| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Talk to me about Greece
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:57 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

We are going there for our honeymoon in April. Yes, I know it's a million years away, but I want to get excited! Tell me about your amazing experiences, recommendations, EATS, etc... Please and thanks!

Post subject: Re: Talk to me about Greece
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:47 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I loved Greece although it was at least 10 years ago that I went. We traveled some of Ionian islands in an attempt to avoid hardcore tourists. It was also the beginning of September and there was just no one around, even the most beautiful beachon this island only had like 10 people it was so great. All the people we met were really nice and really happy we came there. There were also sea turtles you could see on Zakynthos! And olive trees everywhere! It was just wonderful. I remember eating lots of olives and making sandwiches. The only tough part was figuring out the ferry system. If you were island hopping it could get really confusing because they take off and then depart from different towns. We also went to ancient Olympia, the oracle of Delphi, and Athens all of which were really interesting especially if you have read a lot of the Greek myths.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

How lovely! I have friends from Athens and Thessaloniki. They are both omni, but I'm glad to put you in touch if you like.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:20 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My family are Greek and went there for a holiday in 2010. They loved all the ruins in Athens, Rhodes, Santorini, Meteora, museums. They didn't like Mykonos at all and regretted not going to Crete.

They're omni but some of the mezze dishes are vegan, like stuffed vine leaves (dolmathakia). Fasolatha is a Greek bean soup and vegan but some people make it with chicken or beef stock.

I'll ask my parents for more ideas :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:36 am 
WRETCHED

I loved Greece so much when I went, Crete was my most favorite place. I'd highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:13 am 

Thanks guys! I am really looking forward to it. It looks like we'll be flying to the UK first to visit all of my family, then head to the islands. I'm so excited!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:43 pm 
Inflexitarian

We honeymooned in Greece! We spent a week in Athens and a week in Rhodes. I ate a lot of gigantes (big saucy beans), greek salads minus feta, and dolmades (this is tricky though because the sauce sometimes has egg). I also bravely ate a lot of bread that I crossed my fingers and prayed was vegan. At a couple of places I scored stuffed peppers and tomatoes, and I found hummus at one place (yeah, it's not actually a big thing there, sadly). Happy eats!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:30 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

ask blueheart, she's got a vegan cafe in athens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:23 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My boyfriend and I spent two weeks in Greece at the end of March/beginning of April. It was gorgeous and I totally recommend it. The weather was perfect. We rented a car and drove around the mainland a bit, and also went to Crete and a little island off the beaten path way up north called Limnos. If you're going early in April be careful about the ferry schedules between islands- many of them don't start running frequently until later in the month. That's why we didn't get to see too many of the islands. There are still ferries from Athens/Thessaloniki, but not so much between the islands directly.

We did not find the food situation difficult at all. Everyone we dealt with at restaurants spoke good English and we were able to explain what we wanted. I did learn the Greek words for asking for food without dairy products/eggs/etc. just in case although I didn't really ever need it. In general people seemed to speak very good English almost everywhere, so I found it easier to just communicate in English vs. my pathetic Greek, with the exception of Hello, Goodbye, Please and Thank You, which I think is just polite to use the native language. People were very friendly and helpful. We saw signs of the economic distress (graffiti, a couple of burned out banks, the lovely lady who gave us a guided tour of the Acropolis was an out of work teacher of art history) but overall did not experience any problems. I was almost pickpocketed after using an ATM in Athens- I felt someone messing with my backpack and turned around quickly and saw a guy scurry away and my zipper had been opened an inch. I'm pretty sure he had been watching me at the ATM and followed me and knew right where I had put the money. Other than that I never felt unsafe, even walking around at night. As with anywhere it is important to just be aware of your surroundings and be careful of your baggage.

I recommend looking at Happy Cow- their list is pretty good.

We ate a lot of Greek salads without cheese, fried eggplant, tomatoes and peppers stuffed with rice and seasonings, grilled mushrooms, stuffed grape leaves. A couple of places we stayed in hotel rooms with a small kitchen so we were able to cook our own food (which I like to do anyway, vegan aside, because I get tired of always eating in restaurants). A couple of times we didn't have a kitchen and didn't feel like going out to eat so we just got lettuce, cucumber, tomato, onion, lemon, olive oil, bread, and tins of stuffed grape leaves from a grocery and made salad in our room (we bought a cheap big plastic bowl to use for this).

In the more touristy towns there are a ton of restaurants that obviously cater toward tourists and have the same old hamburgers/pasta/schnitzel/souvlaki type menus. We avoided these and looked for more traditional places.

If you go to Chania in Crete, I HIGHLY recommend going to To Stachi. It's all vegetarian and organic, and mostly vegan. The owner/chef Stelios is one of those people who you feel like you've known for years even though you just met them. We went for lunch and had the best meal we had of the whole trip- lots of freshly prepared traditional vegetable dishes and homemade bread. Wild mountain greens salad- Stelios goes and picks the greens himself- he showed us a plant with the roots still on it so we could see what it looked like.

If you want specific recommendations for places to go and hotels to stay in I can give you that info too. Don't want to ramble on too much!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:45 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I haven't been, but I just recently saw these blog posts about Santorini (she links to her hotel in there), and it shot up to the top of my must-see list.

Pretty pretty pictures:

http://www.exploredreamdiscoverblog.com ... ality.html

http://www.exploredreamdiscoverblog.com ... reece.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:40 pm 

pixel wrote:
My boyfriend and I spent two weeks in Greece at the end of March/beginning of April. It was gorgeous and I totally recommend it. The weather was perfect. We rented a car and drove around the mainland a bit, and also went to Crete and a little island off the beaten path way up north called Limnos. If you're going early in April be careful about the ferry schedules between islands- many of them don't start running frequently until later in the month. That's why we didn't get to see too many of the islands. There are still ferries from Athens/Thessaloniki, but not so much between the islands directly.

We did not find the food situation difficult at all. Everyone we dealt with at restaurants spoke good English and we were able to explain what we wanted. I did learn the Greek words for asking for food without dairy products/eggs/etc. just in case although I didn't really ever need it. In general people seemed to speak very good English almost everywhere, so I found it easier to just communicate in English vs. my pathetic Greek, with the exception of Hello, Goodbye, Please and Thank You, which I think is just polite to use the native language. People were very friendly and helpful. We saw signs of the economic distress (graffiti, a couple of burned out banks, the lovely lady who gave us a guided tour of the Acropolis was an out of work teacher of art history) but overall did not experience any problems. I was almost pickpocketed after using an ATM in Athens- I felt someone messing with my backpack and turned around quickly and saw a guy scurry away and my zipper had been opened an inch. I'm pretty sure he had been watching me at the ATM and followed me and knew right where I had put the money. Other than that I never felt unsafe, even walking around at night. As with anywhere it is important to just be aware of your surroundings and be careful of your baggage.

I recommend looking at Happy Cow- their list is pretty good.

We ate a lot of Greek salads without cheese, fried eggplant, tomatoes and peppers stuffed with rice and seasonings, grilled mushrooms, stuffed grape leaves. A couple of places we stayed in hotel rooms with a small kitchen so we were able to cook our own food (which I like to do anyway, vegan aside, because I get tired of always eating in restaurants). A couple of times we didn't have a kitchen and didn't feel like going out to eat so we just got lettuce, cucumber, tomato, onion, lemon, olive oil, bread, and tins of stuffed grape leaves from a grocery and made salad in our room (we bought a cheap big plastic bowl to use for this).

In the more touristy towns there are a ton of restaurants that obviously cater toward tourists and have the same old hamburgers/pasta/schnitzel/souvlaki type menus. We avoided these and looked for more traditional places.

If you go to Chania in Crete, I HIGHLY recommend going to To Stachi. It's all vegetarian and organic, and mostly vegan. The owner/chef Stelios is one of those people who you feel like you've known for years even though you just met them. We went for lunch and had the best meal we had of the whole trip- lots of freshly prepared traditional vegetable dishes and homemade bread. Wild mountain greens salad- Stelios goes and picks the greens himself- he showed us a plant with the roots still on it so we could see what it looked like.

If you want specific recommendations for places to go and hotels to stay in I can give you that info too. Don't want to ramble on too much!

Super helpful, thanks! We are now debating between Greece or Eqypt with a possible trip to Israel or Ethiopia? I dunno. I can't decide!