| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unexplained Nausea
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:42 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I've been having off and on bouts of nausea for a couple of weeks now; Usually it seems to be brought on by eating or drinking. As in, I will have a few bites and suddenly feel sick to my stomach. Lately, it also happens whenever I drink beer. I will have one beer and suddenly feel extremely ill. I have never actually vomited, but I do sometimes get the runs. This happened to me about three years ago and I had a number of tests done then by several doctors and no one was able to find anything wrong with me. At the time, it went away after several months. I suppose what I'm looking for is your advice on how to soothe the nausea. Anyone have any sure feel better remedies?

Post subject: Re: Unexplained Nausea
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:53 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Does it happen every time you eat?
Obviously my number 1 recommendation is to go to the doctor, but also you could keep a food diary and write down whenever you feel sick, and lastly, quit drinking beer!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:59 am 

Haha, yeah... I pretty much don't drink anymore, but every now and again I think, "oh, surely it will be ok!" And I ought to keep a food diary, thanks for reminding me. I haven't been able to find any patterns in it... lately it's just been maybe I would feel that way or not depending on the day.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:05 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Long shots but have you started taking any supplements? Or been on a diet where you've tried to cut your calories a lot?

For nausea the usual recommendation is ginger. I also find a little mustard with my food helps (which is weird since in larger quantities it's an emetic). That's usually for hangover related nausea so your mileage may vary.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:06 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

papercuts wrote:
Haha, yeah... I pretty much don't drink anymore, but every now and again I think, "oh, surely it will be ok!" And I ought to keep a food diary, thanks for reminding me. I haven't been able to find any patterns in it... lately it's just been maybe I would feel that way or not depending on the day.

the cool thing about keeping a food diary is that it might not be obvious what the pattern is, but when you look at a diary you might realize that all the foods you were eating had a common ingredient, not necessarily the main ingredient. The foods might be totally different from each other so it'd be hard to notice it without writing it down.

ginger tea can for settling the stomach

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:29 am 

No new supplements, and no diet restrictions, but I have been more active than before; riding my bike and running a little more than usual.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:56 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

ginger, as people have said, helps but also peppermint. The smell of peppermint and peppermint tea. We use it (the scent) in the post anesthesia recovery room at the hospital sometimes to help nausea post-surgery.

I'd also try an elimination diet with common triggers such a gluten, soy, etc. Eliminate them for a couple weeks, see if you feel better, and then bring them back one at a time and see if anything triggers the feeling again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:10 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I would check in with your doctor again - although this seems the same as what happened before, it's important to make sure there aren't any warning signs of something more serious.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:41 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have unexplained nausea, vomitting, and the "d" word I don't like the say. I have had it for a year and a half, have had blood tests, been on stomach acid reducers, been treated for the H. Pylori bacteria, and had a endoscopy (only showing bile in the stomach). Since March I have been keeping a food diary, but haven't been to the dr lately because I hate hearing they don't know what is wrong. I was vomiting about one to two times a month while feeling nausea pretty much like all the time. Eating sometimes makes it feel better for a little bit. Now I take Zofran when I know for a fact I will throw up, and that stops it. Actually that is why I made my way to this forum. I have been trying to figure out my problems and have completely changed up my diet. Well that and all the other reasons. I am better off now then a year ago, but still have the symptoms every once and awhile.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Three-to-one you're pregnant.