| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oh, Pretty Vegan - help me build a vegan beauty blog!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I sent emails to a few skincare companies (Murad, Mario Badescu, Derma E, and Alba) and a ton of haircare companies (including H20 Plus who have skin and hair products. Just waiting on replies.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:40 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I sent an email to Stila, but I didn't even get the auto response acknowledging my email, so I'm not holding my breath. I emailed Sephora about several of their items, but received a canned reply that they don't test. I was really tempted to write back and ask if they had any reading comprehension skills whatsoever, but decided it's probably someone who has no idea what we're on about.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:33 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Calling Murad is easier. I use one product I had to call on.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:41 pm 
WELFARIST!

I hate when I take the time out to write to them and they don't even reply.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:22 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Erinnerung wrote:
I'm in! Australia is totally lacking a one-stop list of vegan beauty products (a couple of weeks ago I seriously spent about 20 minutes standing in a pharmacy Googling vegan hairspray on my phone, and got nowhere), so I'm happy to cover some stuff on that front. I'm also keen to get more into DIY beauty stuff, so I'd love to try and review 'recipes' or whatever.

DeLorenzo!

I'd like to help out, I have some info on Aussie brands of nail polish and Jessi and I have been in contact with Paul Mitchell and I've been in contact with KMS too, I'll go through my emails.

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Beg Amanda to make me a banner.

YEAH! The website is going to be awesome just because of this!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:20 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

My boss is in Chicago today, which means I have nothing to do* so i'm going to work on the blog all day, then this weekend i'm going to ask Brian to help me make it not uggo and then launch it no matter what, because a skeletal blog is better than no blog at all.

Also for now, i'm just going to use the banner I made for facebook and once we get the ball rolling, if people want to chip in so I can PAY Amanda, we'll get a spiffy design. I hate asking her for free things, even if they're simple.

*I mean, I never have anything to do but it's hard for me to get this stuff done when he keeps coming out of his office.

ALSO if you want to PM me your email, I can add some people as blog admins/mods/writers, whatever.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:40 am 

Okay, I know we had some argument on here about use of the term 'biological sex', so here is what I wrote for the faq page about mens products:

Quote:
I'm specifically looking for mens products, is there a mens section?

We feature products that are generally marketed towards men, but we don't have a specific mens section because that is pretty sexist/gender biased. The beauty industry already has enough of that, so we'd rather try to keep things more awesome here. Guys can wear eyeliner, girls can wear cologne, and there are transgender people who may present themselves as one way, and still need/use products intended for their biological sex. We don't want anyone to feel excluded or weird, basically, so posts will be tagged with the product type, like 'deodorant' 'cologne' 'shaving cream', and so forth.

And since I am a cisgendered hetero, I want to make sure that there isn't better terminology I could use, or if I need to add something in, or do I even need to have the part about guys, girls, and transgenders at all? I definitely want it in here because a) someone WILL ask this eventually and b) it will make people think, and thinking is good.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:42 am 

P.S. 'products intended for their biological sex' is a polite way of saying 'tampons'.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:45 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I got a bunch of samples I ordered from Shiro Cosmetics the other day! I would totally write about them. Or anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:59 pm 

Exciting! I made a contact form with some loose guidelines for submitting, but it's basically, the products must actually be vegan (durr), don't cuss too much*, non-blurry photos, and we will glance over your review/article for grammatical/spelling errors, but we will never alter your words.

*this forking pains me, but i'm trying to think of people who aren't as foul as me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:10 pm 
ugh

MBM, I would say "sex assigned at birth" rather than "biological sex" but defer to whatever trans folks think is best obviously.

ETA: Sorry to randomly jump in this thread, I've been following along but not posting thus far. (And I liked your page!)

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:53 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I just realized I've never actually read a makeup review, so I guess I should do that! mbm, you were the one who really liked half baked by UD, right? You should try Triumph from Shiro!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:57 pm 
Chip Strong

MBM - I really like most of the faq about men's products! One suggestion I'd make is to just skip the part about trans people. You could maybe write something like: "Guys can wear eyeliner, girls can wear cologne, and "feminine hygiene" products aren't just for feminine folks".
I think that if you say something like that, it's more welcoming and inclusive than specifically singling out trans people. It also avoids making assumptions about who may or may not need to use things like tampons etc - which it sounds like you're definitely trying to avoid! You could always just skip that line altogether and say something more like: "People of all genders can and do use cosmetics/beauty products/whatever, and we want to make this a welcoming space for all gender expressions" and leave it at that.

I agree also that using "sex assigned at birth" is a better term than "biological sex", if you choose to go with that. It's a more commonly-used term in trans communities so is going to immediately be more welcoming for a trans person reading it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:50 pm 

Thanks gunk! I like the 'feminine folks' thing.

strawberryrock wrote:
I just realized I've never actually read a makeup review, so I guess I should do that! mbm, you were the one who really liked half baked by UD, right? You should try Triumph from Shiro!

I found this link:

http://www.enjoy-your-style.com/makeup-review-tips.html

And I did! I do have two ELF mineral golds, but neither of them is quite as awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:40 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

i would love to help out & contribute:) i'm a make up/skin care junkie & already spend a lot of time researching ingredients & companies.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:43 am 

Okay, next step: Wordpress has this neat feature where I can add people to the blog, and they can write blog posts that go into a moderation queue. So if you think you want to write anything at all, you can basically log in and write it whenever you want and we'll just check it for spelling/grammar (and veganess, obvs) and then schedule it to go up. I'm still going to have a form for people to submit article ideas because I still would like to moderately trust you to write about all vegan things so I don't have to be like, "You have to edit the shiitake out of this." all the time. But I think here we keep each other pretty informed on veganess and stuff, so if you think you'd like to post semi-regularly about anything, PM me your email address and i'll add you as a contributor.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:35 pm 
WELFARIST!

I emailed VO5 and they never emailed me back so hopefully someone here can help me. VO5 isn't tested on animals but I was wondering if their ingredients (in the shampoos and conditioners) were vegan? For the most part, I haven't seen anything that doesn't look vegan; even the "milk" ones are made with soy milk.

I have kind of the same question about St. Ives products. Some of them say that they don't contain animal products but other products don't have that label on them but don't seem to have any non-vegan ingredients in them. I've mainly noticed it with their body washes. Anyone know anything about that?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:42 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

i think some st. ives products contain collagen &/or elastin.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:57 pm 
WELFARIST!

sharky wrote:

Right, I just haven't seen those in the ingredients.

Edit, here's a couple ingredients list from their site:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:08 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I emailed VO5 and they never emailed me back so hopefully someone here can help me. VO5 isn't tested on animals but I was wondering if their ingredients (in the shampoos and conditioners) were vegan? For the most part, I haven't seen anything that doesn't look vegan; even the "milk" ones are made with soy milk.

I have kind of the same question about St. Ives products. Some of them say that they don't contain animal products but other products don't have that label on them but don't seem to have any non-vegan ingredients in them. I've mainly noticed it with their body washes. Anyone know anything about that?

I don't have info on VO5 but White Rain states on their website that they don't do animal testing or use animal based ingredients. At least one of their conditioners uses honey though.

http://www.whiterain.com/qna.asp

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

bunniee wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
I don't have info on VO5 but White Rain states on their website that they don't do animal testing or use animal based ingredients. At least one of their conditioners uses honey though.

http://www.whiterain.com/qna.asp

Yeah, I knew about White Rain but the problem is that I can't find their products anywhere! I've checked 3 grocery stores, Rite-Aid, 3 different CVS's and found nothing. I've even checked in two states.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:13 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Mr. Shankly wrote:
sharky wrote:

Right, I just haven't seen those in the ingredients.

Edit, here's a couple ingredients list from their site:

...oooops! sorry, spaced out on the last part of your post:P yeah, that is weird, and it also doesn't say anything about no animal testing, either:(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

sharky wrote:
...oooops! sorry, spaced out on the last part of your post:P yeah, that is weird, and it also doesn't say anything about no animal testing, either:(

On the bottles in the stores it says "No Animal Testing" on them (on all of the products). I think these may be older photos.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:09 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I'm always wary of glycerin (unless it says vegetable) and anything with "stearate" or "stearic acid"- I think those can go either way. Of course, both of those in the St. Ives products could be vegan, but I don't know what half of the other stuff on those labels are!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:40 pm 
WELFARIST!

Just emailed them. Hopefully they'll email me back.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next