| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: asking for help from Floridians
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:08 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Greetings all! Was wondering if anyone could tell me benefits and drawbacks regarding moving to FL. My husband and I are considering a move to southwest, FL. St. Petersburg caught our eye. Any info. on this place or any other great cities to consider would be great. We are looking for a place we can actually take walks with our daughter and dog and not risk life and limb. Any places have a lot of vegan options? All input would be appreciated!!

Post subject: Re: asking for help from Floridians
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I lived in Tampa for two years. St. Petersburg is the place to be if you're moving to Tampa Bay. Much more artsy fartsy and interesting, but overall, Florida's pretty much just a giant dumpster for people.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I live in St Pete ( and I've been to TN on more than a few occasions, madame...)

In most parts of St Petersburg, crime is relatively low. There are bike trails everywhere. There is also the Pinellas Trail. St. Pete is a mid-sized city (about 250,000 people). It's been recognized as a great city for the arts. Personally, I wouldn't really consider living anywhere else in FL. Kelly lives in the Panhandle, by the way.

The biggest reason people move here is for: the weather, the beaches, or family. Wages are lower here than in the Midwest or New England but the cost of living seems to be about the same. Because tourism is our biggest industry, our economy will recover a little bit behind the rest of the US. We need them to get spendy and go on vacation. It's hot for about 8-9 months of the year. Hot meaning that you will run your AC. If you don't have a working AC in your car, you will need to get one. I would visit in late August or early September and see if you can take the heat.

Remember that in Tampa Bay, you are hours from the state line so driving anywhere outside of FL is a trek. It will take me 11 hours to get to Asheville this summer.

There is a thread about Tampa Bay that lists the vegan food joints. There are places in the general area to get: vegan pizza, Indian food, Ethiopian, raw, and so forth. There is a Trader Joe's in Bradenton (about an hour south of St Pete) and a Whole Foods in Tampa. But there are at least 2 good local health food stores in St Pete and more than a few Asian markets. I've recently discovered a vegetarian Asian place that's not that expensive. It's in Pinellas Park, just outside St Pete. Orlando is about 1.5 hours away and they have some great vegan options.

It's very different living here versus other places. You are in the subtropics and things like gardening require an entirely different approach. Strawberry season, for example, is Jan to Feb.

Also, how do you feel about hurricanes? Realistically, you are not going to leave the state if a storm is coming.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm in northwest Florida- beaches are gorgeous but that's really the only awesome thing about this area. Do not recommend!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:14 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

There is such good good raw food in St. Pete! I only go there when one of my relatives is dying or has died, but despite that I always get excited about raw food.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:51 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

strawberryrock wrote:
There is such good good raw food in St. Pete! I only go there when one of my relatives is dying or has died, but despite that I always get excited about raw food.

So, Louzilla can tell me when she visits but not you? Harumph!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:29 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Vantine wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

So, Louzilla can tell me when she visits but not you? Harumph!

I have at least one more old relative there, so I could be back! Actually I might try and visit her while she is still healthy and then it might be less awkward to meet with internet friends. The raw food is REALLY GOOD, guys, and my mom was in this weird grieving mode where she just wanted me feed me vegan food constantly. The food they serve at the hospice I spent most of my time at last time I was there, not so much.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:44 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

There's a place on St Pete Beach I like. They are not as woo-filled preachy as some raw joints. But we need to go to Taco Bus.

I forgot to tell you that the city of St Pete now gives benefits to same sex partners of it's employees which I think is pretty nifty.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:20 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I am afraid that I must also tell you that Tampa/St. Pete has over the past 2 years had a a horrible problem with people walking or biking and being hit by cars. If you live near the Pinellas Trail, which is more on the Gulf side than on the Bay side, you are probably safe, or near a park; but anywere else, you may be taking your life into your hands. I feel like I hear about a hit and run at least once a week, sometimes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Walkwise Tampabay is a program started by the University of South Florida to educate bikers, pedestrians, and drivers on pedestrian safety. FL leads the US in pedestrian and cyclist deaths (both bicycle and motorcycle deaths).

Part of the problem is that there are parts of the county which are still very car-centric. St Pete does include funds for bike paths in their road budget. If you want to walk, you need to live in an area with sidewalks. Last year in Largo, FL there were five pedestrians killed in seven months. All of them crossed busy roads mid-block instead of going to a crosswalk. There have been efforts by local law enforcement to ticket people for jaywalking and drivers for failure to yield.

Florida's big growth occurred after WWII which contributed to the car-centric vibe to the place. But it's changing, slowly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:17 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I often say that I love St. Pete, but hate Florida. The endless heat gets old fast and I miss autumn. I don't mind the tropical storms so much since it is a nice change in weather occasionally. I also live in a part of St. Pete that does not flood, Shore acres and other neighborhoods close to the bay are notorious for flooding. I feel like St. Pete has a bit of everything for everyone and I love that our downtown are is always eventful. Biking is generally hazardous and I don't personally reccomend it, but a few people at my office bike to work and scooters are pretty popular here too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:17 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I have lived in St. Pete for over 10 years. If you love the heat this is the place to be. There is no spring or fall just endless summer with a small winter mixed in. Although it doesn't get too cold compared to living up North, it does feel cold to us Floridians.

The whole Tampa Bay area has some decent vegan food. Meze 119 and Vida de Cafe in St. Pete and Trang Viet in Tampa to name a few of my favorites. Plus you can find vegan options in most ethnic restaurants. I am not sure where you are moving from, but we can't compare to Portland, Austin, and NYC.

The Pinellas Trail is a great place to walk. Also there are many parks in St. Pete. Crescent Lake is one of my favorites.

Now that I have kids, I am thinking about moving to city that has more vegan options. I want them to be able to eat at vegan pizza joints and vegan ice cream parlors (once in awhile as a treat). I also want them to experience the change of seasons and snow I remember as a child. But this is my opinion.

If you move to St. Pete you might be interested in the vegan food swap I started. It is called St. Pete Vegan Food Swap. We gather every three months to swap. Every swap has a different theme.

Let us know what you decide to do. We could get together for a playdate.
crystaleatsveggies wrote:
I often say that I love St. Pete, but hate Florida. The endless heat gets old fast and I miss autumn. I don't mind the tropical storms so much since it is a nice change in weather occasionally. I also live in a part of St. Pete that does not flood, Shore acres and other neighborhoods close to the bay are notorious for flooding. I feel like St. Pete has a bit of everything for everyone and I love that our downtown are is always eventful. Biking is generally hazardous and I don't personally reccomend it, but a few people at my office bike to work and scooters are pretty popular here too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:43 pm 
Tofu Pup

I lived in St Augustine and went to school in Gainesville. They both have some pretty good vegan options, but St Aug is way too touristy.
Gainesville is a pretty nice town for Florida, although you are an hour or two from the beach. But there's a vegan ice cream shop, cupcake shop, and vegan pizza at Leo's and Satchel's! And Gville is pretty bike friendly. I miss it and its flat roads!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:42 am 
Tofu Pup

I've lived in Florida my whole life. If you HAVE to be here, St. Pete is a great option. Not TONS of vegan options but enough to get by. There are also lots of fun things to do there. I'll drive out there quite a bit to just spend a day in downtown or by the beaches.
Orlando is pretty seriously vegan UNFRIENDLY for being such a major city. And because there's so few option and no competition, the main vegan restaurant there is pretty bad.
There is literally nothing to do in Gainesville but they've got a lot of vegan food.
The Space Coast (basically all of Brevard County: Cocoa Beach, Merritt Island, Palm Bay, etc) is a really bad place for vegans. Very conservative meat heavy area. That's where I was raised.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:09 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Oh, update about food. Clearwater is getting a Mellow Mushroom, but no date for when it will be open. However, it will be on Gulf to Bay and across from the Clearwater Mall, so fairly accessible. So the area is improving, but slowly.