my advice is wait and see. They stop growing so astronomically fast, even the big'uns.

Pretty much this. The Emperor was on the largest setting for the size 2 duo wraps by 4 months and the ones with the snaps could pretty much not be closed on him. (Part of why I really favored the velcro back then.) But his body shape changed so much that he ended up wearing them comfortably until he potty trained at a bit over 2, and I came to prefer the ones with the snaps too. Hilarious.

(I still like prefolds & covers more than anything else, though!)

The Magician is still wearing size 1 duo wraps at 5 months old, though I put him in the size 2 ones too. It's a huge surprise after E though.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:30 am 
Married to the wolfman

Oh, and re: the ocean, we just do prefold & cover. The Emperor has actually never been in a pool (we live at the ocean! it never seems important! but maybe this summer) but yeah, I would guess you would probably mind how wet/heavy a normal diaper would get in a pool.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:54 am 
Level 7 Vegan

For the pool we have a Charlie banana swim diaper. So far, so good, but it's untested by poop. At the ocean and in our yard I just let him be naked, but maybe that is frowned on in less crunchy areas...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:32 pm 
Chip Strong

Thanks everyone. So I guess with the swim diapers you need to change them out of it as soon as they get out of water or else pee will leak everywhere? Maybe we'll hold off on buying them until we decide to do swim lessons at a pool. It sounds like our normal diaper routine should work at the beach for now. Or naked baby sounds much easier mittenmacher!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:21 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Our pool requires us to use a regular diaper under the swim diaper, which is super annoying because the under-diaper absorbs a ton of water and is heavy at the end of swim time. Malka doesn't seem to care at all about that, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:05 am 
Bathes in Braggs

what's the point of that? why wear a swim diaper at all?

we have recently stopped wearing diapers to the pool though. she has a pretty obvious poop face and is extremely reluctant to poop in cold water anyway. she has never even come close to pooping in the pool in her two years. we were at a splash pad the other day, so she was just wearing her regular disposable and a t-shirt, and she came out of the sprinklers and stood up against the fence behind a tree to poop, and then came and told me so i could change her. haha.

in the pool, i just watch her, and might put a cover on her if we were going to be spending all day in the pool and she hadn't had her morning poop yet. maybe i'm gross, but i refuse to believe that even the most securely done up and layered disposable diaper combo is going to prevent some poop germies from getting washed into the water. i am pretty sure that most diaper rules at pools are just providing a false sense of security.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:12 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

The CDC seems to agree with you on false sense of security, but recommends using swim diapers and checking every 30 minutes for poo. http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimmin ... pants.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:19 am 

Man, I'm jealous of you guys who have kids that don't poop in the pool. Lydia is a frequent pooper for sure, but it almost seems that cold water MAKES her poop. We've only gone swimming a dozen or so times, and she's pooped 3 times in a pool! Whenever the topic of swim diapers come up, I seem to be the only parent who has a kid that likes to poop in the pool. I don't take my kid to the pool if she has any GI distress symptoms, so I hope I'm not contaminating the pool with my poopy daughter. Sigh. At least I can say that the diaper combination we use is poop-tested with no leaks....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:20 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

helbury wrote:
At least I can say that the diaper combination we use is poop-tested....

And successful?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:23 am 

Yes! I've never had any poop escape the iplay swim diaper. So, I feel pretty confident that the iplay swim diaper + bummis whisper pant over it will surely hold in all poop.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:38 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

helbury wrote:
Yes! I've never had any poop escape the iplay swim diaper. So, I feel pretty confident that the iplay swim diaper + bummis whisper pant over it will surely hold in all poop.

Cool, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:47 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

We use iPlay swim diapers. The swim school we go to requires two, but I've never had an issue with using a single at the public pools. Sven's only pooped once in the swim diaper, though, and his poops are kind of thick so it didn't really go anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:15 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Malka has never pooped in the pool and we go nearly every week, so she's been in 12-20 times.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 53  Next